Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page J Mascis On His 13 Favourite Records
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.22.2011, 06:38 AM   #21
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
I can't get into The Swirlies (just like Deerhoof and Polvo, two other bands often mentioned here).
Old 03.22.2011, 02:40 PM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Blonder Tongue Audio Baton is a masterpiece -- way better than Deerhoof (who I think have never made a consistently great record, all their records are FILLED with filler) and Polvo (Today's Active Lifestyles is good though).

SWERVEDRIVER is an amazing band. It really doesn't get better than SON OF MUSTANG FORD. Every song on Raise is a masterpiece; way more talented than Ride (obviously more talented than MBV; MBV's songs were simple as hell, often downright boring.. interesting production notwithstanding).

Slowdive is my favorite band mentioned on this thread though.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2011, 03:55 PM   #23
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Always loved this one from Ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV--eYGPQJ8
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2011, 09:09 PM   #24
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Didn't they also do a tour with bands that were called shoegaze by the NME in 1991 or something?

They did the revolver tour in 92 with the Mary Chain and the Valentines (and Blur!) and I'm sure they must've played before that with bands who'd later be described as 'shoegaze'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
See, I thought Jesus and Mary Chain were more what you were describing than Dino was, demon. Maybe both were. They certainly came before most of that stuff, 1982 I think (Dino came two years later if I'm not mistaken, so both bands were kinda doing their thing, whih undoubtedly inspired bands doing the big-loud-walls-of-guitar-with-pop-hooks thing; I think, in the case of stuff like Ride and Slowdive, it's good to look at, say, Cocteau Twins as an unspoken influence)?

Yeah, it's difficult. I've always thought it was Dinosaur that set the ball rolling but it's impossible to discount the Mary Chain's influence. I would say, though, that I think Dinosaur had a bigger influence on the Valentines than the Mary Chain did. Although the degree to which Shoegaze can be reduced to the influence of the Valentines is another question.

Quote:
I actually think shoegaze started as sort of a derogatory term -- kinda boring music, with bands staring at their shoes and shit.

I thought it was because of the amount of pedals they used. Either way it was definitely used in a derogatory way. It was a term made up by either the Melody Maker, NME or Sounds. I remember one called them shoegazers and another referred to them as 'the scene that celebrates itself' because their gigs were always filled almost exclusively with members of other bands. I'd be amazed if any of those bands made any money from live shows, considering the guest lists for them must've looked like the yellow pages.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth