Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Dinosaur Jr Album
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Favorite Dinosaur Jr Album?
Dinosaur 1 2.00%
You're Living All Over Me 35 70.00%
Bug 5 10.00%
Green Mind 2 4.00%
Where You Been? 4 8.00%
Without a Sound 1 2.00%
Hand it Over 0 0%
Beyond 2 4.00%
Farm 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11.03.2009, 02:37 PM   #21
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
BUG, 1988, here is the list of the "top" 25 songs of 1988. compare the fecund shitsmear that is this list with what Dinosaur was giving us in BUG.

1. "Need You Tonight," INXS
2. "Look Away," Chicago
3. "Roll With It," Steve Winwood
4. "Every Rose Has Its Thorn," Poison
5. "Got My Mind Set On You," George Harrison
6. "So Emotional," Whitney Houston
7. "Seasons Change," Expose
8. "Baby I Love Your Way/Freebird Medley," Will to Power
9. "Could've Been," Tiffany
10. "Never Gonna Give You Up," Rick Astley
11. "Sweet Child Of Mine," Guns 'n' Roses
12. "Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car," Billy Ocean
13. "The Flame," Cheap Trick
14."Giving You The Best That I Got," Anita Baker
15. "Waiting For A Star To Fall," Boy Meets Girl
16. "Hands To Heaven," Breathe
17. "How Can I Fall?" Breathe
18. "Anything For You," Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine
19. "Wishing Well," Terence Trent D'Arby
20. "Hungry Eyes," Eric Carmen
21. "Wild, Wild West," Escape Club
22. "Hold On To The Nights," Richard Marx
23. "Man In The Mirror," Michael Jackson
24. "Love Bites," Def Leppard
25. "Where Do Broken Hearts Go," Whitney Houston
Old 11.03.2009, 04:30 PM   #22
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I'll be grazing by your window
Please come pat me on the head
I just want to find out what you're nice to me for
When I look up don't think I don't know
About all the scabs you dread
It's hard to stomach the gore

I know you don't have the patience
To peel 'em off no more
In a jar where you fed me
All I could do was lick your hand
In a jar the scars are plain to see
I hope somehow you'll know I understand

I'll be grazing by your window
Please come pat me on the head
I just want to find out what you're nice to me for
Then you smile and decide to take me in
'Cause I look cute by your bed
But I can feel it just a little more

I'll watch you fall apart, babe you know it
You know I'm young and stuff, babe don't blow it
Just unscrew the top yeah
Pick me up now just can't stop

In a jar where you fed me
All I could do was lick your hand
In a jar where scars are plain to see
I hope somehow you'll know I understand
Scabs collect beneath your bureau
From the knife wounds you got
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2009, 04:33 PM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
LOVE Dinosaur jr.
Old 11.06.2009, 01:27 AM   #24
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Random things I love off of You're Living All Over Me:

- The opening drum and wah/phaser riff at the start of Little Furry Things, clearly one of the best openers ever on record.

- Later in LFT, after the bridge bit, where Lee and J start up the vocals again, J turns on all of his pedals, and it's just him singing softly against a backdrop of noise and static. Otherwordly.

- The whammy bar riff at around 30 seconds in The Lung.

- The breakdown in Kracked, which leads to that awesome bridge ("I plead the case, I need the space, don't let it wait").

- Lou's frantic yelling about suicide in Lose. The final verse gives me chills every time. ("Some times thinking right I can't believe I was chosen to exist, because they say that only Jesus Christ himself can slit his wrists, he says, and so I kill this need to always understand, cut the world until it fits on the back of your hand")

- The chorus of Raisans. So emotional and heartfelt, feels like the CD is about to explode when the solo comes in. Brings the song to a whole different level.

- The overdriven bass all over the record. LOVE that sound!

- The non-stop riffing and breaks of Sludgefeast. Just as it keeps getting heavier and heavier, it finally goes to the verse, which takes a complete overhaul as J sings softly over a bright, non-heavy riff. A quiet little lead comes after that, before J unleashes a fucking crazy solo.

- The into to Tarpit, and then when it breaks into that awesome verse about feeling trapped. The chorus always gets me, J sounds so honest when he sings.

- Where J again turns on every possible distortion pedal he has for the last verse of Tarpit

Perfect record. Favorite record of the 80s, easily.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2009, 02:34 PM   #25
2early4flapjacks
empty page

2early4flapjacks has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Great list of moments Jermemy.

It is one of those records with certains sounds that are just utterly arresting upon the first listen. A real wet-dream inducing find for a fan of noisy/pure guitar sounds. You're Living All Over me is also probably my favourite record of the 80s, which is saying something, as the 80s might be my favourite decade for music.

Other contenders would be 'Daydream Nation', 'Isn't Anything' by My Bloody Valentine, 'Atomizer' by Big Black and 'Bleach' by Nirvana (the best, and only underappreciated, Nirvana Record) and 'Psychocandy' by The Jesus And Mary Chain.

You're Living All Over Me would probably win by a nose, on the basis that it's one of the records i've listened to most in my life, and much of that time was within the first year after I'd heard it.

There aren't many records that I can genuinely say changed me, in fact I think the whole 'changed my life' cliche is far too often used, but YLAOM is certainly among the few, along with 'Astral Weeks' by Van Morrison, which incidentally is the greatest album of all time - though i'm aware this is a Dinosaur related thread, so i'll leave that there.
2early4flapjacks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2009, 02:45 PM   #26
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

There are , as Jeremy said, many moments on YR LIVING ALL OVER ME that make one's hair stand on end, that drive an electric rush of skronk delight up one's spine.
sludgefeasttttttt
Old 11.06.2009, 02:53 PM   #27
2early4flapjacks
empty page

2early4flapjacks has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
There are , as Jeremy said, many moments on YR LIVING ALL OVER ME that make one's hair stand on end, that drive an electric rush of skronk delight up one's spine.
sludgefeasttttttt

I like that you have an affinity for the word 'skronk'. I'm guessing it's onomatopoeic.
2early4flapjacks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2009, 03:03 PM   #28
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

it is my favorite sound.
it matches what I hear in my head regularly.

sometimes it gets hectic and rolls into SKREEE

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth