Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page LOW - "Double Negative"
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.08.2018, 01:57 PM   #21
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
First Listen: Low, 'Double Negative'

it's left me completely speechless so far. On the one hand it's awful with the distortion, especially on the vocals. To me it's a sacrilege to mess with Mimi's vocals. And I hate the R&B triphop Aphex Twin whatever fake drums.
But goddamn it's so good!

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2018, 11:15 PM   #22
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
My First Concert: Alan Sparhawk of Low
"The opening band was so disturbing that no one wanted to stand close to them."

Quote:
Musical awakenings come in all forms. For an adolescent Alan Sparhawk in Bemidji, Minnesota, he has Minnesota punk legends The Suburbs to thank for opening his eyes (and ears).

Sparhawk has undoubtedly served as the same sort of musical inspiration for so many as the guitarist/vocalist for Low. The band's genre-bending explorations on
Double Negative (their new album on Sub Pop) show that Sparhawk and company aren't slowing anytime soon, even after a quarter century of making music.

In this special Under the Radar series, we asked Sparhawk to tell us about the first concert experience he could recall.

I remember being out with my parents on a field on a hillside. It was likely some outdoor concert with a stage down this hill. I remember as a teenager asking my parents if they ever took me to Woodstock but were just too embarrassed to tell me, because it would have been right around that time.

I'm at that stage where I don't like talking about my age, but I would have been one or two. I just remember being distinctly aware of the ground and the air and that there was music in it. I remember knowing that there was earth and there was the sky and music was flowing through it. I don't know. It's a weird impression that I remember.

After that, the first punk band I saw was The Suburbs when I was like 14 or something. That blew my mind completely and it set my imagination on fire. When there's only one or two shows every once in a while that comes through at the college an hour away...

I think an older friend took me and said, 'Hey, do you want to go see the show? It's kind of a punk band.' I was like, 'Oh, really? I've heard of that. I'm in.' Then it just blew my mind and expectations to the ceiling. I thought, 'This is it! This is my place!' I was focused.

That show was everything. The opening band was so disturbing that no one wanted to stand close to them. Halfway through the set, the drummer just stopped and just about jumped off stage trying to attack some guy who was starting a fight in the audience. I thought, 'Holy crap! This is amazing. These people are so alive.'

When you live out in the sticks on the edge of civilization, that stuff is like a message from God.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2018, 09:24 AM   #23
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
First Listen: Low, 'Double Negative'

it's left me completely speechless so far. On the one hand it's awful with the distortion, especially on the vocals. To me it's a sacrilege to mess with Mimi's vocals. And I hate the R&B triphop Aphex Twin whatever fake drums.
But goddamn it's so good!

Hey now, they’re trying something different. More adventurous than what a lot of their peers are doing... if they’re doing anything anymore.

It’s going to take a while to unpack this one, but yeah, it’s amazing for sure. I was not expecting to be surprised by a band I’ve been listening to for so long. There’s something to be said for a willingness to do something drastically different, and that’s what this is.

I don’t listen to any artist to hear them make the same sounds every few years. If they do, I usually stop paying close attention. For me, this is super welcome.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2018, 12:30 AM   #24
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Alan Sparhawk collaborates with vocals on a song from Timbre Ghost's new album, "Life, Death, & Disintegration":
https://timbreghost.bandcamp.com/alb...disintegration
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2018, 09:25 AM   #25
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
New video for "Poor Sucker":
https://youtu.be/ob0CILJ93bA

...And, Alan loves American Football:
http://thequietus.com/articles/25403...rican-football
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2018, 10:42 AM   #26
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
The Tour starts TONIGHT in St. Paul

You can Stream tonight’s performance LIVE.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2018, 02:01 PM   #27
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
The Tour starts TONIGHT in St. Paul

You can Stream tonight’s performance LIVE.

FYI: there's now an upgraded version shared on Dime without the missing audio and sync issues. Probably should be on YT too

Ask a Grown Woman: Mimi Parker

Old 11.11.2018, 06:21 PM   #28
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Beautiful, thanks for the link.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 11.11.2018, 09:36 PM   #29
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

From Under The Radar:

Quote:

Low on Double Negative
Pushing the Boundaries

If you're looking for someone to congratulate (or blame), Alan Sparhawk points to Dave Fridmann. It was over a decade ago when Sparhawk and his wife Mimi Parker, the core members of Low, joined forces with Fridmann, the famed producer for The Flaming Lips, Sparklehorse, and Sleater-Kinney among others, for the first of two consecutive albums, 2005's The Great Destroyer and 2007's Drums and Guns.

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/inte...uble_negative/

Old 12.06.2018, 06:29 PM   #30
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

So far, Double Negative has been chosen album of the year by Uncut, musicOMH, Resident and Truck Music Store. It's also made #10 on The Wire, #18 on BBC Radio 6's, #9 on Deluxe/The Drift Record Shop, #10 on Exclaim!, #3 on Fopp, #8 on Gaffa (Denmark), #2 on Gaffa (Sweden), #2 on OOR, #9 on Paste, #8 on The Quietus, #8 on Stereogum, and #2 on Vulture.

https://www.metacritic.com/feature/c...albums-of-2018

Now, since Anna Calvi's Hunter only features on a grand total of ONE of the lists listed (heh) above, none of this means jack.

Old 12.14.2018, 11:11 AM   #31
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses

Slowcore pioneers Low first introduced electronics to their moody, minimal instrumental palette cautiously, on 2015’s Ones and Sixes; the change, partially brought about by working with producer BJ Burton, helped revitalize both their sound and creativity. On Double Negative (also recorded with Burton), those electronics become a key component, truly directing the album—warping vocals (opener “Quorum” feels like a constantly-interrupted transmission), incorporating rhythmic noise (“Dancing and Blood”), adding a glacial effect to guitars (“Poor Sucker”). It took the group nearly two years of trial and error to craft. This is all true, but it doesn’t capture what a terrifying, majestic, heavy gut-punch of an album Double Negative is, how emotionally affecting it is, how it feels like an ice cave one crawls into to find solace from worse weather and to escape potential predators. A stunning album, one that reveals new depths with every play.

-Jes Skolnik
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2018, 09:52 PM   #32
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
One of the best albums of the year.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2018, 01:20 PM   #33
_tunic_
invito al cielo

there's this old concert recording on YT, audio only. It's from 1998 in Belgium, don't think it's on Archive.org, and probably never will. So here it is:

Low (US) Maybe they are not liking the humans. Live cd-r. 17th May 1998 (Remastered)

Old 12.19.2018, 02:01 PM   #34
_tunic_
invito al cielo

in case there's anyone wanting to hear more of Low and don't know where to start? This might be of help:
Celebrate the Catalog: The complete Low discography

they rate every full-length Low album, the scores are all super high though.

Not included HOW COULD THEY the best album for these time of year:

the Christmas EP!

Old 12.19.2018, 06:25 PM   #35
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
It's from 1998 [...]

Speaking of (and please forgive my ignorance), which '98 concert is the one where members of GY!BE joined Low to perform "Do You Know How To Waltz?"? I gotta have it. NOW.

Old 12.20.2018, 04:14 AM   #36
_tunic_
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Speaking of (and please forgive my ignorance), which '98 concert is the one where members of GY!BE joined Low to perform "Do You Know How To Waltz?"? I gotta have it. NOW.

until now a lossless version of that song has never been shared, let alone the full set of Low. The GYBE set has been shared however: https://archive.org/details/gybe1998-10-10

the only recording that does exist is the one that has ben floating around the interwebs for years in awful lossy quality, such as on youtube:
Godspeed You Black Emperor with LOW - Do You Know How to Waltz ?! LIVE [HD]

Old 12.20.2018, 04:30 AM   #37
_tunic_
invito al cielo

Here's Low's touring schedule for the first 6 months of the next year, copied from their site. They'll be playing the beautiful open air theatre Rivierenhof on 4th of July, which is where I saw them for the very first time when they played the Things We Lost In The Fire album in full, in July 2006

05 Feb
E-Werk
Erlangen, Germany

06 Feb
Kulturkirche Köln
Cologne, Germany

07 Feb
Sankt Peter
Frankfurt, Germany

08 Feb
Uebel & Gefährlich
Hamburg, Germany

09 Feb
VoxHall
Aarhus, Denmark

11 Feb
Koncerthuset
København, Denmark

12 Feb
Pustrvik
Gothenburg, Sweden

13 Feb
Parkteatret Scene
Oslo, Norway

14 Feb
Kagelbanan
Stockholm, Sweden

15 Feb
Antigel Festival
Geneva, Switzerland

08 Mar
Globe Hall
Denver, CO

09 Mar
Meow Wolf
Santa Fe, NM

11 Mar
Valley Bar
Phoenix, AZ

12 Mar
Marty's On Newport
Tustin, CA

13 Mar
Moustache Bar
Tijuana, Mexico

14 Mar
Lodge Room
Los Angeles, CA

15 Mar
Lodge Room
Los Angeles, CA

16 Mar
Great American Music Hall
San Francisco, CA

18 Mar
Star Theater Portland
Portland, OR

19 Mar
Imperial Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada

20 Mar
Neumos
Seattle, WA

22 Mar
Treefort Music Fest
Boise, ID

23 Mar
Velour Live Music Gallery Llc
Provo, UT

30 Mar
Rewire Festival
The Hague, Netherlands

01 Apr
Le 106 Club
Rouen, France

02 Apr
STEREOLUX
Nantes, France

03 Apr
L'Epicerie Moderne
Lyon, France

05 Apr
Hall
Padova, Italy

06 Apr
Teatro Antoniano
Bologna, Italy

08 Apr
Auditorium Parco della Musica - Sala Sinopoli
Rome, Italy

31 May
PRIMAVERA SOUND
Barcelona, Spain

04 Jul
Openluchttheater Rivierenhof
Deurne, Belgium

05 Jul
Down The Rabbit Hole
Ewijk, Netherlands

Old 12.20.2018, 05:17 PM   #38
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
until now a lossless version of that song has never been shared, let alone the full set of Low. The GYBE set has been shared however: https://archive.org/details/gybe1998-10-10

the only recording that does exist is the one that has ben floating around the interwebs for years in awful lossy quality, such as on youtube:
Godspeed You Black Emperor with LOW - Do You Know How to Waltz ?! LIVE [HD]

Awful lossy quality it is, then. Thanks for the links, _tunic_.

Old 12.22.2018, 03:48 AM   #39
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
FUCK!!!

I've spent the last 3 hours with this. It's epic and sparse at the same time. It's a thing of beauty.

For years I've observed Low threads here, and how they grow and grow, while I thought "meh...whatever". But now I see the light. (Or is it the dark?)

Bitches, review this album! (I will try to do the same when my thoughts are more coherent.)

This video is fucking great, and the first 3 tracks work wonderfully together: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jvEozu4Obfs#

PS: Fuck Trump.
Old 12.22.2018, 10:13 AM   #40
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Review: Sounds like Massive Attack with the volume turned up too loud.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth