Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Pavement
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.22.2006, 07:41 AM   #1
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Lets give it up for the indie guitar swing merchants that are Pavement, one of my all time favorirtes... i wanna know

Whats your favorite Album and Song?

Have you ever seen em live?

Which do you prefer now Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks/Preston School of Industry?

Do you or would you like to see them re-form?
fishmonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 07:52 AM   #2
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I love Pavement, good thread. Personally my favorite album would have to be Slanted & Enchanted deluxe, and one of my favorite pavement songs is Spit on a Stranger. I wish I saw them live, but there's always SM& the Jicks. I have no clue who I would prefer, but judging his entire solo career, I'd have to go with Preston School of Industry since I really didn't like Pig Lib, but Face The Truth was well done.

I'd like to seem them reform for maybe a tour or something, but nothing permanent so they have no chance of burning out.
Old 03.22.2006, 08:19 AM   #3
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey
Lets give it up for the indie guitar swing merchants that are Pavement, one of my all time favorirtes... i wanna know

Whats your favorite Album and Song?

Have you ever seen em live?

Which do you prefer now Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks/Preston School of Industry?

Do you or would you like to see them re-form?

Favourite album, i like them all the same except wowee zowee which ive never really been able to love, but when im in a certain mood i seem to like wowee zowee best, oddly. Favourite song is Shady Lane, Black out, or the alternate version of Grounded. And im too young so i never seen em live.

"Steven Malkmus" and "Face the truth" were both really good so im not so concerned with a reunion yet. Ive only heard the one preston school of industry song, it was alright but i dunno if id want a whole album.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
It's songs like "Here" and "We Dance" that really make me admire Pavement. Overall I like Silver Jews better than all of them, it's Stephen's project with David Berman, and Steve West is in it too (from Free Kitten). They have a folkish sound and Stephen is the backup vocals.
Old 03.22.2006, 09:19 AM   #5
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Not to be a dick, but music goes in non-sonic sonics...
I don't know why they had to pick such a stupid confusing name...

Anyway, Pavement ist rad. I like them a lot. I have the two deluxe and Wowee Zowee.

Edit: It's been moved...
Old 03.22.2006, 09:21 AM   #6
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
yeah i know what you mean about "Wowee Zowee" ikara cult, i love it some days and some days i does nothing for me, whats the altenate version of grounded. where can i get that?
and i know what you mean about "Pig Lib" Inhuman but i love "Face the Truth" i really thought it was a return to form,
my fave album/song is Terror Twilight/Platform Blues
Never saw em live (but i do have a friend who saw em at the reading festival in the UK but didnt even like them) to quote him he said " i dont even like them i just said i'd watch them just so i can say i always saw pavement" (i am Jack's green eyed monster)
and would love to see them reform..
Old 03.22.2006, 09:22 AM   #7
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

shit sorry, i posted in thw wrong section, hard to get used to this new board, its good though, i like the new board.
Old 03.22.2006, 09:26 AM   #8
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
and i know what you mean about "Pig Lib" Inhuman but i love "Face the Truth"

Exactly, I found that Face The Truth was a lot closer to the work he did in Pavement. He successfully returned to his classical style, and that's what I love about it. It's such an upbeat album as well, you have to love those songs like "Mama".
Old 03.22.2006, 09:28 AM   #9
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
shit sorry, i posted in thw wrong section, hard to get used to this new board, its good though, i like the new board.
No worries, we're all getting used to it.
Old 03.22.2006, 09:35 AM   #10
fictionfriction
little trouble girl

fictionfriction kicks all y'all's assesfictionfriction kicks all y'all's assesfictionfriction kicks all y'all's assesfictionfriction kicks all y'all's assesfictionfriction kicks all y'all's assesfictionfriction kicks all y'all's assesfictionfriction kicks all y'all's assesfictionfriction kicks all y'all's assesfictionfriction kicks all y'all's assesfictionfriction kicks all y'all's assesfictionfriction kicks all y'all's asses
wowee zowee, the first pavement album i bought and still my favourite. it's just so varied, from laid back country-ish songs (father to a sister of thought) to demented krautrock style jams (half a canyon) to wonderfully catchy pop songs (at & t, grounded). i can't fault this album.

as for malkmus & the jicks / preston school of industry; it has to be malkmus without a doubt, he's just a much better songwriter. as for pavement reforming, i wouldn't have any complaints if they did but it's not something i've really thought about much either.
fictionfriction is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 10:16 AM   #11
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Tough call - it's a toss-up between S&E and Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain. I couldn't pick a favorite song.

And maybe I'm just bitter, but I'm not a fan of anything Malkmus did after Pavement, though I'm with Inhuman - I like him in the Silver Jews.

Of course I'd love Pavement to reform, but I doubt it's possible for them to recapture their original sound. Malkmus has changed his style too much post-Pavement to get that back.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 10:22 AM   #12
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
hhhmmmm well i agree with the silver jews thing. he was kicked out by dave berman i think. but as much as i like wowee zowee its not my favourite. it does have one of my favourite and most listened to pavement songs on it. it has to be crooked rain or slanted. maybe cr just edges it. but only because thats what i listened to last, pretty shallow huh?

favourite song is harder to do because they have so many that i like.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 10:52 AM   #13
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
hhhmmmm well i agree with the silver jews thing. he was kicked out by dave berman i think. but as much as i like wowee zowee its not my favourite. it does have one of my favourite and most listened to pavement songs on it. it has to be crooked rain or slanted. maybe cr just edges it. but only because thats what i listened to last, pretty shallow huh?

favourite song is harder to do because they have so many that i like.

Was he really? I didn't know. I realized that he's not on Tanglewood Numbers, and I didn't really know why. Possibly Berman didn't want him in for that album due to his depression in the past few years (Which explains the song names and lyrics of the album). He was doing ketamine and other heavier drugs, hence the song H-Hole.
Old 03.22.2006, 11:00 AM   #14
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
He was doing ketamine and other heavier drugs, hence the song H-Hole.

holy crap was Malky doing ketamine?
i always thought he was a clean cut young chappy?

does anyone know any of the reasons why Pavement split? i heard somewhere it was a pretty bad break up
Old 03.22.2006, 11:03 AM   #15
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
holy crap was Malky doing ketamine?
i always thought he was a clean cut young chappy?

does anyone know any of the reasons why Pavement split? i heard somewhere it was a pretty bad break up

nonono haha, David Berman was! So possibly that had to do with a bad breakup between the two. Berman isn't doing it anymore, luckily.
Old 03.22.2006, 11:10 AM   #16
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
I got Slanted and Enchanted a bit ago and I love it even though I cant understand a word thats being said! I wanna buy another one now. Take it Wowee zowee is the best one to get next?

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 11:13 AM   #17
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

i knew stevie wasnt on the K! why my only daughter (if i had one) could date that clean cut chappy, but i'm gonna look into that band Silver Jews, i've never heard them.

yeah H8kurdt you should check out Wowee Zowee, its a classic
Old 03.22.2006, 11:28 AM   #18
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
i knew stevie wasnt on the K! why my only daughter (if i had one) could date that clean cut chappy, but i'm gonna look into that band Silver Jews, i've never heard them.

yeah H8kurdt you should check out Wowee Zowee, its a classic

Awesome! That's great, you should check out the songs "Advice to the Graduate" and "New Orleans". They're similar to Pavement, but just add a folkish sound to it. Yeah, I can't even imagine Malkmus being on K, he's too good of a guy
Old 03.22.2006, 11:47 AM   #19
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
i'm torn between crooked rain, brighten the corners and terror twilight as my favourite...

i like malkmus better than spiral these days, especially the last album
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 11:49 AM   #20
perdrix
empty page

perdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's assesperdrix kicks all y'all's asses
I loved pavement, they were probably my favourite band when i was at school. having said that i was actually pretty glad when they split, they'd been getting steadily worse after wowie zowie. I didnt even bother to buy terror twilight after hearing my pals copy of it. the slow century dvd is good though and i really enjoyed the tribute albulm on homestead. Pavement were also responsible for turning me onto the fall. respect is due!
perdrix is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth