Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Jello Biafra to play Isreal. Waddya think or do you not give a flying fuck?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.13.2011, 02:06 PM   #2
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Isreal? Is that a video game or something?
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2011, 02:08 PM   #3
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Or did you actually mean to type "Jello Biafra to play is real"? As opposed to "Jello Biafra to play is imaginary"?
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I´m not going to burn my Dead Kennedys-records altough he will play there.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2011, 10:28 AM   #5
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
DK's have always been pretty uninteresting to me so I don't give a cats whiskers what he does......
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2011, 11:40 AM   #6
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I don't give a fuck. Who the fuck is jello?
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2011, 11:44 AM   #7
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I don't give a fuck. Who the fuck is jello?

pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2011, 10:45 AM   #8
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnikpasswordforgetter
i'm sure the relatives of those dead iraqis our governments and armies murdered would probably think our 'debate' over the ethical correctness of some staid punk idiot performing in israel or not is just the kind of insulting decadence that perfectly justifies decapitating us in the name of allah. jello would appreciate this happening to him on stage, he has a good sense of humour. 'holidays in cambodia' lol.

and you can't really blame them because that would be so much more entertaining to watch than this guy and his 'punk libertarian revolution' schtick or his fucking music.

also the implicit assumption that it matters one fifth of a fuck what he does and where he choses to perform his 'important' message is even more stupid.

i doubt the suffering palestinians are going to give much of a shit. since they have about as much chance of being saved by the punks than they do by being saved by the tread of an israeli tank.

or maybe jello will 'raise enough awareness' with his 'art' and hamas will smite their zionist oppressors with the sheer power of rational arguments and feel good liberalism. it will be like the 'i learned something today' ending of a south park episode. maybe beyonce's inspiring dance routines will convince an army of black american models to lead the georgians to revolutionary victory against russia.

this is what happened in my country. all the punks sang songs like 'fuck the cops' and 'fuck the brits'. and dave mustaine dedicated a megadeth song to 'the cause'.*

this directly led to an IRA victory of the british army and the explusion of us protestant invaders from the entire isle. we just put down our guns and left.

it's true, it's why i live in england now.

those catholics were so inspired by the art of sympathetic punks that were heartbroken over their plight that their spirits were raised and the spirit of finnegan and michael collins melted the cool hearts of the evil british.

*thereby causing a riot and the total lack of any rock gigs ever occuring in the town of antrim since that very day.

Are you on something?
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2011, 07:15 PM   #9
Lamont Cranston
100%

Lamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's asses
Businesses operating in the Occupied Territories or otherwise benefiting from the occupation, products made in the Settlements, and businesses working with the IDF should be boycotted. But a blanket boycot of Israel itself just doesn't make sense and is tactically stupid.
Lets hear you lot doing something about Caterpillar the supplier of the armored bulldozers used to demolish Palestinian homes and farms and villages to make way for Settlements.
Old 06.18.2011, 04:39 AM   #10
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont Cranston
Lets hear you lot doing something about Caterpillar the supplier of the armored bulldozers used to demolish Palestinian homes and farms and villages to make way for Settlements.
Jewish Voice for Peace had a go.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2011, 04:42 AM   #11
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont Cranston
Businesses operating in the Occupied Territories or otherwise benefiting from the occupation, products made in the Settlements, and businesses working with the IDF should be boycotted. But a blanket boycot of Israel itself just doesn't make sense and is tactically stupid.
If you don't understand the issue, this explains it better than I could.
Old 06.20.2011, 09:23 AM   #12
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
The important thing about BDS, for me, is to support a non-violent palestinian struggle against the occupation.
even if i do not agree with all of the targets (i agree that jello shouldn't play) i would rather this and the struggle against the wall be the dominant struggles rather than a struggle headed by political and terrorist groups.

the thing with jello, as the site states, is that he needs more info before he can comment on it. but the act itself of playing in israel is commenting on it. so i feel that if he feels that the doesn't know enough, he is welcome to the greater israel-palestine region to find out, and if he agrees with the policies, then he should agree to play.

Lamont, as Pookie wrote, there is a boycott on catepillar, as there is one on Motorola for providing the biometric technology that is used in checkpoints.
i dont think that they will all work, most of the companies will not stop what they do in israel, but some are divesting from business endeavors her and that counts for a lot, especially when musicians cancel gigs here. it has become so prevalent that there is a new law in the works to ban people from calling for a boycott. that shows how nervous these civil actions make the government here, and how important it is to keep them up.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2011, 04:51 AM   #13
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
http://newjewishresistance.org/blog/...jello-mckinney

Old 06.22.2011, 05:09 AM   #14
Pookie
invito al cielo

Thanks for the link. Interesting and I love their description of JB as "lapsed punk pioneer". It's difficult to know what his motivation is from his "open letter" - my opinion is that he's lost it a bit. Or maybe he never had it in the first place. He was a bit of a hero of mine as a teenager but in hindsight his political views were never very sophisticated.
Old 06.29.2011, 11:58 AM   #15
Pookie
invito al cielo

Jello cancels Tel Aviv gig - FYI.
Old 06.29.2011, 12:34 PM   #16
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I think that this is the most fantastic business decision Jello had made in years.

so much so that I am announcing here first my intention to play (and subsequently cancel) a Tel Aviv gig.

soon people will have a reason to talk about me as well.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2011, 05:35 PM   #17
fugazifan
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Jello cancels Tel Aviv gig - FYI.
he came out as such a racist/orientalist in his explanation letter...

...oh i see that the article that you posted has his quote, but i will repost it anyways

Quote:
We tried again and came close to landing a Ramallah show, but again, we needed to be better prepared. How fair is it to the organizers to demand a full-on rock show on a few days' notice with a type of music they may not be familiar with? More importantly, how much are we really doing for Palestinian rights if people there don't seem interested in our kind of music at all?

i really expected a slightly more advanced outlook of palestinians from him, but i guessed i expected too much.
i think i will rock out to some dead kennedys tomorrow.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth