Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Southern Rock
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.14.2009, 01:42 PM   #1
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Can anyone suggest any good albums or multi-band compilations of this stuff? I'm thinking of the late 60s-70s Skynyrd/Allman Bros variety, although some contemporary stuff would be great too. I remember it getting some coverage in another thread recently but it never really went into individual albums, so any help would be much appreciated.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2009, 02:10 PM   #2
looking glass spectacle
100%

looking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asses
sorry, can't help you with the old school stuff, but these guys are cool:

The Quadrajets
Estrus Records

Auburn, Alabama's The Quadrajets roar out of the Deep South like a raucous, grime-encrusted rock and roll monster that's going to grab you by the throat and shake you out of your complacent musical daze. The band takes a classic two-guitar/bass/drums setup, and explodes into spastic full-throttle hyperdrive like a freight train out of control. Singer the Cheetah's preacher-on-purple-hearts vocals and bluesy harmonica make the band's Southern-fried punk rock that much more delightfully nasty.

The 'Jets -- currently comprised of the Cheetah, bassist Catfish Plate, drummer J.R.R. Tokken, and guitarists Roman Hardwick P.I. and Jerome J. Jerome -- have weathered the loss of almost as many drummers as Spinal Tap in making their Blue Cheer-influenced whiskey- and amphetamine-fueled mayhem over the last half-decade. They've put out four full-lengths during that time, including 2000's When the World's on Fire, featuring "All My Rowdy Friends Are Dead" and "Light Speed Kings."

looking glass spectacle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2009, 07:27 PM   #3
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
thanks, I've heard of the charlie Daniels band and Edgar Broughton but never actually heard them. I'll look into them.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2009, 09:09 PM   #4
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
warmer milks-soft walks

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2009, 08:57 PM   #5
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
The Broughtons were from England.

Look into Bloodrock....southern rock, sorta spacey and with a slight prog inflection. Each of the first three albums have some moments....

"D.O.A." is their best-known song. Proto-deathrock to the max! I'm really surprised that I've never heard a band cover it before. It actually dented the top 40 (barely).

"Children's Heritage" makes me laugh everytime during those group singalongs. Pretty rousing, actually!

"Melvin Laid an Egg" and "Fantastic Piece of Architecture" are the headiest moments.

A live double LP isn't totally terrible, but everything from the 4th studio album and onward is just total rubbish and should be avoided.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth