Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.04.2015, 08:38 PM   #46821
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
the Strokes are rich kids that made one, maybe two great albums. the White Stripes made two or three.

looking back, the Queens of the Stone Age kicked all their asses with Song for the Deaf. and that's a fact, not opinion. completely different but all gold. amazing band.

don't tell me they suck, because they had the best drummer at the time and much more creative songs. nobody gave a shit because of snobs and the grunge overtones they had, but they were better than that. certainly much more non-retro.

you like Led Zeppelin right? then check those guys out. you can't go wrong with Mark Lanegan behind the vocals and Dave Grohl behind the drums.

also check their first album and rated R.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2015, 12:22 AM   #46822
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
The Desert Sessions 9 & 10 are absolutely fabulous (there is also P.J. Harvey)! Don´t like Strokes & White Stripes at all (well White Stripes has few great songs).
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2015, 02:36 AM   #46823
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Worldbroken is great! Must for all SY-fans, specially those who love their jammy/noisy outputs. Reminds me little bit Lee´s spoken solo-pieces. Also listened again Lydia Lunch and Teenage Jesus & the Jerks, they´re just fantastic!
Old 06.05.2015, 03:59 AM   #46824
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
the desert sessions are pretty much just junk. very good junk that is. I love them all. yes, the one with PJ Harvey is excellent.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2015, 09:48 AM   #46825
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2015, 09:48 AM   #46826
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I'm listening to this new record by Blanck Mass (Benjamin John Power of Fuck Buttons) titled “Dumb Flesh.”

And while I have to admit that I was really hoping for 2015 to bring along a proper follow-up to 2013's phenomenal Slow Focus. With each release, Fuck Buttons grow about a century, and none of their three albums have not made my top 5 at the end of their respective year.

But Dumb Flesh, like Power's 2010 album under the same name, is extremely satisfying, and with Andrew Hung also releasing material in 2015 (Rave Cave EP "level 1", with a "level 2" hopefully on its way) I guess this is pretty much as close as one can get to having new Fuck Buttons music in earnest.

But Dumb Flesh is the superior solo effort, even if it wasn't quite as ambitious a project as Hung's Game Boy composed EP, it draws me in much like FB's three LP's... Forcefully, as though some hidden tentacled arms were jetting out from behind the speakers and pulling me bodily into its great blubbery being.

Worse things have tried to eat me... Go FUCK BUTTONS, even when yr not currently in Fuck Button form!

I need sleep very badly.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2015, 10:44 AM   #46827
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, I saw this last week. Damn good.

Why, I wonder, does David Letterman love the fucking Foo Fighters so much? I can't imagine they're really his favorite band. I can't imagine that he sits around groovin to x-static or watershed while he's hanging out at home.

"Everlong" is such a crap song. The one from the Colour & he Shape era (the last FF album that I actually listened to more than once) was always "My Hero." I still love that song, even though it's alt-radio Rock to the core. It's just a really powerful, kickass song that makes me think of Kurt Cobain, whether that's the point or not.

Video was excellent as well. But Everlong? Boring.

From what I have read the song Everlong really touched him after the birth of his baby Harry. It's his fave song, he says, for emotional reasons. Dave has always loved loud rock, and thoughtful singer-songwriters. He IS from Indiana you know...
Old 06.06.2015, 01:37 AM   #46828
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2015, 08:00 AM   #46829
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
KINKS-

Low Budget (1979)
Give the People What They Want (1981)
State of Confusion (1983)
Word of Mouth (1984)

Good bad albums, or bad good albums? The guitars sound cool for the most part, and Davies' lyrics remain Davies-esque (a very good thing). But after all, during this period they did add a fifth member to play the "synth." The 80s were harsh, but these albums could've sucked a lot more than they do. And they beat the crap out of Dylan's output of the time, or the Stones, or McCartney, etc.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2015, 04:06 AM   #46830
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Janis Ian`s Between the Lines-album is maybe little bit too easylistening music to me, I like much more her earlier outputs, but anyway it beats thousand Fleetwood Mac Rumours. In it´s all cliches I find this really great (all the albums songs have very great arrangements):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1u1GN2uO6I

It´s quite a miracle hipsters haven´t yet found this hidden genius.
Old 06.09.2015, 06:43 AM   #46831
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses

he'd be playing here tonight,
but I have to work.
bummer
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2015, 11:04 AM   #46832
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
KINKS-

Low Budget (1979)
Give the People What They Want (1981)
State of Confusion (1983)
Word of Mouth (1984)

Good bad albums, or bad good albums? The guitars sound cool for the most part, and Davies' lyrics remain Davies-esque (a very good thing). But after all, during this period they did add a fifth member to play the "synth." The 80s were harsh, but these albums could've sucked a lot more than they do. And they beat the crap out of Dylan's output of the time, or the Stones, or McCartney, etc.

The Kinks... The Davies bros. in general, and especially Ray, have always been the runt of the litter. I don't know why, because their music was so diverse and so bold during that golden era between their debut and Lola Vs. Powerman.. An incredible run of albums that more than kept pace with what the Beatles, Stones and Who were doing at the time.

But the general consensus is that they started sucking after the switch to RCA, and I can't really argue that those were weird times, but I still find moments to enjoy on Preservation Act 1 & 2.

But if you skip ahead, Sleepwalker really is an interesting and bizarre album. And their work in the 80's was indeed superior to that of the Stones, and Dylan.

Davies was a perennial outcast, always misunderstood. The Kinks as a band were always a few mental steps ahead of the populist rock n' roll world. Albums like Village Green Preservation Society and Arthur were far too subtle and quirky and eccentric for American audiences in the '60s. But looking back they were really something. "Victoria" is one of the best songs of the '60s. But how do you expect the American youth culture in 1968/9 to be able to relate to it, or any of their quintessentially British concept pieces?

Whatever.
Kinks > pretty much everything.
Old 06.09.2015, 03:52 PM   #46833
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
But how do you expect the American youth culture in 1968/9 to be able to relate to it, or any of their quintessentially British concept pieces?

I guess. Sorta. All I know is the first time I heard "Victoria" I found myself singing along before the song ended. Arthur might be my favorite, and it's failure is a little strange. I blame all the drugs.

Yeah, I'll be diving into the RCA concept albums next. As long as there's a few good songs each album, I'll be happy.

I should probably check out Ray and Dave's solo stuff too.

---

I'm a little embarrassed that I've listened to Singles Going Steady a few hundred times, but I don't think I've ever sat down with a proper Buzzcocks album. What's the one with the least dross?
Old 06.09.2015, 04:45 PM   #46834
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I guess. Sorta. All I know is the first time I heard "Victoria" I found myself singing along before the song ended.

the same thing happened to me but i know nothing about the britishisms severian claims are in it-- it's the music not some coded message in the lyrics. still don't know what that song is about.

just like glooooooriaaa

(maybe that's what stole their thunder)

(though i found out what the lyrics were on that one)

also: lo-lo-lo-lo-looola

O + A

(the open vowels)

--

eta: also:

paranOIA the destrOIA
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2015, 05:15 PM   #46835
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the same thing happened to me but i know nothing about the britishisms severian claims are in it-- it's the music not some coded message in the lyrics. still don't know what that song is about.

just like glooooooriaaa

(maybe that's what stole their thunder)

(though i found out what the lyrics were on that one)

also: lo-lo-lo-lo-looola

O + A

(the open vowels)

--

eta: also:

paranOIA the destrOIA

It's not secret code Brit propaganda, bro. It's just a song about "Victoria" as in Queen Victoria, who is used as a metaphor for England. It's just very British is all I'm saying. So much of their music was distinctly British- with references to Brit culture of both past and (then) present.

All of Arthur is about British Imperialism, war, nationalism and loss. The album is, after all, titled Arthur Or The Decline and Fall of the British Empire.

It's really not a subtle thing.

I feel weird and dizzy. Can't think straight. Hard to type. I'm not having a stroke am I?
Old 06.09.2015, 05:18 PM   #46836
evollove
invito al cielo

I totally get the language barrier thing, but you're really missing a big piece of what made Kinks so special if you entirely ignore the words.

Long ago, life was clean
Sex was bad, called obscene
And the rich were so mean
Stately homes for the Lords
Croquet lawns, village greens
Victoria was my queen
Victoria! Victoria!

But yeah. "Lick Bore Ee Uh!" might be just as catchy off the bat.
Old 06.09.2015, 05:19 PM   #46837
evollove
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm not having a stroke am I?

What a sad way to go.
Old 06.09.2015, 05:40 PM   #46838
evollove
invito al cielo

If one is not or cannot pay attention to the lyrics, are verses usually pretty boring? In the best songs, this is where the story develops. But if you don't care about the story, are verses mostly just the boring bits between the choruses?
Old 06.09.2015, 06:03 PM   #46839
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I feel weird and dizzy. Can't think straight. Hard to type. I'm not having a stroke am I?

do you smell toast?

Quote:
I totally get the language barrier thing, but you're really missing a big piece of what made Kinks so special if you entirely ignore the words.

Long ago, life was clean
Sex was bad, called obscene
And the rich were so mean
Stately homes for the Lords
Croquet lawns, village greens
Victoria was my queen
Victoria! Victoria!

But yeah. "Lick Bore Ee Uh!" might be just as catchy off the bat.

longooooria

that's good lyrics-- though not as funny as "lola"-- we used to scream it drunk--- i had a friend actually named lola-- none of us knew then the song was about gender panics (or lack thereof).

if wish you read spanish so you could read josé agustín's "de perfil" which is a novel about upper middle class mexican kids from the 60s forming rocanrroll bands-- it's full of innumerable superfunny moments, and the transcription of one of the kids (the narrator i think) mouthing the words of a song in english gave me bellyaches with laughter.

i can't replicate it here because it takes a genius for prose plus you'd have to hear it from spanish. the closest approximation i could think of is cornholio.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2015, 06:29 PM   #46840
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses

1842224222922332233923402341 2342 234323442345235223922442 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth