Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Pico Dorado
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.20.2011, 12:45 AM   #1
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Hey everybody. I haven't been a frequent poster in a while, felt like sharing some cool stuff I thought some of you would appreciate.
So, essentially Pico Dorado is a collective group of musicians who all participate in a game that's played by improvising with instruments, while your improvisations are roughly notated by color coated animations. There are 6 colors, each representing a different player. You play when you see your color.. For example..

This would mean 3 people are currently playing, Blue playing the loudest, green being next to loudest, and orange being the quietest.
Anywho, it's a really really cool project. and it's really fun to play! My good friend Scott came up with and animated all this. He's been putting some videos up too (some of which I play in). Here's some I think turned out really well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgEhojRIshU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdTsq...el_video_title
I'm in the process of uploading a really good Pico session I took on video. and here's Scott's youtube account with Pico videos and much more. http://www.youtube.com/user/scottbaz.../1/RdTsq37iLmA
check it out! you shouldn't be disapointed
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2011, 04:12 AM   #2
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I think I'd rather play Twister.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
It's a great idea. Though I'm a bit dubious of the directly representative visual/ music relationship.

Are you familiar with this? I think there's a lot of scope for composers using that sort of software to break away from the page as such (and a few have already) - did your mate design this software? Is it possible to get a close-up of the screen 'in-screen' with the playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2011, 11:34 AM   #4
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
No, I've never seen that before. My friend was telling me he got the idea from John Cage scibbling on paper and having musicians interpret it.. He also took influence from John Zorn's Game Pieces.
Yes, he designed the software. (which is really just a shitload of animations he chooses from with a video sampler. There's a video I'm uploading now that has a lot of in screen footage. I'll post it as soon as it's up. (you can see bits of screen in those other videos too
Old 06.20.2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
There's absolutely masses of graphic scores out there - the two notations books are just the tip of the iceberg. PM me if you want more info on this, I've been working with graphic scores for a fair few years now. Or just carry on with what you're doing, as it seems to be working well for you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2011, 02:04 PM   #6
finding nobody
invito al cielo

I wasn't aware of all the stuff with graphic scores. I can see how we could benefit from knowing some of this, but at the same I'm not sure how relevant it is to Pico, because it's all done using animations. or is it more similar than that?
http://www.badongo.com/vid/1891331
here's the video I spoke of

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth