Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Are you a music fan or a music expert?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.05.2008, 07:44 PM   #1
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Lets face it, we all probably know about a wider range of music than your average Joe. However, now and then we'll all invariably know someone who is an absolute POWERHOUSE of musical knowledge. I know several, and I suspect many of you do too. So what I want to ask in this thread is if there is a point where a person's musical knowledge becomes so absurdly broad they stop being music fans but rather music experts, or music historians?

I personally relate to and understand the desire to explore the musical spectrum, but I feel there is a point when people that do this a vast amount don't have time to really LOVE music anymore, to sit down and listen to a record until you know all it's twists and turns yet still hear something new in it everytime. I feel I know people who have forgotten the joy of discovering and loving music and it's been overtaken by the will to research and know about bands. I feel alot of this has to do with people feeling discussions with fellow music fans are competitions, somehow feeling superior when they can name-drop the best new band they've discovered, or failed if they can't.

I guess the issue here is the difference between 'knowing' and 'liking'. I know about The Cure, but I do not like them. Same with a good few bands. Maybe its justified to take a record-shop-owner approach to knowing about music you don't neccessarily like yourself- Just understand their place in the history of music. So maybe 'knowing' abbout music is justified, but I guess whats really disagreeable is passing off something you know about as something you listen too. Maybe what I'm getting at is that empty 'liking' of bands, of listing thousands of bands on your myspace and yet clearly not having taken the time to explore and grow to love or even like the band.
Quite frankly I'm not sure what I'm getting at anymore, I've confused myself, hopefully you can extract some meaning from these detatched and unstructured thoughts. Though, one thing I do know is, and remember this people, the number of bands you've heard of is directly proportional to the size of your dick. Right?

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
fan.
i do not engage in elitist-music-nazi-"i listen to the most obscure music on the planet and shun anything popular even if i happen to like it because if anyone knew i liked it i wouldn't look cool" bullshit.

fuck KNOWING about a band. the only thing i care to know is if they sound good.
Old 07.05.2008, 07:51 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
A fan; and if a band I like is interesting I'll read up on them, sure.

Not sure what the point of knowing about a band is if you don't like them... and there's plenty of bands I love that I don't know a thing about. So, either way. Yeah, a fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U82eWptFxSs

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2008, 08:38 PM   #4
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i never think about it the distinction, nor do i care to. end of sentence.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2008, 08:57 PM   #5
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to be a music expert because I do research music in many genres but music that I like. But I'm just a fan. Though I don't know facts and band members of more than three bands maybe, if that.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2008, 08:57 PM   #6
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I don't even listen to all that many different bands. Strangely enough I know people that have considerably more records than I do yet they still seem to value my opinion on music. It's not as though "liking" music is some kind of divine epiphany that dawns on me upon first listen. Instead I have noticed that the music I like most has invariably required me to know something of the music in order to find a context that I can engage with. In this way, I am aware of a deal of bands that I have tried to understand but ultimately decided that I do not care for, and this is more often than my liking which is why I search out opinions from those I feel have a comparable taste in music. I never suggest to anyone that the bands that I know and can talk about are the same as the bands that I care to listen to. I won't consider myself an expert and I barely consider myself a fan of music (if we are going to assume music as a total instead of the idea of music itself).

As for walking music historians, I barely know of their existence apart from blogs or other third hand sources. I can just assume that they have a more general appreciation for music than I care to. Whatever floats their boat.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2008, 08:57 PM   #7
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Fan, I enjoy music. Becoming an expert takes 99% of the fun out of it.
Old 07.05.2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I've been quoted as an expert a few times, but I always thought it was ridiculous. I'm hardly an encyclopedia of knowledge about any of my favorite artists or genres with the possible exceptions of Sun Ra and Sonic Youth, but even there so many people know so much more. In a world with Wikipedia and Google, why the fuck would anyone memorize liner notes anymore, anyway?
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2008, 11:40 PM   #9
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
i know a lot compared to some but few compared to the rest.
i am studying musicology, so i will become a "music historian" but not in the sense that you meant...
plus i never belived that to be an expert you have to shun certain bands and only like obscure. i find it much more invigorating to try to find the beauty in all kinds of music, whether it be free jazz, 17th century monody, 1920s blues, or pop music.
usually there is good to be found in music....

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2008, 11:48 PM   #10
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think that we need to distinguish between enjoyment and expertise. One can enrich the other. It's more down to people - some of whom are tedious in the extreme regardless of how much or little they know. You can over enjoy, just as much as you can over theorise.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2008, 12:11 AM   #11
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
There should be a third option to this question - a musician.
And that I am.
Though I've gotta say those elitist "I know more obscure bands than you" bitches are annoying... when you're a musician, it almost makes it okay. At least in my eyes. When you don't know bands and music history and more specifically the history to important bands, it most likely makes you look like an idiot in front of not only regular people but musicians.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2008, 12:41 AM   #12
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I am a fan. I have an adoration of music of all sorts. I love discovering new sounds, bands and musical concepts. In fact, half the reason I'm on these boards so frequently is because I have an obsession with learning more about the art form.

I'm also a musician (far from the best, but my heart is in the right place) and there's nothing I love more than a good jam session, writing a song or putting my soul on display through sound for others.

I have a friend who sees me as a fellow music afficiando, and highly respects my opinion or loves when I introduce him to new music. In all honesty, his knowledge trumps mine tenfold...BUT I really don't feel his soul is in the subject.

You can know all the random tidbits and obscure artists you want, but if you don't "get it" in the first place; it's pointless.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2008, 12:45 AM   #13
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

You can know all the random tidbits and obscure artists you want, but if you don't "get it" in the first place; it's pointless.

That's kind of the point I was trying to get across... Damn, I need to sleep.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2008, 12:56 AM   #14
fauni gena
empty page

fauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's asses
why would anyone who really loves music and who's not really interested in impressing their friends or w/e pseudo-love for music bs want to be an "expert" in the way OP put it?

ppl listen to music at different rates, and even those who find and listen to new music at a fast rate listen to different records at different rates. dismissing "fast listeners" who know a lot to be obscurants is a bullshit excuse for not actually having listened to the stuff they've heard and liked

just take a recommendation, listen to the fucking record, and make up your own mind

that said, i have a lot to learn about music and am not a particularly fast listener compared to some others, but i'll never dismiss someone as being obscure
fauni gena is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2008, 01:04 AM   #15
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauni gena
why would anyone who really loves music and who's not really interested in impressing their friends or w/e pseudo-love for music bs want to be an "expert" in the way OP put it?

Wanting to become an expert, and having some kind of need to flaunt your expertise in front of others are two different things.
Old 07.06.2008, 01:08 AM   #16
fauni gena
empty page

fauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's assesfauni gena kicks all y'all's asses
right, but why would anyone who actually loves music want to become this?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
a point where a person's musical knowledge becomes so absurdly broad they stop being music fans but rather music experts, or music historians?

ppl i know who tend to have an "absurdly broad" taste in music still have favorites, and i'm pretty sure they obsess over those favorites as much as anyone else does. it's just a difference in numbers of albums a person sifts through and how fast a person can come to appreciate a record

which isn't to say that ppl who listen to music slowly are any less of music fans-it's just a personal thing. but my point is that there shouldn't be a distinction in the first place
fauni gena is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2008, 01:28 AM   #17
demonrail666
invito al cielo

People should approach music in a way that enhances their enjoyment the most. If that involves going to libraries and wanting to find out everything about it, then fine. Equally, if that involves bouncing up and down on your bed while holding a tennis racquet, then that's fine too. Although, I've always found that the most interesting people are those that somehow try and combine the two. Adorno in one hand, Slazenger in the other.
Old 07.06.2008, 01:30 AM   #18
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
i really want to reply to this but im incapeable. when im sober this will be too long to read. |\
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2008, 03:19 AM   #19
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
i really want to reply to this but im incapeable. when im sober this will be too long to read. |\
Uhhhh...Not sure what that meant.

Anyway, I like learning about bands. Even bands I don't like. Music, for me, is a hobby, and at least knowing about the boring or unlikable parts of that hobby is of interest to me. I'm not sure why, but I just enjoy learning as much as I can about music in general.

That said, I'm definitely just a fan. I don't know that much about any specific type of music; I think I spread my interests out too much. I have a pretty good perspective of music as a whole, and can more-or-less see a cross-section of popular/nonpopular music and how it relates, but I don't know a whole lot of obscure bands. I wish I did, but it's just something I build over time.

I enjoy learning new bands, even if I don't like them, but I don't feel a driving need to. It's just fun.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2008, 03:36 AM   #20
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I'm a fan. But I'm also somewhat of an expert in my group of friends, school and family. This isn't because I know nearly everything, I just know so much more than everyone I know.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth