Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Do you generally give a honest opinion to someone when it comes to their music?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: ...
Yes 15 48.39%
No 5 16.13%
Sometimes I lie, other times I tell the truth 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10.20.2008, 02:54 PM   #21
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
field analysis suggests a 98.7% chance that greedrex is in love with sarramkrop.

page 2 redeployment of on-topic quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
The best personal example I can give is listening to my boyfriend's music.
I always tell him honestly what I feel. The majority of the time, he's
creating sounds that are at the very least interesting and worthy of
further time and effort, and I tell him so. If it's something weak, I'll
tell him that too.

The worst review is no review.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 02:56 PM   #22
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
field analysis suggests a 98.7% chance that greedrex is in love with sarramkrop.
yeah Porky is kinda cute.
hey you SPELL MY NAME THE RIGHT WAY
so you get one point.
Old 10.20.2008, 03:01 PM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I tell people honestly.

however, when one does not liek something it is much more polite to say "it is not my thing." than to berate someone for sucking.

there are very few bands that outright SUCK. ussually it is just not to my musical tastes.
Old 10.20.2008, 03:05 PM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
One of my favourite things about seeing gigs with mates is that moment at the end of the gig when one of you turns around and goes "That was fucking AMAZING!" and the other turns around and goes "That was FUCKING SHIT" and then you laugh. Happy times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 03:12 PM   #25
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
greedrex is in love with sarramkrop.

Old 10.20.2008, 03:14 PM   #26
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
One of my best friends fancies himself as a composer. And by this I mean he records himself playing horribly unimaginative Kerry King-style guitar solos and tries to justify them with theoretical bullshit. I never compliment him, but I never criticise either. It's not worth it.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 04:14 PM   #27
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Honestly, I rarely talk music with people in the real world. If it's a friend, sure I'll tell them the truth. Fuck them, they're a friend and I wouldn't be a friend if I just fed them shit all day. Besides, there is something bonding in jocular lampooning.

The only scenario I can picture is talking to a pretty girl and, of course, I'll bullshit her till we go to her place. Unless of course she has a taste for acidic brutality. Kinky minx.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 04:25 PM   #28
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley

The only scenario I can picture is talking to a pretty girl and, of course, I'll bullshit her till we go to her place. Unless of course she has a taste for acidic brutality. Kinky minx.

hahahahaah
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 04:31 PM   #29
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
it depends on who it is, what the situation is and how much i have had to drink. there are times i hold my tongue and dont give an honest answer or just tell the other person that its not really my thing but there are also times i just flat out say something is bad. its suprising how many people become massively insulted if you you speak your opinion about music.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 04:33 PM   #30
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I just try to avoid the chance of having to explain what music I listen to, especially if they won't know the band names.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 04:34 PM   #31
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
nope.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 04:37 PM   #32
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I've never known anybody who makes music I like, and so have lied repeatedly.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 04:39 PM   #33
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
I've never known anybody who makes music I like, and so have lied repeatedly.

I like how you've deftly covered up your seething jealousy of your best mate, Chris Rea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 04:42 PM   #34
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
road to hell, what a number!

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 05:45 PM   #35
ihateyouth
children of satan

ihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, and I try to be nice, but I usually transform into a snobbish indie bitch or so they say. If dude likes Coldplay it's serious.
ihateyouth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 05:48 PM   #36
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

lechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asses
if it's a hot chick then sure, i can pretend to kinda enjoy even something i despise..

but if it's just an idiot who likes dream theater then i'm like, fuck off noob i don't wanna be friends with you!
lechaoscestmoi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 06:01 PM   #37
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
I rarely tell the truth to anyone about anything. Right now my flatmate thinks that I think his shitty film-school film is 'excellent' which, if I meant it, would put it on par with Taxi Driver in my mind (under the category of ‘excellent films’).

I suppose its just judging things relatively, i.e., last Christmas my grandma knitted me this purple cardigan and I was impressed that a nearly-blind woman, working on her own, could knit something so accomplished-looking (no holes, loosely fitted). It seemed great but implicitly I was actually thinking it was great-for-her - there are probably better cardigans that cost a couple of quid from the market. I think it’s all about the implicit 'for-them'. That film-school film is genuinely shit though, I’m going to tell him to his face, the wanker (he stole some of my bread).
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 09:16 PM   #38
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
taste is taste. in fact, i usually envy people who can just sit back with thier mainstream radio and television and be so complacent and not question anything. it's been quite the burden for me being interested in harmolodics, noise, atonality, free improvisation, free jazz, dissonance, grindcore, cock esp, industrial, dark ambient, drone, and the like. I'll never forget when I went on a date with a girl. The girl was named Maudie, total girl next door type; pretty, wholesome, wore dresses, didn't drink, smoke, use, or even drink coffee, hated loud music, and was basically the polar opposite of "my type", but I liked her. The whole night went great, untill she turned on my car cd player and I had forgotten to take Temple of Bon Matin's "Bullet into Mesmer's Brain", a minute into the song she thought I was legit insane, asked for a ride home, and never called back. Didn't phase me much, because I still know how rad Temple of Bon Matin is.

The point of this? We have no right telling anyone what they listen to is bad. It's thier choice. We all take our certain paths, and as shallow as it is, what we are into pop culture wise is a big part of our individuality in this society. Therefore, it would suck if everyone liked what you liked. Give me diversity, give me freedom, give me wierd.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 09:57 PM   #39
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
I dissed my friend's sis's band once and she gave me hell for the whole week. Apparently Maximum Rock'n'Roll said they're the "second coming of The Descendants." They're pretty.. unextraordinary. You judge.

http://www.myspace.com/cheekyli
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 11:02 PM   #40
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I voted Yes, but I have to qualify it by saying my standards for people who are trying to make something are more open than my standards for those who have achieved "success" of some sort.

I've had some friends who made music that wasn't my scene at all, but I still encouraged them and pointed out the best parts while being honest that it wasn't my thing. Meanwhile, nearly all of my friends who've achieved some level of popularity have happened to make great music I thought deserved it.

I tend to seek out people who make the kind of music I love, so usually by the time I've bothered to get to know somebody, I know their music is great. Also, I've found that several people who I found I enjoy conversing with, coincidentally made awesome music they hadn't even told me about. That's happened with a couple people from this board, but it's also happened with an Australian guy I met on the Michael Moorcock board too.

I don't know what I do if I made friends with somebody and they turned out to be Eddie Vedder or Don Henley. That would really suck.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth