Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Do you generally give a honest opinion to someone when it comes to their music?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: ...
Yes 15 48.39%
No 5 16.13%
Sometimes I lie, other times I tell the truth 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10.20.2008, 02:01 PM   #1
sarramkrop

Poll.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 02:02 PM   #2
al shabbray

definately yes
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 02:03 PM   #3
sarramkrop

No lies please.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 02:05 PM   #4
al shabbray

hahaha
its pretty rare that I think something really sucks through and through. of course if I dont like the whole concept of it and I like the person then I tend to talk about the good parts when being asked. but if someone asks me about a particular part, my opinion will be honest, everything else would be just wrong, I think
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 02:09 PM   #5
sarramkrop

Do you always expect people to tell you exactly what they thing about your own music, or you just prefer them to be polite about it all? I mean, saying nothing sometimes is best, but in certain situations it can also come accross as a cowardly thing to do.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 02:09 PM   #6
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
he he
i get asked quite often to give a straightforward opinion on muzak.
If i like it i say so; if i don't then i don't answer. It's mean to say it sucks + i don't have the monopoly of good taste.
Old 10.20.2008, 02:10 PM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Depends on what honest opinion means. I'm tactful, mostly. Listening to a friend's stuff recently, I was genuinely impressed with the hi-hat sound, and the snare sounded great. Additional to that, I thought it was doing nothing but adding to the shitpile of shit that clouds all that is right and holy about music, but I didn't tell them that bit.

I try not to lie, and luckily most people are smart enough/ too stupid to realise that my talking about objective facts of recording are my way of saying I don't like things.

It's difficult though - obviously, I'm aware of the fact a lot of the time that whatever my opinion is doesn't make a band better or worse. I could hear the very best 4th-wave Grunge band years before anyone else, and I'd still think it was shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 02:13 PM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Do you always expect people to tell you exactly what they thing about your own music, or you just prefer them to be polite about it all? I mean, saying nothing sometimes is best, but in certain situations it can also come accross as a cowardly thing to do.

That's a more difficult one. I think a lot of people have a hard time listening to music that's of a sort they've not come across before; I think there's an equal amount of musicians who don't realise that the reason people don't like their music isn't because they haven't found the audience for it yet, it's because it's shit.

Of all the reactions I've had to my music, the one that hurt the most was the one that said it sounded like Godspeed. The guy who refused to be in the same room as it made me very happy.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 10.20.2008, 02:22 PM   #9
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
he he
i get asked quite often to give a straightforward opinion on muzak.
If i like it i say so; if i don't then i don't answer. It's mean to say it sucks + i don't have the monopoly of good taste.

That has nothing to do with having any monopoly on anything. If you are asked what you think about genocide by someone you like, you're not going to tell them that you don't know enough of it to make a comment, do you?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 02:23 PM   #10
al shabbray

Quote:

when i am not being asked then I only say something if I like it, If I dont like it then why waste the energy for it?
but when I am asked I am honest, but its always a matter of taste when it comes to music and if I got the feeling that the other person doesnt think that way, then I tell that too, what he or she makes out of it isnt my problem.
and yes if I ask somebody about something I did I expect honesty, if i got the feeling afterwards that it wasnt honest at all I wont ask them in the future.
like you said somewhere here before, no matter what anybody says you wont stop making the stuff you do, and I think thats right in every way. so why lying? it would be a loose loose situation
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 02:27 PM   #11
al shabbray

what are you voting for sarram?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 02:27 PM   #12
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
That has nothing to do with having any monopoly on anything. If you are asked what you think about genocide by someone you like, you're not going to tell them that you don't know enough of it to make a comment, do you?
Compare what's comparable.
Are you comparing a demo CD with the holocaust?
Old 10.20.2008, 02:31 PM   #13
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
With a band that consists of three of my closest friends; Legion - Guildford's answer to the dieing gothic rock scene, I am honest, but I avoid being brutal about it. I always tell them they right good tunes, because they really do, but I don't hesitate to tell them they are bearly original at all. This is the most important quality in music and art for me, and the though the frontman and 'bandleader' admits they're a regressive act, I just can't overlook they're rehashing the old formulas that made The Sisters Of Mercy, Rosetta Stone and the Nephilim decent bands back in the 80s.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 02:32 PM   #14
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
Compare what's comparable.
Are you comparing a demo CD with the holocaust?

This is the sort of thing that generally asks for a predictable answer, therefore it' better give none. And who was referring to the holocaust as such, anyway? There have been many other acts of genocide around the world.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 02:33 PM   #15
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Back to the matter at hand people...

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 02:40 PM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
...bearly original...

Quote:
Old 10.20.2008, 02:42 PM   #17
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Usually if I truely don't like it I don't reply(if on the internet).
If in person I just say it's not my thing.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 02:45 PM   #18
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I listened to yr music. it smells like zyklon b.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 02:45 PM   #19
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
This is the sort of thing that generally asks for a predictable answer, therefore it' better to give none. And who was referring to the holocaust as such, anyway? There have been many other acts of genocide around the world.
ha ha you fail!
Old 10.20.2008, 02:49 PM   #20
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
The best personal example I can give is listening to my boyfriend's music.
I always tell him honestly what I feel. The majority of the time, he's
creating sounds that are at the very least interesting and worthy of
further time and effort, and I tell him so. If it's something weak, I'll
tell him that too.

The worst review is no review.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth