Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The John Cale thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.30.2009, 06:46 AM   #21
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Of all the Velvets, his solo records are possibly the ones I like the least. Most of them, I mean. Paris 1919 is excellent, and all the 60's table of elemts stuff. Most of the others I find unlistenable. His voice is not ragged-sounding enough for my liking either, and I don't like the way his music instruments are recorded. Too clean, too music hall. A great deal is made of him being the real creative force behind the Velvet Undergeound, but I don't think those records would have sounded the way they do if it wasn't also for the rock and roll element brough in by the others in the band, and his intensily close relationship (musical and intimate) with the cooler Lou Reed of the time. Strangely enough when Lou Reed started coming up with all this shit about ''The Great American Novel'', the theatrical blah balh blah, in short trying to be a bit more like John Cale solo, he went downhill forever.

He is great at song arrangements, as a producer, and at working with other people in general (let's forget about that record with Brian Eno, though). I was listening to ''Music For a New Society'' again the other day, and thinking that it's so strange that someone so brilliant at producing other people's records would let his own have the sort of sound that new age, cheap relaxation records have. Pity because a couple of the songs aren't bad per se.

His is undoubtedly an excellent musican, I just wish that he would have never tried to mix a classical approach to the rock approach in his solo work. Funnily enough, the classical music approach/rock thing is often mentioned about the Velvets too, yet you can barely hear any classical music in them, much more, instead, the drony tones of Theatre of Eternal Music.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2009, 08:02 AM   #22
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Oh don't get me wrong, his 80s stuff is pretty awful, but then again, that's true of a lot of people. What's your opinion on the Island period records?
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2009, 12:59 PM   #23
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know why but I can't really get into Paris 1919, while I love Fear and most of the (scarce) other stuff I've heard.
Old 01.22.2010, 10:34 PM   #24
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone going to see John Cale speak at Moma on Feb 15?

Tickets are only available at the door...Anyone getting one?

RN

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth