Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SYR1 @ 33 & 78 speed (NOT 45)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.15.2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

Dr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's asses
i am just wondering if anyone else has tried this yet? i did last night, and i dont know which one is better. i mean, i love it at 33 just because it will last longer. but i also liked it at 78 version as well. it's kinda like sex i guess. you can take your time, or just right down to it and floor it otto.

im sure alot of you must think im on crack, which is totally true as i am sitting on over 200 pounds of it, but thats not the point. this all started when a friend of mine lent me her turntable a few days ago. it actually started with an album called Decomposing by Nash The Slash, as he recorded it so that it can be played at any speed, including 16 rpm. and then once i listened to that, i thought. hey wait a minute. what would the first SYR lp sound like at 78 speed. all my other turntables only do 33 and 45. i might even attempt to borrow the neighbours video camera and record SYR1 at 78 rpm and upload them to youtube. but i dont even know if they are even up on that site, which i will bet $100 that they aren't.

so on that note, as SYR2 is mastered for 33. i havent gotten around to checking that one out at 78 yet. it's usually better if it's a record that's been mastered for 45 instead. which leads me to this question...

what other ones in the SYR series, are mastered for 45?
i intend on picking the rest up and giving away my cd versions (as i cannot stand fucking around with cds anymore) but i'm interested in knowing which ones are meant to be played at 45. that way, i can pick those ones up first.

thanks for sharing in my madness
and would hope this would make you want to do the same
Dr Chocolate is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2012, 03:18 AM   #2
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
I think SYR5 (Kim's) might be the only other one at 45.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2012, 03:56 AM   #3
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
This year came very interesting one-sided vinyl Veli-Matti O Äijälä: Raskas Taakka. In the label it is said it´s 33 rpm. But because Läjä´s talking with the music sounded like there were too little rpm:s, I tried it also 45rpm. And it really worked both ways! In the 45:s you can hear lyrics much better (the´re very interesting, because the whole album tells about dying, there´s nothing fantasy in it, it is kind of what´s the realism when you´re dying). But maybe music sounds better in 33rpm.

The other album I have listened both ways is P.J. Harveys White Chalk. There was no rpm:s in the label, so I naturally put it 33rpm. It was almost the end of the album when I realised it should be played 45rpm:s. I think it also worked it both ways and soon in the future I will listen it again 33rpm, because last time I listened it 45:s.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2012, 04:56 AM   #4
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
I wish I could play 78:ers on my record player..
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2012, 09:21 AM   #5
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I don't have a record player but: I play with VLC Player's speed settings all the time, almost always with movies/tv (faster), and often with music (usually slower).
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

Dr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's asses
it sucks that alot of the newer usb turntables i've seen dont play 78s. which is kinda fucked, but is that have to do with having to use a different style of needle to play old 78's. but i still havent tried to play SYR2 at 78 yet either. and i was told that i can borrow a camera that does video and i will put the 78rpm version of SYR1 on youtube (or can anyone else recommend something else thats better)
Old 08.26.2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

SYR2 at 78 rpm is like listening to those really fast passages in alot of Frank Zappa albums. never did play side 2 because side 1 was bad enough.
Old 08.27.2012, 02:41 PM   #8
dasx
children of satan

dasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
This year came very interesting one-sided vinyl Veli-Matti O Äijälä: Raskas Taakka. In the label it is said it´s 33 rpm. But because Läjä´s talking with the music sounded like there were too little rpm:s, I tried it also 45rpm. And it really worked both ways! In the 45:s you can hear lyrics much better (the´re very interesting, because the whole album tells about dying, there´s nothing fantasy in it, it is kind of what´s the realism when you´re dying). But maybe music sounds better in 33rpm.

The other album I have listened both ways is P.J. Harveys White Chalk. There was no rpm:s in the label, so I naturally put it 33rpm. It was almost the end of the album when I realised it should be played 45rpm:s. I think it also worked it both ways and soon in the future I will listen it again 33rpm, because last time I listened it 45:s.

Where did you buy Läjä's album?
dasx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2012, 03:34 AM   #9
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasx
Where did you buy Läjä's album?
I bought it from here:
http://www.levykauppax.fi/

But there ain´t any left anymore. But here seems to be it for sale:
http://www.discogs.com/Veli-Matti-O-...elease/3379170
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth