Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page where do I start on Bjork?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.18.2008, 04:15 AM   #1
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
i havent been much into that gorgeous woman, i mean musically, except for a fast glimpse of Debut. i actually had that fucked up mixtape of Debut/Live Though This, done for me by my best friend from high school, a girl namely Nadya, we kept hangin' out and getting high on various shit missin' classes... wait that was another story.

so where one starts on Bjork.
any of Sugarcubes work worth checking too?
what was the other girl's name in the 'cubes?
Old 10.18.2008, 04:17 AM   #2
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
The Sugarcubes - Life's Too Good is well worth listening to. As is the band Bjork was in before that, KUKL.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 04:24 AM   #3
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
HOMOGENIC all the way.
This LP is sublime.

I also really Like Vespertine, perfect for cocooning on Sunday mornings.
Old 10.18.2008, 04:42 AM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
HOMOGENIC all the way.
This LP is sublime.

I concur. My favourite of her LPs, and possibly the least 'difficult' of her solo works. Not that she's massively difficult, but she can be very Bjork at times. I'm sure this makes sense to anyone who's heard Vespertine. Good, but very Bjork.

I wouldn't really bother with the Sugarcubes. Ok, but not great. Kukl I enjoy a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 04:56 AM   #5
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Post is the only Bjork LP I care for. Not for musical reasons though.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Here's my answer from the last time somebody asked this:

Maybe hang around London and find out what health club she belongs to, then get a membership.

Casually, figure a way onto the stairmaster next to hers, and then slyly mention that "it really is difficult keeping a workout schedule when you are up all night moving crowds of thousands with your dj skills at the beach raves."

That ought to spark her interest, and then mention this really nice vegan sushi fusion joint you know off Camden street that has the most heavenly bubble tea, and how you love going there because the door guy keeps the annoying groupies out.

Once there, you're of course going to want to move up from bubble tea to saki as quickly as you can, and don't forget a little vitamin X. Don't stop talking about how you prefer to make millions without ever having your face in the forefront and are just looking for the perfect diva to soak up all of the recognition you prefer to live without.

It all comes down to how you have this demo that she needs to hear, but it just won't sound right unless you play it for her on the surround sound system in your aquarium room back at your flat...
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 05:14 AM   #7
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
First off, I'd advise you not to start on Bjork because she'll punch you in the groin.

But if you're interested in her music, I'd start with KUKL's Holidays In Europe and Bjork's Homogenic.

I never cared much for Sugarcubes.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 05:22 AM   #8
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
HOMOGENIC all the way.
This LP is sublime.

this albums are her peak in my opinion, and what a great peak!!!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2008, 06:21 AM   #9
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
the best of bjork
Old 10.18.2008, 06:22 AM   #10
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
seriously... start at the beginning and work yr way through her career.. see how far you get before getting bored shitless..

Old 10.18.2008, 06:24 AM   #11
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
lol, paul
Old 10.19.2008, 11:17 PM   #12
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Homogenic is my suggestion as well.

(Vespertine and Medulla are my personal favorites, but maybe not the best place to start off)
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 11:34 PM   #13
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
I like "Homogenic" from what I remember, I traded in all my Bjork cds about 10 months ago though. She has an amazing and ridiculously unique voice, but the music she's singing over is so fucking boring.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 12:30 AM   #14
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Telegram is my favourite
Old 10.20.2008, 03:46 AM   #15
gohleekwang
stalker

gohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's asses
go for Debut, a groundbreaking album. Post is not a bad follow up, Homogenic is a step forward from Post. by then, the following albums are fine but nothing better. she just tried hard to keep the quality as good album.
gohleekwang is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 04:49 AM   #16
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
debut, then homogenic
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 07:13 AM   #17
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I have so much Bjork, but POST has always remained my favorite.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 07:50 AM   #18
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
If you just want to get into Bjork's solo albums, then I don't see any reason not to do it chronologically. She's not made that many albums anyway.

Debut maybe a little dated-sounding but it has some outstanding songs. Post is great, as is Homogenic (my favourite) and Verspertine (I dig the glacial atmosphere). Medulla is all accapella: its the only album that I definitely wouldn't recommend as a starter but then I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as it's rubbish, and I thought Volta was patchy. So by doing it chronologically you will be loosely starting with the better stuff and ending with the dodgier stuff anyway.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 08:08 AM   #19
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
NWRA is pretty on point. But even MEDULLA is great, and in fact was my wife's first foray into Bjork, and she still fell in love even with that one as a start.

Also, if you just want an overview, there is a GREATEST HITS collection that is pretty good. Somebody probably already mentioned that, but I didnt read much of this thread. Ha.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2008, 08:16 AM   #20
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, I have that Greatest Hits CD at home (my brother once got if for me for Christmas) and as far as I remember, it's pretty good. All the better songs are there, and so is the great remix of "All is full of love" (which was also present on Homogenic, but not as catchy).

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth