Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sex Pistols:one of the most stupid bands ever?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.22.2006, 11:47 AM   #41
soapbars
the destroyed room

soapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's asses
one real impact they had was that theyve fucked over punk rock bands and alternative bands for years

they were dickheads (part of their appeal) and after them i dont remember many majors taking chances with high risk bands for some time,

better bands should have been behaving badly instead of them, but what can you do,
soapbars is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 12:02 PM   #42
UVRAY
bad moon rising

UVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
I don't think it's very valid to compare Sex Pistols with SY.

Put simply, Sex Pistols were a pop band. And I don't intend that as a criticism. They didn't have a message, be it musical, political or any other.

Sex Pistols were a fashion, a fleeting moment in pop history. Their influence is undeniable, but so is Abba's (a much better comparison than SY).

And I am old enough to remember the excitement, the shock, the fear (as an 11 year old in 1977) and there is no comparison to the 25 year career of Sonic Youth, who never burst onto the scene but built up a following over a number of years, and as good as Bad Moon Rising was, my first exposure to them wasn't revolutionary in the way it was with Sex Pistols.

But Sonic Youth's music has passed the test of time and they continue to make great music.

Sex Pistols sound incredibly dated, and dare I say rather quaint these days.

I wasn't comparing the two bands. I was making the point that in the future when some young kids on the internet are denying the historical importance of SY it will not change the facts. They will be merely showing their ignorance.

I wasn't old enough to appreciate Elvis Presley or The Beatles. I wasn't there to experience the excitement. But to deny the importance of their contribution would be idiotic.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

UVRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 12:08 PM   #43
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
meh... who cares
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 01:08 PM   #44
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
They are boring musically, and i don't think they have influenced nor paved the way for any band i like in that mentionable extent some people are implying. And therefore I don't think I have to "honour" their achievements. But each to their own.
Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 01:20 PM   #45
UVRAY
bad moon rising

UVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulasch Noir
They are boring musically, and i don't think they have influenced nor paved the way for any band i like

One is entitled to dislike them, obviously. It is a matter of personal preference.

But one should be able to apply objectivity.

Bands that have stated The Sex Pistols as an influence include Nirvana,Madness, The Pogues, Guns 'n' Roses, The Smiths, REM, Metallica and The Jesus And Mary Chain.

They were short lived, yes. And there are other important bands. But to say that The Sex Pistols Never Mind The Bollocks lp was influential is an understatement.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

UVRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 01:23 PM   #46
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
they were put together the same way that lou pearlman put together the backstreet boys. sure, they were edgy and raw (because that's what happens when you spike your hair and wear leather), but they weren't really doing anything special or worth merit. except for when sid vicious died. that was great.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 01:24 PM   #47
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
that's true, they were influential.

by the same token, they were influential in that it inspired people (especially in punk) to do something oppositional to them; before, people didn't care about the fakeness of bands, after them, bands and artists had to prove themselves to be true, by adhering themselves to diy principals and such, rbeing prolific and experimental or by adopting straight edge, etc.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 01:30 PM   #48
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by UVRAY
I wasn't comparing the two bands. I was making the point that in the future when some young kids on the internet are denying the historical importance of SY it will not change the facts. They will be merely showing their ignorance.

I wasn't old enough to appreciate Elvis Presley or The Beatles. I wasn't there to experience the excitement. But to deny the importance of their contribution would be idiotic.

odds are, kids will deny the historical importance of sonic youth because they'll be too busy thinking that the pistols were "real punk rock" or maybe they just won't "get it" at such a young age because sonic youth is one of those bands that tends to command an active approach to listening and some kids tend not to listen to music in that manner.

and elvis sucked. he was a racist who stole songs from black artists and writers, then changed them around and made too much money from it. he's not important to me and didn't contribute anything to rock and roll music.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
Old 10.22.2006, 01:33 PM   #49
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
that's true, they were influential.

by the same token, they were influential in that it inspired people (especially in punk) to do something oppositional to them; before, people didn't care about the fakeness of bands, after them, bands and artists had to prove themselves to be true, by adhering themselves to diy principals and such, rbeing prolific and experimental or by adopting straight edge, etc.

that's a very good point!

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
Old 10.22.2006, 01:41 PM   #50
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
I don't think it's very valid to compare Sex Pistols with SY.

Put simply, Sex Pistols were a pop band. And I don't intend that as a criticism. They didn't have a message, be it musical, political or any other.

Sex Pistols were a fashion, a fleeting moment in pop history. Their influence is undeniable, but so is Abba's (a much better comparison than SY).

And I am old enough to remember the excitement, the shock, the fear (as an 11 year old in 1977) and there is no comparison to the 25 year career of Sonic Youth, who never burst onto the scene but built up a following over a number of years, and as good as Bad Moon Rising was, my first exposure to them wasn't revolutionary in the way it was with Sex Pistols.

But Sonic Youth's music has passed the test of time and they continue to make great music.

Sex Pistols sound incredibly dated, and dare I say rather quaint these days.

The Abba point is a particularly interesting one because at the time of punk there was also the emergence of disco,wich i've always found to express feelings of anger and disappointment in a more subtle and interesting way.Not to say that disco was also a much more embracing genre than punk ever was(and wich it always wanted to be desperately).You just have to be on a dancefloor to see all sort of humanity interacting with one another....and not just because of the dancing.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 03:37 PM   #51
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
cant believe you guys are still arguing about this

WHO THE FUCK CARES?!?!?!
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 04:17 PM   #52
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
what a boring topic.

were the sex pistols the first punk band? nope.

do i think they play/played an important role in the evolution of punk rock...without a doubt.

mabey not the american thing..which was a completely different concept. but crass (amongst many others) have noted the pistols as an inspiration to pick up guitars (and yes, im fully aware crass later bad-mouthed the pistols, MABEY rightfully so, however the pistols were not a political band, nor did they ever claim to be so).

no shit, sherlock. grass is green, too.
Old 10.22.2006, 04:18 PM   #53
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
now i demand that all of you SHUT THE FUCK UP.
Old 10.22.2006, 04:19 PM   #54
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue

WHO THE FUCK CARES?!?!?!

I thought this was a music-nerd board.
This is what we do.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 04:21 PM   #55
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

do you guys want to argue about whether my couch is pea green or chartreuse too?
Old 10.22.2006, 04:23 PM   #56
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
If your couch made an album in the late 70s, yes.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 04:23 PM   #57
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

oh you witty motherfucker you.
Old 10.22.2006, 05:33 PM   #58
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue

WHO THE FUCK CARES?!?!?!

Music board,you silly twat.Sorry not much interest is shown to your 'Please pay me some attention 'cause my parents wont let me go out tonight' threads.Now,fuck off.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 07:14 PM   #59
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Faux punks.
Old 10.22.2006, 07:15 PM   #60
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

there's no such thing as punk so it doesn't really matter, now does it?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth