Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page 1967
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.28.2014, 07:45 AM   #1
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I have recently listened a lot of albums released in 1967 and find them all great! There came a document "It was twenty years ago" from Finland television in 1987 & since then I have thought 1967 was very important year in music. But still I have been suprised how many great albums has released then Iīve ever heard before. Of course the most of the great albums has made in the period of 1965-1975, but I think the most creative peak was in 1967. There has come great artists after 1975 ( such as Sonic Youth, Nick Cave, P.J. Harvey, Kate Bush, Jon Spencer & John Parish) but the commonly music has gone to the worse direction after 1975. Of course there has made "candy"-albums also in 1967 (I have had no interest to listen Petula Clark).

Here are the albums I have listened:
the Beatles: Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
the Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Axis: Bold as Love
the Doors: the Doors
the Doors: Strange Days
Leonard Cohen: Songs Of Leonard Cohen
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band: Safe As Milk
the Who: the Who Sell Out
Traffic: Mr. Fantasy
Big Brother and the Holding Company: Big Brother and the Holdind Co
the Kinks: Something Else By the Kinks
Cream: Disraeli Gears
Bob Dylan: John Wesley Harding
Bob Dylan and the Band: the Basement Tapes (recorded 1967, released 1975)
Jefferson Airplane: Surrealistic Pillow
Jefferson Airplane: After Bathing at Baxterīs
Grateful Dead: Grateful Dead
Blues Section: Blues Section
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Love: Forever Changes
Yardbirds: Little Games
13th Floors Elevators: Eastern Everywhere
Red Crayola: the Parable Of Arable Land
the Ventures: Guitar Freakout
the Ventures: Super Psychedelics
the Ventures: $1,000 000 Weekend
the Rolling Stones: Between the Buttons
the Rolling Stones: Their Satanic Majesties Request (a lot better than itīs reputation)
Pink Floyd: the Piper at the Gates Of Dawn
Velvet Underground: Velvet Underground & Nico
the Mothers Of Invention: Absolutely Free
Frank Zappa: Lumpy Gravy
Kaleidoscope (uk): Tangerine Dream (quite unknown masterpiece)
Kaleidoscope (us): Side TRIPS
Blossom Toes: We are ever so clean (also quite unknown masterpiece)
Country Joe & the Fish: Electric Music for the Mind & the Body
Country Joe & the Fish: I-feel-like-Iīm-fixinī-to-die
Old 09.28.2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Pretty Things: Emotions (not really as great as their later albums, but quite symphatic)
Eric Burdon & the Animals: Eric is Here
Eric Burdon & the Animals: Wind Of Change
Sly and the family Stone: a Whole new thing
the Nice: Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack
Procol Harum: Procol Harum
Small Faces: Small Faces
Vanilla Fudge: Vanilla Fudge
Canned Heat: Canned Heat
Dantalianīs Chariot: Chariot Rising (recorded 1967, released 1996, again masterpiece, really hard to understand why this wasnīt released 1967)
Old 09.28.2014, 08:13 AM   #4
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

The Temptations: With a lot OīSoul
the Temptations: in a Mellow Mood
the Temptations: Temptations Live
David Bowie: David Bowie
Judy Collins: Wildflowers
Joan Baez: Joan
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band: Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band: Ricochet
Moody Blues: Days Of Future Passed
the Butterfield Blues Band: the Resurrection of Pigboy Crabshaw
Buffalo Springfield: Buffalo Springfield Again
Old 09.28.2014, 08:18 AM   #5
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Stevie Wonder: I was Made To Love Her
Beach Boys: Smiley Smile
Beach Boys: Wild Honey
Donovan: Mellow Yellow
Donovan: a Gift From a flower to a garden
Otis Redding & Carla Thomas: King & Queen
Hansson & Karlsson: Monument
James Brown: Sings Raw Soul
James Brown: Plays the Reak thing
James Brown: Live at the Garden
the James Brown show
Sam & Dave: Soul Men
Old 09.28.2014, 08:23 AM   #6
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Ten Years After: Ten Years After
Van Morrison: Blowin Your Mind
HP Lovecraft: Hp Lovecraft (another unknown masterpiece)
Beat Of the Earth: Beat Of the Earth (this too)
Sun Ra: Strange Strings
John Coltrane: Expression
Miles Davis: Miles Smiles
Miles Davis: Sorcerer
Miles Davis: Nefertiti
The Supremes: the Supremes sing Holland-Dozier-Holland
the Supremes: the Supremes sing Rodgers & Hart
Thelonius Monk: Straight, No Chaser
Moby Grape: Moby Grape
the David: Another Day, Another Lifetime (again unknown masterpiece)
Old 09.28.2014, 08:27 AM   #7
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

the Hollies: Evolution
the Hollies: Butterfly
the Youngbloods: the Youngbloods
the Youngbloods: Earth Music
the Masters Apprentices: the Masters Apprentices
Troggs: Trogglodynamite
Troggs: Cellophane
the Zodiac: Cosmic Sounds
the Paupers: Magic People
Electric Prunes: Electric Prunes (again masterpiece)
Electric Prunes: Underground (this too)
Holy Modal Rounders: Indian War Whoop
Chocolate Watchband: No Way Out
Old 09.28.2014, 08:32 AM   #8
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Ceyleib People: Tanyet (masterpiece!)
Incredible String Band: the 5000 Spirits or the Layers Of the Orion
Savoy Brown: Shake Down
Id: the Inner Sounds of the Id (recorded 1967, released 2005, again masterpiece)
Nico: Chelsea Girl
the Outsiders (Dutch): Outsiders
the Outsiders (Us): In
Art: Supernatural Fairytales (Masterpiece!)
the Creation: We Are Paintermen
Bee Gees: Bee Gees 1st (really underrated, as great as Beatles Revolver)
Old 09.28.2014, 08:37 AM   #9
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band: Part One
the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band: Vol. 2 (Breaking Through)
the Mamas & the Papas: the Mamas & the Papas Deliver
Scott McKenzie: the Voice of Scott McKenzie (this is lot better than I thought)
the Tremeloes: Alan, Dave, Rick & Chip
the Tremeloes: Here Come the Tremeloes
Index: Index "black label album"
John Mayall Bluesbrakers: Hard Road
John Mayall Bluesbrakers: Crusade
John Mayall: Blues Alone
the Deviants: Ptooff! (again masterpiece!)
the Haunted: the Haunted
Sonics: Introducing the Sonics
Old 09.28.2014, 08:43 AM   #10
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

the Dave Clark Five: 5 By 5
the Dave Clark Five: You got What it takes
Blues Project: Live at the town hall
Booker T & the MGīs: Hip Hug-her
the Mar-Keys and Booker t & the Mg:s: Back To Back
Fugs: Virgin Fugs
Pearls Before Swine: One Nation Underground (masterpiece!)
the Third Rail: Id Music
the Turtles: Happy Together (underrated masterpiece, really not an album made round one hit song)
Strawberry Alarm Clock: Incense & Peppermints (masterpiece!)

If somebody knows more great albums of the 1967, specially outside Us & Uk, recommend them me!
Old 09.28.2014, 05:13 PM   #11
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Jacques Brel - Le dernier concert (Roubaix 1967)

here's a clip of Jimi playbacking on Belgian TV. I know, not an album but still cool:
Jimi Hendrix Stone Free & Hey Joe Tienerklanken TV show (1967)

not so sure if there was any worthy music in Holland that time, all I could find was this:

Child Singing Star Heintje Simons, Age 12, Sings "Mama" 1967

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2014, 09:17 AM   #12
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Jacques Brel - Le dernier concert (Roubaix 1967)

not so sure if there was any worthy music in Holland that time, all I could find was this:

Child Singing Star Heintje Simons, Age 12, Sings "Mama" 1967

This is really great! Never heard this man before, but saw just Ediath Piaf-document & thought I must listen her. It seems Brel has made also studio album in 1967, have to listen it also. Wikipedia says David Bowie & Leonard Cohen have listened him, I think Cave has also.

here's a clip of Jimi playbacking on Belgian TV. I know, not an album but still cool:
Jimi Hendrix Stone Free & Hey Joe Tienerklanken TV show (1967)

Good piece. Jimi had also a gig in Helsinki, but unfortunately this is only piece from it (not music in it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icEWIKNJznU

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be9brLb54vs"]Child Singing Star Heintje Simons, Age 12, Sings "Mama" 1967 [/URL

Really funny! Well, it seems "the spirit of 67" came many countries little bit later than 67, but this has made in 67, itīs from Holland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaTMbwi1EVU

Some funny thing from Finland 1967:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h00roFBLCc4
Old 09.30.2014, 01:26 PM   #13
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
if you want to listen to Brel, I recommend the live shows over his albums, at least that's what I listen to most. Some links:
A BBC documentary: Jacques Brel - Legends (Documentaire BBC - 2007)
it's quite well explained in the documentary why his live shows were so impressive, so I won't be doing it.
My favourites are his (two?) live albums at the Olympia in Paris. One is on youtube (as actual movie): Jacques Brel - Les adieux ā l'Olympia ( 1966 )
but my all time favourite is the one from 1964, it should be possible to find that as single tracks on youtube. It was in high rotation in my car for a very long time (that's about five years ago).

this is also a very good quality vid:
Jacques Brel in concert (1964)(in Netherlands)
1967 is not his best year probably either, he was burnt out already. He was doing farewell tours in 1966 and 1967.

Damn, and now that we're talking about the French music. Here's another legend. This was also 1967:

Brigitte Bardot & Serge Gainsbourg - Je t'aime ,moi non plus
That song is very cheesy and therefor totally underrated, but check out some of his other work, he's so good. This one for instance from 1971:

Histoire De Melody Nelson
you can probably look up the English translation somewhere
One of my all time favourite classic albums, together with Crosby Stills Nash & Young, and all their solo efforts from around that time

Oh the Outsiders. Cool, are they known in your country? I don't really know them, Wally Tax (the singer) is (was?) a famous name over here, but I never listened to him.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2014, 07:27 PM   #14
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I have recently listened a lot of albums released in 1967 and find them all great! There came a document "It was twenty years ago" from Finland television in 1987 & since then I have thought 1967 was very important year in music. But still I have been suprised how many great albums has released then Iīve ever heard before. Of course the most of the great albums has made in the period of 1965-1975, but I think the most creative peak was in 1967. There has come great artists after 1975 ( such as Sonic Youth, Nick Cave, P.J. Harvey, Kate Bush, Jon Spencer & John Parish) but the commonly music has gone to the worse direction after 1975. Of course there has made "candy"-albums also in 1967 (I have had no interest to listen Petula Clark).

you pretty much nailed it with this list but 1967 was not the musical creative peak of anything. yes, most popular genres at the time evolved into something more mature and definite, but maybe 71 to 75 can claim to be the worst just like from 96 to 2000. in my opinion. another high peak is between 2001 and 2010 and we're currently going through some greasy shit hole now where 'pop' seems to be interesting and everything else bores.

yeah. motown, soul, james brown, the doors, VU, the stones, beatles, captain beefheart pretty much set everything into place.

most of my favorite albums are between the years of 76 to 94. or whats most commonly known for me as the post punk years. i mean where would the world be without the Ramones or Devo or Kraftwerk, SY, Pixies, Black Flag, Joy Division, Wire, late 70's David Bowie, early hip hop? theres a shit load of tremedously influential records between said time. 67 has too much fluff and hippy fiippy junk( as yr list shows) and not very realistic as the late 70's and 80's. it's all irrelevant anyway.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2014, 11:18 PM   #15
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
if you want to listen to Brel, I recommend the live shows over his albums, at least that's what I listen to most. Some links:
it's quite well explained in the documentary why his live shows were so impressive, so I won't be doing it.
My favourites are his (two?) live albums at the Olympia in Paris. One is on youtube (as actual movie): Jacques Brel - Les adieux ā l'Olympia ( 1966 )
but my all time favourite is the one from 1964, it should be possible to find that as single tracks on youtube. It was in high rotation in my car for a very long time (that's about five years ago).

1967 is not his best year probably either, he was burnt out already. He was doing farewell tours in 1966 and 1967.

Damn, and now that we're talking about the French music. Here's another legend. This was also 1967:

That song is very cheesy and therefor totally underrated, but check out some of his other work, he's so good. This one for instance from 1971:

One of my all time favourite classic albums, together with Crosby Stills Nash & Young, and all their solo efforts from around that time

Oh the Outsiders. Cool, are they known in your country? I don't really know them, Wally Tax (the singer) is (was?) a famous name over here, but I never listened to him.
Thanx for your recommendations! I will listen them! But I think I also listen that studio album, because I really love artists studios, specially 1967 made studio-albums! Well, I donīt think Outsiders are known in Finland, that album just came to me, when I listened other 1967 albums in youtube.
Old 09.30.2014, 11:22 PM   #16
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss

most of my favorite albums are between the years of 76 to 94. or whats most commonly known for me as the post punk years. i mean where would the world be without the Ramones or Devo or Kraftwerk, SY, Pixies, Black Flag, Joy Division, Wire, late 70's David Bowie, early hip hop? theres a shit load of tremedously influential records between said time. 67 has too much fluff and hippy fiippy junk( as yr list shows) and not very realistic as the late 70's and 80's. it's all irrelevant anyway.
I donīt think any of bands you named has done anything that had already done in 65-75. I really love Sy & Joy Division, but I donīt think theyīve added much for that what Velvet Underground, Stooges, MC5, 13th Floor Elevators & Red Crayola had already done. Well synths hadnīt invented in 67, but I think I would be glad if theyīve never invented. And even you think there are too much junk in my list, I really enjoyed listen all of them. And I think this is first hip-hop song and never bothered much what has came after this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KngOuqUm-mQ
Old 09.30.2014, 11:48 PM   #17
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
snyths added new textures and sounds. it would be sad if they weren't invented.

the 60's were amazing yea and the early 70's had king crimson, krautrock, the stooges, and black sabbath.

i've never heard introducing the Sonics or a Strawberry Alarm clock album and would imagine both to be gross but then again i have a bad habit of doing this.

to each their own Mortte Jousimo. i can't sleep.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2014, 01:33 AM   #18
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
snyths added new textures and sounds. it would be sad if they weren't invented.

the 60's were amazing yea and the early 70's had king crimson, krautrock, the stooges, and black sabbath.

i've never heard introducing the Sonics or a Strawberry Alarm clock album and would imagine both to be gross but then again i have a bad habit of doing this.

to each their own Mortte Jousimo. i can't sleep.
Please try, sleeping is one of my favourite hobbies (Sometimes I also have difficulties in it, itīs ugly).
Old 10.12.2014, 04:15 AM   #19
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:

Finally I have had time to watch your recommendations. I have become huge Brel-fan in a short time! Also listened that 1967-album, its also amazing, not a sign of burnout in it! I think itīs really unbelievable how he made it in his time, because he was quite ahead of his time! But he just seemed to be in a right Place in right time. Of course heīs not still as known in the whole world as he deserved. Naturally I didnīt understand any of his words, but that doesnīt bother me at all.

Gainsbourgīs Jītaime is really too cheesy to me. I have heard quite young that awful Donna Summer 15-minutes version, so I just canīt take serious it. Also there is awful Finnish joke version from that. BUT that Histoire De Melody Nelson is just great!!! I really loved the music and also that 70ties naive short movie! Going to watch & listen it again!
Old 12.21.2014, 08:56 AM   #20
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Just found this really great album from 1967:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrb96L63XSU

She has been Kate Bush of sixties! Really shame her first album is not in Spotify or Youtube.

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth