Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page No Wave Documentary -Kill Your Idols On Pitchfork this week
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.19.2008, 11:30 AM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Finally the website does something cool besides telling us thom yorkes bathroom schedule.Anyone already seen this doc? I assume by the title that sonic youth will at least be in it for a little bit.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...ill-your-idols
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 11:31 AM   #2
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
boght it 2 years ago
Old 10.19.2008, 11:32 AM   #3
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=26893

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 11:33 AM   #4
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
Finally the website does something cool besides telling us thom yorkes bathroom schedule.Anyone already seen this doc? I assume by the title that sonic youth will at least be in it for a little bit.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...ill-your-idols

we already got a thread for this....
but yes sonic youth are in there, and the YYYs the liars, suicide, teenage jesus blablabla
its good and interesting
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 12:19 PM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
I just realized Lydia looks kinda like my mom now. I mean, it's obvious that she was once a very vibrant, interesting, and beautiful young woman but age has taken its toll. Aesthetically they look similar too, thick hair, round body, etc..
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 12:28 PM   #6
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
one of the worst documentaries that i have ever seen

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 12:38 PM   #7
al shabbray

^^^I liked it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 01:28 PM   #8
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
one of the worst documentaries that i have ever seen

Yeah, it had it's moments (how couldn't it interviewing that bunch), but as a documentary it really was poorly put together. Why on Earth were groups like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs even included? Let alone that one bunch of G&R wannabes?? Even the Black Dice and Gogol Bordelo didn't seem to be there for any concrete reason, though of course the original no wavers don't hate them as much since they aren't just copping somebody elses style from thirty years ago. Rob Your Idols would have been a more appropriate title for most of it.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 01:37 PM   #9
al shabbray

maybe its because I like both worlds. I really like the YYYS and liars and the new bunch of bands (not all) and of course the old gangsters
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 01:46 PM   #10
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
it was cool untill they went directly from swans to yeah yeah yeahs (ew). i dont know what gives them the balls to just straight up skip out on a full decade like the 90's ever happened, I would have loved segments on God is my Co Pilot or maybe Unsane/Helmet and those bands. The footage is not that great (I mean, they show a clip of "Kissability" to demonstrate Sonic Youth in the BEGINNING of thier career?) though there is one clip of Sonic Youth in noise assault mode which is great, a Teenage Jesus clip with Lydia screaming her brains out which is nothing short of inspiring, anf the Swans clip when they're playing vintage Filth stuff with what's her face contorting her body on a little rug. All and all, decent.
Old 10.19.2008, 01:50 PM   #11
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
gogol bordello..... why????????????????
Old 10.19.2008, 02:24 PM   #12
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
it was cool untill they went directly from swans to yeah yeah yeahs (ew). i dont know what gives them the balls to just straight up skip out on a full decade like the 90's ever happened, I would have loved segments on God is my Co Pilot or maybe Unsane/Helmet and those bands. The footage is not that great (I mean, they show a clip of "Kissability" to demonstrate Sonic Youth in the BEGINNING of thier career?) though there is one clip of Sonic Youth in noise assault mode which is great, a Teenage Jesus clip with Lydia screaming her brains out which is nothing short of inspiring, anf the Swans clip when they're playing vintage Filth stuff with what's her face contorting her body on a little rug. All and all, decent.

okay yes thats right. they just made the comparisons between now and then. and left out completely whats between them. thats a major flaw. I just saw that documentary like the comparison between now, and its no wave origins. not like a chronographical documentary bout that new york scene from then to now
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 02:39 PM   #13
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
gogol bordello..... why????????????????
madonna likes them.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 02:44 PM   #14
batreleaser
invito al cielo

not to mention i highly doubt karen o gives two shits about glenn branca.
Old 10.19.2008, 02:54 PM   #15
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by al shabbray
maybe its because I like both worlds. I really like the YYYS and liars and the new bunch of bands (not all) and of course the old gangsters

I sort of like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I mean, they're better than Pearl Jam or Hootie and the Blowfish. They just aren't No Wave by any stretch of the imagination. Neither are Liars who I really like a lot, and I'm sure they'd agree. Sonic Youth influenced noise rock, sure, but their sound owes close to nothing to DNA or Mars or the Contortions. The whole premise of this "documentary" is a ridiculous grasp at non-existent straws to tout the directors own favorite bands.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 03:44 PM   #16
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth actually owes a lot to No Wave as a movement and thier early music holds very close to the No Wave aesthetic; uncompromising, non-commerical, artistic, dark, atonal, lack of melody, saying to to struture, etc.. No Wave as a very diverse and small scene, none of those bands sound similar other than use of Volume and Noise, but to say thier sound owes nothing to them is absurd. Lee and Thurston learned experimental guitar technique from Glenn Branca, one of the key No Wave players, and if Thurston had not gotten into No Wave, he might've been in bands like the Coachwhips forever. Without Suicide and the Voioids there would have been no DNA or Teenage Jesus, without Teenage Jesus and DNA, most likely no Sonic Youth or Swans. Sorry folks, nothing comes out of thin air, everything in this world is the cause of some ever present effect. No Wave may have seemed like it came out of nowhere, but Noise and Harmolodics and Atonality being incorprated into Rock N Roll was no new idea.
Old 10.19.2008, 03:47 PM   #17
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I sort of like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I mean, they're better than Pearl Jam or Hootie and the Blowfish. They just aren't No Wave by any stretch of the imagination. Neither are Liars who I really like a lot, and I'm sure they'd agree. Sonic Youth influenced noise rock, sure, but their sound owes close to nothing to DNA or Mars or the Contortions. The whole premise of this "documentary" is a ridiculous grasp at non-existent straws to tout the directors own favorite bands.

I totally agree!
maybe this wouldnt be a bad starting point to get into the whole no wave things, cause it throws the wrong light on things, you are absolutely right...
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 03:55 PM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Deja vu... This doc sucks.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 04:05 PM   #19
al shabbray

this whole pitchfork tv is pretty nice. good quality life vids
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 04:20 PM   #20
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
I just finished watching this documentary. It was very enjoyable, but no chance in hell do The Yeah Yeah Yeahs deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Suicide, or Sonic Youth for that matter. This said, they were trying to focus on the contempary "art-punk"/experimental scene, and they did mention bands I consider to be the logical progression on from the 70s/80s scene, namely Liars and Black Dice.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth