Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page First 5 albums you owned/listened to and how old you were at the time
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.03.2008, 08:12 PM   #101
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Same here......am I the only one who started off with 8 track tapes? Forgot all about the 'Metal Health' album. I had my turntable by then because I picked it up on vinyl. I also remember riding (on my bike) to the mall and picking up Motley's, 'Too Fast For Love' on cassette. I had seen a picture of them standing in front of a pentagram in Hit Parade magazine. On that trip the mall, I also picked up Venom's, 'Die Hard' EP. 'Black Metal' soon followed.

there are not too many of us here that were buying music pre-cd, i don't remember 8track tapes, but when i started buying music only had the choice between vinyl and cassette. and the home computer wasn't around either...
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 08:41 PM   #102
Kina
children of satan

Kina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's asses
I was using tapes for ages, all those 5 albums I put down in my first post were tapes and I used tapes for years after that even when things were coming out on cd just cause I couldn't afford to buy originals but copied tapes from my friends onto my own blank tapes. I remember not knowing parts of songs for ages cause songs were cut off at the start or end of a tape.
Kina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 09:54 PM   #103
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
mine are shocking...

Blink 182 - enima of the state (i was really into the vandals, suicidal tendencies and that kind of stuff for a while but didnt buy anymore albums til this shit)
Marilyn Manson - Holywood
Korn - Life is Peachy
Limp Bizkit - chocolate starfish
Papa Roach - Infest

It's kind of weird how far I've come and yet people my age still think its cool... I'm embarrassed by this stuff - but at least i was about 13 at the time.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 09:56 PM   #104
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
I will say that I got a healthy dose of the beatles and annie lennox when i was younger though. I find it a bit odd how some of you have fairly reputable lists for the first albums you purchased.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2008, 11:42 PM   #105
contrelefuckingsexisme
stalker

contrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's asses
the spice girls - spice - i was 7/8
the spice girls - spice world - i was 9/10
madonna - ray of light - i was 11
the smashing pumpkins - adore - i was 12
red hot chili peppers - californication - i was 12
Old 01.04.2008, 12:11 AM   #106
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-aim
I will say that I got a healthy dose of the beatles and annie lennox when i was younger though. I find it a bit odd how some of you have fairly reputable lists for the first albums you purchased.

Is it odd to think that any kid growing up in the late 1960s wanted Beatles albums? Those albums were must haves.
Old 01.04.2008, 01:01 AM   #107
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
What about Donna Summer "On the Radio"? You can't tell me seriously that that is a bad record. Really? No.

Also, Abba rocked, hard. Just watch the Abba 1977 movie. I think they were fucking brilliant. Just forgetting the showbiz/hype part of the equation for a moment and just looking at it from purely musical perspective.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2008, 03:10 AM   #108
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by contrelefuckingsexisme
the spice girls - spice - i was 7/8
the spice girls - spice world - i was 9/10
madonna - ray of light - i was 11
the smashing pumpkins - adore - i was 12
red hot chili peppers - californication - i was 12
I love you.

There was a Spice Girls documentary on TV the other night, and half way through I thought "I should've video'd this for Contre". Sorry it took me so long to think of that.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2008, 03:34 AM   #109
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
my top bands ever

sonic youth
beatles
dinosaur jr
butthoel surfers
pavement
sebadoh
neil young

how is that pop music with guitars?

Pavement have made some great Pop songs.

I partially read a book once where it studied Theodor Adorno's concept of Pop music. The opposite of Pop music being 'Serious Music', as he put it. Pop, being 'popular' (obviously), but in the sense of 'popular song structure'. There's a set structure that a song can be established upon that can be classified as Pop, or a Pop song. Where as serious music, would be, say, Sonic Youth. A band that follow their subconcious, if you want, who have no set structure, or a structure that doesn't necessarly follow a popular foundation anyway.
Old 01.04.2008, 03:44 AM   #110
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
Pavement have made some great Pop songs.

I partially read a book once where it studied Theodor Adorno's concept of Pop music. The opposite of Pop music being 'Serious Music', as he put it. Pop, being 'popular' (obviously), but in the sense of 'popular song structure'. There's a set structure that a song can be established upon that can be classified as Pop, or a Pop song. Where as serious music, would be, say, Sonic Youth. A band that follow their subconcious, if you want, who have no set structure, or a structure that doesn't necessarly follow a popular foundation anyway.

everyone should read adorno, particularly his essays on the culture industries, such as hollywood and the business of selling culture to the masses, i recall adorno also did make refernce to the then music business companies who were intrinsically tied to the film industry due to cross ownership etc....
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2008, 04:32 AM   #111
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
SY members can also have tastes that the "indie police" would condemn, for instance Thurston loves Meatloaf while Steve is a Sade fan.

what is wrong with Sade? the load I understand but Sade is bet'am dehna! (very good)

This is the only post of yours that I have ever agreed with.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2008, 04:37 AM   #112
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kina
hehe someone remembers them!

For non-australians/too young to have heard them and want to hear some aussie stoner rock from the 90s, the weed are ofcourse on youtube!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR7HOPsPabg (dunno if this works)

I remember Tumbleweed too. Interesting seeing them mentioned here.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2008, 05:05 AM   #113
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
So do you think our first five albums were formative somehow, shaping what we'd like to listen to, collect the rest of our lives? Any theories? Environment? Genetics? A combination of both?

I have never figured out my taste or forced myself to like a certain type of music. Like someone else already mentioned on this thread, I too was brought up in a very musical household where there is still a hi-fi system in every room, my mum and dad played Sardinian folk songs all the time, they sang together at party time, and we always had music coming out from the tv, radio etc etc. Music magazines were a necessity as much as food and shelter. Art-making was encouraged, rather than supressed.

There wasn't a specific type of it that I would listen to at any particular time (apart for a huge crush on grunge in the early 90's).

I thought about this yesterday and it's one of the trickiest things to work out. I went through the pop music phase, indie phase, indie-dance phase, hip hop phase, rock phase, grunge phase, noise rock phase, crude noise phase, apocalyptic folk phase, crooners phase, psych rock/garage phase (to this day one of the strongest musical influences on me), electro, synth pop, world music (I hate this term), soundtrack collector phase, punk, you name it. It's only now that I've completely stopped caring about what music I listen to and just get on with it.

The only short-lived and slightly embarassing mini-phase that I went through is the new age one. It lasted only one album that scarred me for life and was buried in my mind until I read this thread. Buried, you understand, both mentally and physically.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2008, 05:47 AM   #114
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
kids these days have it soo easy... my first albums were probably these....

age about 5 or 6

i was too young to actually get the john foxx era

sorry, still a classic!
Old 01.04.2008, 05:48 AM   #115
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I don't consider the lieks of Britney Spears and all that tripe as Pop. I don't know what I describe that music as... shit probably best describes it, or synthetic. Pop to me is not a dirty word.
Old 01.04.2008, 05:49 AM   #116
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses

again, still a classic although not as good as scoundrel days

and this absolute "gem"

Old 01.04.2008, 05:50 AM   #117
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
The whole pop thing really is a gray area, Britney Spears is Pop, also the latest Sonic Youth RR is pop. The meaning of pop really comes down to the person, and that will always change with each individual.
Old 01.04.2008, 05:55 AM   #118
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

here are some classic singles i owned as a kid...

i still have this as well, not yr reissue crap!

classic! 4ad labels first and only number one single by the way!

i know this is the album cover, i had that too!
Old 01.04.2008, 05:57 AM   #119
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

and who can forget this classic!!!

i forgot about this one too...

man im off to the attic to find my box of 7 inchers......
Old 01.04.2008, 06:03 AM   #120
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656

i forgot about this one too...

man im off to the attic to find my box of 7 inchers......

Whoa! I must have played that single a million times when it came out. I also really liked 'I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me' by him, do you remember it? At the end of the video, Nick Kershaw storms out of a concert hall with all his fans. That is a classic. I like Thompson Twins' 'King For A Day' too. People don't have hair like that anymore.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth