Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Nihilist Spasm Band +more in UK, 19th April
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.04.2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Smokers Gifts
little trouble girl

Smokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's asses
TERMITE PRESENTS

CONCH!
THE 20TH ANNUAL TERMITE CLUB FESTIVAL
18TH,19TH AND 20TH APRIL 2008
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, HYDE PARK PICTURE HOUSE AND THE COMMON PLACE
CELEBRATING 25 YEARS OF MAVERICK MUSIC IN LEEDS
WITH
THE NIHILIST SPASM BAND (FIRST UK PERFORMANCE SINCE 1968!!)
CARLOS GIFFONI (US)
EDGAR (WILL GUTHRIE AND SEBASTIEN COSTE, AUSTRALIA AND FRANCE)
YXIMALLOO(JAPAN)
S&M COMBO(UK)
PAUL HESSION/ALAN WILKINSON DUO(UK)
FAMILY BATTLE SNAKE(GREECE)
THE TELESCOPES(UK)
BROKEN SLEEP (CANADA)
GHOST OF AN OCTOPUS(JOINCEY AND SMEAR CAMPAIGN)
+MORE ACTS TBC!
PLUS EXCLUSIVE FILM SCREENINGS AT HYDE PARK PICTURE HOUSE
WHAT ABOUT ME- THE RISE OF THE NIHILIST SPASM BAND (2003)
JEFF KEEN FILMS WITH SOUNDTRACK FROM dk720
FILMS BY THE BONGERLEEROS

£15 DAY TICKET, £30 WEEKEND TICKET
BUY ONLINE HERE NOW!! WWW.TERMITE.ORG.UK

"Confronted with the spectacle of academy and commerce in such deadly embrace - the sound of heard-before paraded as the peak of excellence, a whole generation being taught music as a department of accountancy - the Termite Club appears in contrast a seething font of fresh ideas, innovative techniques and musical focus. Long may it thrive!"Ben Watson

Nihilist Spasm Band

This will be the first UK performance since 1968 of the band often cited as germinating noise music in its contemporary form. Without the Nihilist Spasm Band, there would possibly not have been a Hijokaiden, an Incapactants, a Nurse With Wound or the Pruirients of this world, or if there were they would not be the same without NSB "In 1965, Greg Curnoe, an artist and experimental filmmaker living in London, Ontario, needed a musical score for his latest project, a film entitled No Movie. Curnoe gathered together a group of like-minded artists and close friends, and formed an ensemble called the Nihlist Spasm Band to perform the film's soundtrack; none of the members were proficient on a musical instrument, and several had constructed their own noise-making apparatus rather than use conventional instruments. While the few that witnessed the group's willfully dissonant initial performance condemned them as talentless noisemakers, the group stuck to their guns, performing once a week at the same Ontario art gallery, where late bassist Hugh McIntyre described their philosophy by asking, "When you eliminate the scale, the key, the repertoire, the category, the traditional rules, and even breaking the rules, what is left?" After years of laboring in obscurity, The Nihlist Spasm Band began to develop a modest cult following in the 1980s; in 2000 they had a loyal fan base in Japan and continued to perform regularly in their native London between periodic international tours, and have won the admiration of such pillars of the noise rock avant-garde musical community as Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth and Jojo Hiroshige of Hijokaidan."Mark Deming, New York Times

Carlos Giffoni
One of the linchpins of the US noise music scene, Giffoni organises the already legendary No Fun noise festival in New York and and plays in Noise rock group Montract. Carlos has been applying various types of synthesis, extreme modular manipulation, rewired instruments, and live re-sampling to the composition of electronic music pieces, as well as improvising live with local and international experimental musicians;orgnially from Venezuala he now lives in New York. This is his first solo UK tour.

Alan Wilkinson/ Paul Hession Duo
2 of the founders of the Termite Club and two of the most incendary of UK improv performers. Their trio with bassist Simon Fell has been described as 'take no prisoners' and we can hope for more of this high energy power attitude in the duo.
Paul Hession
"His torrential polyrhythmic style and his ability to raise the stakes in formidable company establish him as a prime mover in the attempt to inject excitement and power back into total improvisation" - The Guinness Enc. of Popular Music.

Yxiamlloo
Yximalloo is Naofumi Ishimaru alone, but he drafts a loose ensemble of players, including the core of Shigeo Ootake and Takashi Korgo , as collaborator-executors. Ishimaru works like a Japanese Jandek without the angst, like the Boredoms minus the bombast. Spiritual kin to early artpunk and especially the LAFMS, he revels in mock-ethnic music and nonsense. Lo-fi, sweet and primitive, he uses ancient drum machines, hand percussion, and electronic droplet noises, sometimes set to melodies gathered from some imaginary South Sea island where the traditional instrument is seemingly an old '80s synth. Yximalloo has also been painted as a Japanese Half Japanese -- Jad Fair himself has collaborated with Ishimaru and draws the covers for some Yximalloo releases, all of which are released and self distributed by his label.

EDGAR
Sébastien Coste : soprano saxophone, balloons / Will Guthrie : drums, percussion
Interactive / hyperactive duo between an Australian and a French musician, EDGAR started in Nantes (west France) in 2006. Brutal punk rock free jazz, abstract improv, thematic long tones, humour, difficult to describe (as usual), anyway, it is not your average free-jazz blow-out, nor is it pretencious wimpy improv, nor is it balkan gypsie music !

The Telescopes
"The Telescopes have been mining a unique anti-myopian seam of drone/dream psych for 20 years. Expertly bolting gritty blocks of noise, rich with fossil and sediment, onto minimal songs and melodies which are miles apart and miles beyond the reams of drone/ambience out there." Trensmat
After going through many regenerations, in 2006 The Telescopes became a collaboration between Bridget Hayden (formerly of Vibracathedral Orchestra) and founder member Stephen Lawrie.

Ghost of an Octopus
GO is a new collaboration between the outsider genius that is Joincey (of Inca Eyeball, Stuckometer, Target Shoppers and most recently Puff) and Stewart Smear Campaign. This promises to be at times glancingly harsh sonabulistic collages whose underlying structure is opaquely mysterious.

S&M Combo
S&M Combo (erstwhile S&M) started in 2004 as a development from a previous collaboration as interestfreetelevision. Discarding the use of samplers, loops, processing and computing, S&M Combo focused on their core instruments: oscillators and cello. The duo combines many extraordinarily unlikely sounds that lie poised over the visceral Interface of harsh mechanical noise coupling with serene minimalist beauty. The initial simplicity and immediacy of their free improvisation gives rise to ever more complex and exotic, aleatory forms. By exploring both the delicacy and raw power of such simple systems they are musically part Jonathan Harvey and part Whitehouse, or like a

physics lecture gone astray.
Smokers Gifts is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.04.2008, 09:46 PM   #2
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
wow, that is fucking awesome.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2008, 01:30 AM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Agreed.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2008, 05:55 AM   #5
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
argh! merzbow is playing the same night
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2008, 06:05 AM   #6
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i didn't know you had thoughts
Old 03.05.2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
18th I'm seeing Merz, which may mean I can make it for Saturday and Sunday. Hmms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2008, 02:15 PM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Why not move here? We'll have great kids, teach them a million languages, buy them smokes and booze. They'll love it. Go on, you know you want some nauseatingly intelligent children.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 03.05.2008, 02:28 PM   #9
Confucious is sex
bad moon rising

Confucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's asses
You're not going to believe this, but I am a nauseatingly intelligent child. Be my parents?
Old 03.05.2008, 02:39 PM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confucious is sex
You're not going to believe this, but I am a nauseatingly intelligent child. Be my parents?

You're not going to believe this, but I have nearly no morals...

Quote:
Old 03.05.2008, 03:23 PM   #11
Glice
invito al cielo

Better to wash ties by hand, but a short spin on low heat shouldn't wreck it.

Quote:
Old 03.05.2008, 03:38 PM   #12
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Canadian pensioner noise AND the Telescopes?
Well, well.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2008, 03:38 PM   #13
Confucious is sex
bad moon rising

Confucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
You're not going to believe this, but I have nearly no morals...

You're not going to believe this, but I have a very Hellenistic approach to paedophilia and incest...
Old 03.05.2008, 03:50 PM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I'm sitting here typing and I just heard someone on the television my mom is watching say, "So, what's goin through your mind when you're sittin there, puttin that pipe in? Smokin that crack? YOU DON'T CARE! YOU DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!!"

Oh, it's Steve Wilkos. Baldheaded motherfucker... hmph.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2008, 03:50 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
You're not going to believe this, but I have a very Hellenistic approach to paedophilia and incest...

Just call me Hippolytus.

Quote:
Old 03.05.2008, 03:52 PM   #16
Confucious is sex
bad moon rising

And me, ignoring the obvious gender bending, Ganymede
Old 03.05.2008, 04:11 PM   #17
Confucious is sex
bad moon rising

Gorgon :P

Forgive my being a retard - that was, in fact, Medusa; I get visual dyslexia when I'm tired. It's a real condition, don't mock me. Okay, fine, it's not. I am an idiot. I am now hanging my head in shame and compounding my idiocy by burning my sternum with my fag end as I do so.
Old 03.07.2008, 09:09 AM   #18
Smokers Gifts
little trouble girl

Smokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's asses
Cmon, Merzbow's boring now he just uses laptop(can see why he does though, all those pedals must be backbreaking).
Geriatric Canadians playing modified noise kazoos is where it's at!
Smokers Gifts is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2008, 11:50 AM   #19
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Gorgon :P

Forgive my being a retard - that was, in fact, Medusa; I get visual dyslexia when I'm tired. It's a real condition, don't mock me. Okay, fine, it's not. I am an idiot. I am now hanging my head in shame and compounding my idiocy by burning my sternum with my fag end as I do so.

What a bathetic monologue. Kudos.

Quote:
Old 03.07.2008, 12:24 PM   #20
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokers Gifts
Cmon, Merzbow's boring now he just uses laptop(can see why he does though, all those pedals must be backbreaking).
Geriatric Canadians playing modified noise kazoos is where it's at!

i think merzbow is using analogue stuff again.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth