Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.01.2015, 11:23 AM   #19101
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
You should watch the whole thing to find out.

Kidding.

not kidding here, some day out of sheer masochism i just might. well not masochism but curiosity.

i ordered le weekend after being bored numb by pierrot le fou btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
But I've been poking around some Godard stuff online, and so many have gotten a lot out of even his most esoteric work, so there is the chance that he's simply too brilliant for my little mind.

or maybe he's just a preachy boring overthinker-- don't beat yourself up

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolloveRichard Brody from New Yorker says Godard's King Lear is "the greatest film of all time," so what the fuck do I know?

[URL="http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/godards-king-lear-at-twenty-five"
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/godards-king-lear-at-twenty-five[/url]
it's worse than that-- per the article, it's a SIGHT AND SOUND poll that declared it so. but i'm calling shenanigans.

well i'll have to actually watch it before i commit to this opinion. "yes, this caca actually tastes like caca." who knows...

i'd much rather watch RAN for the 50th time though....
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2015, 12:11 PM   #19103
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
king lear is great

im watching evangelion again from the beginning, which is even better.

did you fuckos know the evangelion manga just finished last year? you can get the 4 compendium volumes and the last two volumes on amazon for prob less than 40quid.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2015, 12:20 PM   #19104
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
evangelion is the one about teenage psychoanalysis via robots, yes?
Old 10.01.2015, 12:50 PM   #19105
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
anyway last night i finally watched the legendary HOOP DREAMS.

which was 3 hours long

and so before we started i said "eh, it's so long, we can watch it on installments"

but then we couldn't turn it off and ended staying up late!

it was really amazing and the time went flying by.

the criterion disc comes with the siskel/ebert reviews in the extras, which are worth a good look not just because how much they loved this movie (best of the year/best of the decade) but also because they really shook up the establishment re: documentary oscars.

Yeah, fantastic doc. Reminds me I should watch it again.

Quote:
yeah le mépris i really love as well, mostly for the great cinematography and fritz lang and let's admit it, brigitte bardot. oh, and jack palance as the ugly american! even though the ending is a bit facile, right? kinda like a kid's wishful-thinking revenge.

[ETA - rereading about this i had forgotten the whole ulysses/penelope/poseidon thing which is so very well done and why i loved that movie so much from the first time i saw it. just brilliant. a masterpiece.]

I can take or leave the Fritz Lang element, too much like Godard just name dropping. But yeah, it's his most unashamedly beautiful film, to the extent that he probably disowned it during his Maoist period.

Did you know he apparently wanted Kim Novak instead of BB? That would've been a masterstroke, not that I'm complaining about BB.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2015, 02:35 PM   #19106
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
evangelion is the one about teenage psychoanalysis via robots, yes?

it's also about fascist japans kamikaze psychology, postwar liberalism, an inverted buddhist narrative, a critique of christianity, cloning, automation, the loss of the self in post modernity and loads of psychosexual stuff.

and one of the best soundtracks ever.

get the original version with eng subs and watch the end of eva movie when it ends.

also fear the walking dead is getting pretty good atm.
Old 10.02.2015, 11:02 AM   #19107
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
it's also about fascist japans kamikaze psychology, postwar liberalism, an inverted buddhist narrative, a critique of christianity, cloning, automation, the loss of the self in post modernity and loads of psychosexual stuff.

and one of the best soundtracks ever.

get the original version with eng subs and watch the end of eva movie when it ends.

also fear the walking dead is getting pretty good atm.

i honestly wasn't too impressed with it. i get that it has good ideas throughout, but every episode seemed like a 10 minute recap, 10 minute actual episode, 10 minute preview of things to come, and generally was a bit childish. not bad, but ultimately for kids in a just-for-kids way. i.e. if i was 13 my mind would have been blown, but at 300 years old it's no surprise. maybe the manga is different.

my favorite was seeing the whole mythology of the thing as a sort of jungian/hessian magic theatre where he works out his depression. kinda like the second season of twin peaks where the hotel guy plays civil war with his toy soldiers, but here you get in and follow the toy battles.
Old 10.02.2015, 05:18 PM   #19108
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

i dont disagree but it all changes with the end of evangelion movie - it is so utterly different from the series its unreal. one of the best and most fucked up films of all time.
Old 10.02.2015, 05:19 PM   #19109
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

i think i have watched end of evangelion about 10 times in the past year and ive watched the nerv invasion scenes and the asuka final battle and shinji scream scenes about 400 times
Old 10.02.2015, 05:20 PM   #19110
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

i will go ahead and say that end of evangelion is for me either top film of all time or at least in the top 5.
Old 10.06.2015, 10:29 AM   #19111
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

CARRIE (1976) - A bit of a shit movie for my taste, with terrible music and cheesy effects, but some of the performances were great-- and whatever this did for Sissy Spacek's career, I think Piper Laurie takes the cake.
Old 10.06.2015, 02:36 PM   #19112
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
CARRIE (1976) - A bit of a shit movie for my taste, with terrible music and cheesy effects, but some of the performances were great-- and whatever this did for Sissy Spacek's career, I think Piper Laurie takes the cake.

I like it but can't disagree with any of your points. I suppose it's more important than great.
Old 10.06.2015, 02:40 PM   #19113
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
caught the Martian the other day, pretty good, a little long, but Damon is good in sci fi. nice visuals and a good story. I heard it was filmed in the Tunisian desert, which I never remember looking like that......
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2015, 03:21 PM   #19114
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I like it but can't disagree with any of your points. I suppose it's more important than great.

i watched a disc extra about the acting (various actors talk) and realized piper laurie directed herself better than depalma would.

my original post should have included a still of her, because she's just so great in it.

^^ you know depalma didn't want to film that little monologue but she insisted? also she insisted on calling the pink dress red as the screenplay originally stated instead of fixing it (wardrobe thought pink looked better on sissy). fucking genius lady!
Old 10.07.2015, 12:26 PM   #19115
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

NASHVILLE (Robert Altman 1976)

finally i was able to get my hands on this and it was worth the wait. classic altman! massive ensemble cast, camera going from one place to another and lots of things going on at the same time, hilarious characters doing some great improvisation, a kind of anthropological look at 'merica, all sort of narrative threads going on, plus one full hour of musical numbers (lol). i was not crazy about the musical numbers but they count a lot in a movie about country music and they do help build up the whole scene. really great stuff even if you hate country music (i do).
Old 10.08.2015, 10:57 PM   #19116
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
watched la notte tonight followed by l'eclisse
Old 10.08.2015, 11:28 PM   #19117
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

just finished watching MOOD INDIGO. which is a strange title for a movie which is frech i called (roughly translated) "the foam of days" . sure, duke ellington is all over the sountrack and imagery but no mood indigo is in the soundtrack.

anyway. what's with this. michel gondry is a very clever boy. he has the best toys. he and wes anderson should get together some day and play. because both of them are very imaginative little boys...

but mang this time (i watched the extended version, over 2 hours) gondry went overboard with the cleverness. holy fuck it takes maybe an hour for the actual story to kick into gear, the beginning is just more visual fireworks for the sake of visual fireworks.

had i not liked gondry i probably would have smashed the TV after 30 minutes, but because he's a very clever boy and has the best toys i endured, and i don't regret it-- in the end the story is beautiful and it works but holy fuck he makes you wait for it and has to show you *every fucking toy* he plays with before the story actually begins.

if you like gondry, definitely watch it. if you like boris vian, watch it too. otherwise stay the fuck away from this. i'll recommend it though, if you have the patience to fucking wait for the child to put his toys away and get on with the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
watched la notte tonight followed by l'eclisse

damn! the two in a row? i love both of those movies but that's MASSIVE endurance.
Old 10.09.2015, 12:05 AM   #19118
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
i was sorta half watching the latter if only because i had seen that one before (but not la notte)

if the science of sleep bored me (and i feel like i should have loved the movie given i like gondry and love the cast but meh) will that bore me?
Old 10.09.2015, 12:34 AM   #19119
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

dont know why you didn't like science of sleep-- was it the story? was it the special effects? i recall i liked it although the main male character was a bumbling jerk and the woman was cold etc. i think gondry maybe was unlucky with girls and that comes through ha ha (well he does say that in some commentary/extras).

if you can't stand the overreliance on trick shots, and choo-choo trains, and zizou-type picturesque shit, that sort of thing, mood indigo will bore you to tears.

but if you are willing to wait for the drama, when things begin to happen, i think the 2nd half of the movie is pretty great, sorta, and it's a good social satire also (mostly this is from boris vian, who was a late-surrealist of sorts, and a much more interesting person than gondry, def. worth a look).

i'm actually glad i saw it-- but not sure about your tastes. it has a good novel behind it though, so that should prop it up for you.
Old 10.09.2015, 03:27 AM   #19120
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, La notte and L'eclisse in a row might be a bit much. Independenly they're great but, together, that's a whole lot of angst. Maybe stick Uncle Buck, or something, between them.
856906946953954955 956 95795895996610061056 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth