Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The tread about how awesome Chrome's "Half Machine Lip Moves" is
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.03.2009, 05:37 PM   #1
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Did a search and couldn't find a thread for this album, so here it is.

YES!!!

I've been kind of obsessed with this since someone mentioned it in the trip albums thread and I decided to dig it out for the first time in a while. So unbelievably fantastic! I've tried a few times now to articulate in this post exactly why this is amazing, but mostly I've just ended up making retarded screeching slow motion guitar solos with my mouth. The best I could come up with is this:

"Julian Cope once described Comets on Fire's "Field Recordings from the Sun", with his usual hyperbole, as being like "like the Stooges gotta deal with the U.S.S.A.F". Well if that's the case, then Half Machine Lip Moves is like the Stooges were forced to conduct a guerrilla war on the States by sending out negative propaganda attacks without warning through it's radio stations..."

But to be honest that is a pretty poor description of the album, and reeks of bad pretentious rock journalism to boot, but I can't be bothered to try and think of something better right now. Suffice to say that this album completely rocks, it's unlike anything else I've heard, it's totally fucked up, massively riffing, every Sonic Youth fan simply has to hear it, and the fact that it was recorded in 1979 completely confounds me every time I remember it.

If someone thinks they can add something better then, please, BRING THE LOVE!
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Chrome really did make some amazing LPs.
Their blend of punk, new wave, psychedelia and a DIY ethic are pretty astounding when you think about the time they started and the relative isolation they worked in to begin with.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 07:49 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
One of the best ever. Blew my mind, someone played this for me when I was 14, haven't been the same since.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 08:03 PM   #4
simulated stereo
little trouble girl

simulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's assessimulated stereo kicks all y'all's asses
Nothing to add except that I agree with everything said in this thread so far.

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
simulated stereo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2009, 08:25 PM   #5
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
I needta hear this.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2009, 01:53 AM   #6
kierkegaarden
children of satan

kierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asses
Helios Creed is going to beat your ass for posting that picture.
kierkegaarden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2009, 05:31 AM   #7
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
I needta hear this.

You really, really do.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
Old 10.04.2009, 11:51 AM   #8
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Heard Chrome mentioned before, will urgently need to check this shit out now though, thanx for posting
Old 10.04.2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Honestly, I recommend virtually anything from the Creed/Edge era, but especially:
Half Machine Lip Moves
The Visitation
3rd From The Sun
Alien Soundtracks
Old 10.04.2009, 03:35 PM   #10
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
I checked out the band's MySpace page. What I heard didn't appeal to me. In 1979 Gary Numan released "Replicas"(with Tubeway Army) and "The Pleasure Principle". You could arguably lump Chrome and Gary Numan together as they both mixed synths and guitars into their sounds. Plus they both had a fascination with science fiction.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2009, 03:37 PM   #11
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Chrome, to me, are decidedly more psychedelic in their approach, and certainly more raw. They also started in the mid-1970s, working in a near-vacuum. I don't see them as a "new wave" band, really.
(I do love Tubeway Army, though)
Old 10.04.2009, 03:44 PM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Chrome rule. There's very few bands that did what they did.. only ones coming close were six Finger Satellite and (((Microwaves)))...

Old 10.04.2009, 03:55 PM   #13
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
No matter how hard I try, I don't see much in common between Chrome and Gary Numan, apart from the use of electronic instruments. For a start, gary numan's approach to synths is much mork stark and precise than Chrome's, which makes his records more conventional-sounding, and less loose in sound. Perhaps another way to put it is that Chrome sound ''spaced-out", whereas at best Numan sounds merely ''spacey''.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2009, 03:57 PM   #14
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
six finger satellite were a mediocre band, let alone heirs to chrome's throne.
Old 10.04.2009, 04:01 PM   #15
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
No matter how hard I try, I don't see much in common between Chrome and Gary Numan, apart from the use of electronic instruments. For a start, gary numan's approach to synths is much mork stark and precise than Chrome's, which makes his records more conventional-sounding, and less loose in sound. Perhaps another way to put it is that Chrome sound ''spaced-out", whereas at best Numan sounds merely ''spacey''.

It was a poor comparison on my part as it's the first time I've heard Chrome.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2009, 04:05 PM   #16
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

no problem at all. Glad you're enjoying them, they're one of the best.
Old 10.04.2009, 05:28 PM   #17
kierkegaarden
children of satan

kierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asseskierkegaarden kicks all y'all's asses
Gary Numan? I thought of Corey Feldmen the first time I heard Chrome.
kierkegaarden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2009, 05:56 PM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
six finger satellite were a mediocre band, let alone heirs to chrome's throne.

What have you heard?!

"DO THE SUICIDE" is amazing.

Old 10.04.2009, 06:01 PM   #19
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
I checked out the band's MySpace page. What I heard didn't appeal to me. In 1979 Gary Numan released "Replicas"(with Tubeway Army) and "The Pleasure Principle". You could arguably lump Chrome and Gary Numan together as they both mixed synths and guitars into their sounds. Plus they both had a fascination with science fiction.

It should be noted that Chrome's post Helios Creed material is pretty sucky new-wavey stuff, and I don't know there new stuff at all, so I'd be careful when judging them by their myspace tracks (don't actually know what they have on there). The Chrome everyone's geeking out over here is the Chrome who recorded this, and this. With that in mind, comparing them to Gary Numan is... well just don't OK?
Old 10.04.2009, 06:16 PM   #20
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
What have you heard?!

"DO THE SUICIDE" is amazing.
At various point i owned/sold the split they did with green magnet school, the human operator single, machine cuisine, severe exposure, and law of ruins, none of which i enjoyed much. Same with brainiac, a band i often read where kind of similar to them, but left me cold.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth