Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Feedback and Distortion: Either, Both or Neither?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: ...
Both (explain) 16 76.19%
Either (explain) 3 14.29%
Neither (explain) 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10.17.2008, 04:22 AM   #21
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Distortion and feedback? On a Sonic Youth forum? No way!
Old 10.19.2008, 04:40 AM   #22
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
not to be a bitch but distortion/feedback does not equal atonality. id say that lightning bolt, at least most of their riffs are pretty tonal, and they dont incorporate too many dissonants, they are loud as fuck, but i'd say pretty tonal...

I like it when people know more than a smidge about what they're takling about. Everything I've heard of Lightning Bolt (which is, in fairness, by no means comprehensive) is pretty tonal. The reason they're called effects pedals is because they affect the sound - if the sound underneath is tonal, it doesn't matter which pedal you're using, the music is still tonal. Which is where feedback can produce some non-consonant sounds, but it's rare that these sounds don't have a harmonic relationship to the core tone. I find most noise-y pedals tend to still produce consonant overtones, even with feedback.

Anyway. Personally, I prefer tonal feedback, but the last few years I don't really like anything other than clean on an electric guitar. Distorted violin I'm a fan of (Kosugi), and percussion sounds amazing feedbacking. The thing with SY, and Hendrix for that matter, is that they've got superlative control over their feedback, (except in their 'free' sections, obviously) it's very much part of the song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 08:38 AM   #23
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I like it when people know more than a smidge about what they're takling about. Everything I've heard of Lightning Bolt (which is, in fairness, by no means comprehensive) is pretty tonal. The reason they're called effects pedals is because they affect the sound - if the sound underneath is tonal, it doesn't matter which pedal you're using, the music is still tonal. Which is where feedback can produce some non-consonant sounds, but it's rare that these sounds don't have a harmonic relationship to the core tone. I find most noise-y pedals tend to still produce consonant overtones, even with feedback.

Anyway. Personally, I prefer tonal feedback, but the last few years I don't really like anything other than clean on an electric guitar. Distorted violin I'm a fan of (Kosugi), and percussion sounds amazing feedbacking. The thing with SY, and Hendrix for that matter, is that they've got superlative control over their feedback, (except in their 'free' sections, obviously) it's very much part of the song

That's very true, and I was experimenting with such a thing when I've started this poll the other day. I've turned on a microphone, switched on a synth , and turned the volume up super-loud on both, while I stuck the mike into my mouth and played conventional chords on the synth. Even though you get some nicely erractic modulations making an appearence with the feedback, the synth chords were 'weirded up', but still tonal.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth