Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Let's Impeach the President...Why was this written??
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.28.2006, 12:27 AM   #21
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Marie
Im 16, and i really dont feel like getting involved in politics right now. All the pictures of conservative talk show hosts ive seen are these angry looking fat slobs with lots of stubble. Michael Moore looks like this too. Im thinking that maybe the more you start getting pissed over these things, you start getting fat and stop caring about personal hygeine. This is not what i want.

eh, as long as your parents foot the bill,i don't see why you'd care one way or another. you'll have time to become a fat slob when you start paying taxes
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2006, 04:18 AM   #22
Drugstore_Cowboy
little trouble girl

Drugstore_Cowboy ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Good one.
Thanks. I worked on it all night. Glad you are satisfied.
Drugstore_Cowboy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2006, 12:05 PM   #23
bucklebone
bad moon rising

bucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard sucka
Sometimes Neil writes songs on the spur of the moment. Trying to capture the passion that he feels versus mulling a song over...writing and rewriting until the feeling is captured. John Lennon did the samething in his "Sometime in New York City" album...and it was a complete failure.

Similarly, while I appreciate Neil's incredible talent and passion, these lyrics blow...plus half of them are demogogery (sp?) which don't even apply to the situation. Hopefully this one will fly under the radar screen and Neil can get back to some serious rockin'.

I HATE YOU
--Atari 2600
bucklebone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2006, 01:08 PM   #24
Tickerwelly
little trouble girl

Tickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's asses
I like the lyrics. Simple and direct. No pussy-footing around or hiding behind metaphors. Fuck subtle protest songs. They're for people too scared to have an opinion.
Old 04.28.2006, 01:14 PM   #25
bucklebone
bad moon rising

bucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard sucka
I completely disagree. Subtlety transcends time. Songs like this can stand maybe one listen and then they are old news. Masters of War can still be listened to and applied to today even though it was written 35? years ago. Blowin' in the Wind will be pertinent for a lifetime, and even Young's OHIO has a real relevance even today.

But, just as "Youth Against Facism" was a clunker because it was too topical and too 'in yer face', this one will follow. Only this one will land with a louder thud because of our expectations of Young as a protest song writer.

I HATE YOU
--Atari 2600
Old 04.28.2006, 01:25 PM   #26
Tickerwelly
little trouble girl

Tickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's asses
I guess it just depends on the person. It makes me think of Bright Eyes. I can't stand that guy at all and feel physically sick every time I see him but when I think of his "When The President Talks To God" song it makes me want to give him enough time to write out a will just before I strangle him. I guess I'm just a sucker for anti-Bush songs right now.
Old 04.28.2006, 01:29 PM   #27
bucklebone
bad moon rising

ha, funny one....

I HATE YOU
--Atari 2600
Old 04.28.2006, 01:35 PM   #28
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickerwelly
I guess I'm just a sucker for anti-Bush songs right now.

exactly the point, that is the point, it's for RIGHT NOW, not for "posterity" -- and 35 years from now we might all be living under a military theocracy so it won't matter.

ayayay... how hard is it to comprehend?
Old 04.28.2006, 01:47 PM   #29
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Politics aside, that song sucks a donkey nut.

Why, you ask? Because it's pointing out the obvious.

I like Neil Young, for the most part. However, that song seems an example of using your public profile as a vehicle for pushing your own personal agenda. One which, in this case, isn't especially extraordinary, and has already been addressed much more eloquently and effectively.

Basically, it comes across as "listen to my self-important opinion, because I'm like, famous 'n that."

He's not saying anything that hasn't been said; nor is he doing so especially creatively, which would at least somewhat (if minutely) redeem it. It's inflated, pompous, redundant, and frankly just unimaginative, to the point of bordering on the absurd.

I read that and think, Thanks Neil, for that erudite contribution. Now go support the environment and wipe your ass with that recycled lyric sheet.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2006, 02:07 PM   #30
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
Politics aside, that song sucks a donkey nut.

Why, you ask? Because it's pointing out the obvious.

I like Neil Young, for the most part. However, that song seems an example of using your public profile as a vehicle for pushing your own personal agenda. One which, in this case, isn't especially extraordinary, and has already been addressed much more eloquently and effectively.

Basically, it comes across as "listen to my self-important opinion, because I'm like, famous 'n that."

He's not saying anything that hasn't been said; nor is he doing so especially creatively, which would at least somewhat (if minutely) redeem it. It's inflated, pompous, redundant, and frankly just unimaginative, to the point of bordering on the absurd.

I read that and think, Thanks Neil, for that erudite contribution. Now go support the environment and wipe your ass with that recycled lyric sheet.

sure, ms. sappho, please regale us with your own non-recyclable version then
Old 04.28.2006, 05:39 PM   #31
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Hear from Mr. Young himself

in a
CNN interview on Showbiz Today from 4/18/06
http://beta.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5971A2B15084548A
lo-res .avi video 13.2 MB

I realize that the song "Let's Impeach the President" isn't as well written as many of Neil's songs, most notably the CSN&Y protest classic, "Ohio"* or After the Goldrush's pointed "Southern Man" . He is the author of some of rock's most compelling lyrics. Don't make me make a list. This is also the man, however, that wrote the abysmal song "Albuquerque" from his otherwise very great & very dark bare-bones Tonight's the Night album. As much as I love Neil, he does have a tendency to "git R done" when it comes to most of his song lyrics & his music lately. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot of brilliance right alongside the mediocrity though. Prairie Wind contains some incredible pieces that saw Neil harkening back to form. Living With War sounds more like one may expect a more recent Neil Young record to sound like. "The Restless Consumer" has a sweet short solo & "Shock & Awe" is a rather pleasingly congealed jam. "Families" has a sonic teaser outro but the drums & the "U.S.A." harmonies are grating. "Lookin' for A Leader" is lyrically very clever & muses about a woman or black president with a nod the the chance that God is a woman or black; the music is great. "Roger & Out" is a tasteful power ballad. All in all, the harmonies & the lyrics aren't his best, but Living With War is a good album, it's just (like Prairie Wind but much moreso) uneven. I'm sure the material live is expanded & incendiary Neil as always. The structures on the album aren't anything terribly new. But that's rock n' roll. Watch the interview. Neil gets around to speaking his mind pretty well by the time it's over.

shouldn't bucklebone have posted this topic in Non-Sonic Sounds?
oh, but that's right...with bucklebone (jfreimark) being a flamer & all, of course that's why it appeared in this section after the other topic about the impending Bush impeachment.
The story is slowly spidering out; strange how not a peep of this has been heard on the major news networks (oh wait...that's right, Bush/Cheney are in office, so it's not that strange after all...)
http://news.google.com/news?q=bush+impeachment&hl=en&lr=&rls=DVXA,DVXA:20 04-32,DVXA:en&sa=X&oi=news&ct=title

Be sure to catch Paul Greengrass' United 93 which premieres today in theaters. It's done in a stripped-down & appropriate mock-documentary style ike his exemplary 2002 film Bloody Sunday.

clockwise from top:
Sandra Scheuer, 20, killed by rifle fire at 130 yards
William Schroeder, 19, killed by rifle fire at 130 yards
Allison Krause, 19, killed by rifle fire at 110 yards
Jeffrey Miller, 20, killed by rifle fire at 90 yards
http://www.thrasherswheat.org/fot/ohio.htm
*Kent State University Kent, OH May 4, 1970
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2006, 05:42 PM   #32
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Thx once again Atari. Watching now.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2006, 01:24 AM   #33
Proud Marie
little trouble girl

Proud Marie ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklebone
I completely disagree. Subtlety transcends time. Songs like this can stand maybe one listen and then they are old news. Masters of War can still be listened to and applied to today even though it was written 35? years ago. Blowin' in the Wind will be pertinent for a lifetime, and even Young's OHIO has a real relevance even today.

But, just as "Youth Against Facism" was a clunker because it was too topical and too 'in yer face', this one will follow. Only this one will land with a louder thud because of our expectations of Young as a protest song writer.

Well said.

If this song had just been proposed as an ideal like anti-corrupt leaders in general, rather than a straight forward attack on one man, it would be much more powerful. 100 years now people could liken the ideas to the corrupt leaders of their own time, rather than saying "Who the fuck was Bush?"

Political songs are annoying for me, no matter what viewpoint they come from. They make me feel like the writter wants to make a decision for me. Writters who present their beliefs as a philosophy, that applies under a variety of circumstances are much better IMO. Not just "this is a bad/good war because"...
Proud Marie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2006, 02:59 PM   #34
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
"No Wonder" from Prairie Wind (2005)

See the bluebird fly easy as a dream
Dipping and bobbing in the sun
Could she be the one I saw so long ago
Could she be the one to take me home

This pasture is green
I'm walking in the sun
It's turning brown
I'm standing in the rain
My overcoat is worn
The pockets are all torn
I'm moving away from the pain

Tick-tock
The clock on the wall
No wonder we're losing time
Ring, ring
The old church bell
The bride and her love
Seeking guidance from above

Amber waves of grain blow in the prairie wind
I'm hearing Willie singing on the radio again
That song from 9/11 keeps ringing in my head
I'll always remember something Chris Rock said

Don't send no more candles
No matter what you do
Then Willie stopped singing
And the prairie wind blew
The green kept rolling on
For miles and miles
Fields of fuel rolling on for miles

Tick-tock
The clock on the wall
Toll, toll
The fallen soldier bell
The old church on the hill
Still standing when so many fell

Back when I was young, the birds blocked out the sun
Before the great migration south
We only shot a few
They last the winter through
Mother cooked them good and served them up

Somewhere a senator sits in a leather chair
Behind a big wooden desk
The caribou he killed mean nothing to him
He took his money just like all the rest

Tick-tock
The clock on the wall
Ring, ring
Ring the wedding bells
The bride takes the ring
And the happy people sing
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2006, 08:22 AM   #35
bucklebone
bad moon rising

That song is beautifully written with wonderful imagery. That's the kind of song we know and love Neil for.

Maybe he's a bit schizophrenic these days. Two faces of Neil Young??? No Wonder and Impeach the President look like they were written by two completely different people.

I HATE YOU
--Atari 2600
Old 05.01.2006, 08:55 AM   #36
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklebone
That song is beautifully written with wonderful imagery. That's the kind of song we know and love Neil for.

Maybe he's a bit schizophrenic these days. Two faces of Neil Young??? No Wonder and Impeach the President look like they were written by two completely different people.

hah! i dont think he's schizophrenic, i think you're just fucking dense
Old 05.01.2006, 01:41 PM   #37
bucklebone
bad moon rising

That's it. Now my feelings are hurt.

I HATE YOU
--Atari 2600

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth