Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Have you ever been to a civil war re-enactment?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you like to see history re-enacted?
You can't beat the experience of reliving something that you weren't alive to see when it happened! 2 11.11%
No. What is past is past, there's nothing to be gained by re-enacting it. 8 44.44%
I've been to one, I wouldn't go again. 4 22.22%
I've never been to one, but I'd like to. 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03.20.2007, 11:54 AM   #1
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Well?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 11:56 AM   #2
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
No, but I read a good book called Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War by Tony Horwitz. He participates in some re-enactments and then writes about it.

My dad is a civil war buff, so I've visited several battlegrounds. Eh.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 11:58 AM   #3
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
no i havent but i would like to.

sounds like fun.
Old 03.20.2007, 11:59 AM   #4
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)

i could just live in that era of time...things were so good ya know?

Yeah, back then negroes stayed in their place. ??
Old 03.20.2007, 12:02 PM   #5
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I find the people who take part in these re-enactments a little scary. History is cool, we wouldn't be where we are now without it, but some people seem to take it all a little too seriously.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 12:03 PM   #6
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i went for a walk one sunday years ago and wandered into a field to see two large groups of people carrying swords and shields etc and dressed up in full lord of the rings style garb. i literally could not stop laughing when they started casting spells on eachother and trying to get eachother with their spears and stuff. my friends had to literally carry me out of the field because i was laughing so much.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 12:04 PM   #7
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
I find the people who take part in these re-enactments a little scary. History is cool, we wouldn't be where we are now without it, but some people seem to take it all a little too seriously.

Man, you'd like that book I mentioned.
Old 03.20.2007, 12:09 PM   #8
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
i know a ton of band kids that are drummers in re-enactments.
Old 03.20.2007, 12:16 PM   #9
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
no, but i have been here, not far from where Jenn lives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antietam

The Battle of Antietam (also known as the Battle of Sharpsburg, particularly in the South), fought on September 17, 1862, near Sharpsburg, Maryland, and Antietam Creek, as part of the Maryland Campaign, was the first major battle in the American Civil War to take place on Northern soil. It was the bloodiest single-day battle in American history, with almost 23,000 casualties.[1]

After pursuing Confederate General Robert E. Lee into Maryland, Union Army Major General George B. McClellan launched attacks against Lee's army, in defensive positions behind Antietam Creek. Despite having superiority of numbers, McClellan's attack failed to achieve concentration of mass, resulting in a three-phase battle that Lee was able to counter by shifting forces to meet each challenge. Despite ample reserve forces that could have been deployed to exploit localized successes, McClellan failed to destroy Lee's army. Nevertheless, Lee's invasion of Maryland was ended, and he was able to withdraw his army back to Virginia without interference from the cautious McClellan. Although the battle was tactically inconclusive, it had unique significance as enough of a victory to give President Abraham Lincoln the confidence to announce his Emancipation Proclamation.
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 12:17 PM   #10
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
no.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 12:26 PM   #12
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm, there's no poll option like, "Why the fuck would I spend my time doing something so completely inane and utterly mindnumbing boring!?"
Old 03.20.2007, 12:28 PM   #13
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I'd sooner read a book about UFOs. Or cut my toenails.
Old 03.20.2007, 12:32 PM   #14
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
Yeah, back then negroes stayed in their place. ??

not on my family's watch.

we were the first people to assist in the underground railroad in ohio. in fact, John Brown used to hide out in the barn.

the north (in general) really didn't care about slaves so much as evening out the disparity between labor costs....but some people certainly did care. it's one of the few things my ancestors did that I can be proud of.***

on topic: I've never been to one, but I'd certainly go watch. history is important and a visual representation would certainly go a long way in driving home just how bad it really was for both sides.

***my great-great-uncle (I think that's enough "greats") was General Travis (of alamo fame). I could have had a free-ride at any school in Texas due to him being a "Texas Hero", however that's blood money that I'll never touch.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 03:05 PM   #15
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Anngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I go all the time. Like every single day of the week. That's like my number one favorite thing to do of all time.

In other words, I've never been to one.

http://slouchingsunflowers.tumblr.com/
Anngella is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 04:54 PM   #16
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
i went to one a few years ago because it was "what was going on" in the next town over when i was visiting my parents. i was kind of excited to see what kind of people actually go to these things and thought i'd get to witness some cultural phenomenon. i was actually bored out of my skull. they had shooting contests and stuff but there was no "battle" re-enactment. so a guy in blue would go shoot a gun and try to hit something, then a guy in grey would. it was a nice day out and you could buy hot dogs. that was probably the most exciting part.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 06:20 PM   #17
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I happen to be quite the student of Oliver Cromwell and the English Civil Wars, and I've been to a few re-enactments. Around the city walls in Chester is always a good place (there was a protracted siege there, back in the day). I should quite like to have a go at 17th century life, as I love so many aspects of it's culture. I'd have lolled around quite happily searching out King Charles sympathisers and despatching them fastly to their maker.

If needs ever be, I know how to use a flintlock pistol and a polearm. Very usefull in downtown Birkenhead on a Saturday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl

Ha ha, you may be right. I've talked to some of the bods from the very serious indeed Wirral Skip Felagh (or something similar) Viking re-enactment group; they spend months making chainmail armour out of those round keyring links. Great people, they are. By researching the real history and living the life, they contribute a great deal.

Apart from the re-enactment side of things, it's often people like that who do hardcore research and write the really good local history books.

In another Viking-related bit of rubbish, that has even less to do with this thread than the two preceding paragraphs, I would like to say tat I live a ten minute walk from Prenton PArk, the ground of mighty football warriors Tranmere Rovers. Tranmere Rovers are the only league team with a Norwegian Viking name, and every week many Norwegians make the trip to support the club.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 06:30 PM   #18
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest

If needs ever be, I know how to use a flintlock pistol and a polearm. Very usefull in downtown Birkenhead on a Saturday night.

Where's downtown Birkenhead?
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 06:35 PM   #19
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I wouldn't know. But if I ever find myself there, on a Saturday night, surrounded by the assorted ne'er-do-wells who I imagine frequent that kind of area, I shall be alright as long as there's a handy flintlock or polearm.

Charing Cross or Argyle Street, I should think. When we go to the theatre, which is also at Charing Cross, there seems to be a bit of nightlife going on around and about. Makes me feel uneasy, to be quite frank.

Old 03.20.2007, 06:35 PM   #20
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

My partner informs me that there are several nightclubs in the Argyle Street area.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth