Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Stupid comments about SY
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.17.2006, 05:27 PM   #21
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
Don't let them listen to your ipod. Their ears are not worthy! Hehe
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 05:48 PM   #22
Proud Marie
little trouble girl

Proud Marie ain't too shabby
Well, it doesnt really matter now, my ipod is broken, Im kinda pissed. i wont let them listen to my CD player. atleast I have 1 friend who likes SY
Proud Marie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 05:58 PM   #23
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
To confusion is sex: "Yeah, well, it doesn't really have the swing to it, does it? They're not really a jazz band. It could almost be bad free-jazz if they had a sax..."

(Somewhere, somehow, he'd got the impression that they were a jazz band)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 06:18 PM   #24
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Anything LailaV says about them.
Old 04.17.2006, 07:43 PM   #25
holy-reverb!!
children of satan

holy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of light
"Is something wrong w/ your record player?"

a comment made by friend after listening to a freezer burn.
holy-reverb!! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 07:49 PM   #26
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Marie
My friend Lewis: "There is a girl in their band! they cant be good!"

I've gotten that before...
Here's my favorite:

Some dude: Hey, what is your favorite band?
Me: Sonic Youth
Dude: Oh... I like the Black Eyed Peas!
Me: They suck.
Dude: They're better than Sonic The Hedgehog.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 07:51 PM   #27
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I pretty much think everyone makes stupid comments. Even this one.
Old 04.17.2006, 08:02 PM   #28
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
You wouldn't believe the number of people at my school who, to try and get on my "good side", pretend to like sonic youth (or any random thing that I enjoy) despite not knowing any of their songs.

One friend of mine had a pet squirrell once, and kept it in a cage inside her house. It would just screech and rattle its cage all day. She told me about this, and then said, "Come to think of it, it's sounds like a Sonic Youth song." I don't file this under "stupid comments about sonic youth" because she does enjoy them sometimes, and I have heard the squirrell and it is a justifiable comparison, depending on the song.

The summer before my sophomore year of high school, I went to my first SY concert. When school started, I was telling one of my friends about the concert in homeroom one day. She then made what has become my most hated comment of all time: "I think you're lying. If 'Sonic Youth' were a real band, I would have heard about them. I haven't heard of anything that you listen to, and I know you're making it all up." When I finally made a mix for her to listen to (to prove that Sonic Youth were not a fabrication of my mind), she said, "It's too repetitive. It's the same thing over and over and over again. The songs were too long." And I'm thinking, you know, as far as length goes, I didn't even put The Diamond Sea on there.....what the heck is she talking about....

Just today I was playing Sonic Youth in the car while taking my brother through the Taco Bell drive-thru when he told me that all of their songs sounded the same. He also does this thing where he likes to sing a Sinatra-style version of Kool Thing, which is just him singing his own lyrics "It's a Kool Thing, yeah yeah, a Kool Thing, yeah yeah" to a tune that is not present in the actual song, while snapping his fingers.

Another friend of mine (who has not already been mentioned) went to see the band with me that first time, and I could tell she didn't enjoy herself, and afterward she complained that there were too many noise breaks, etc. Nevertheless, she bought one of the shirts they were selling, and wears it all the time even though she doesn't actually like the band. She pretends to--either because she thinks it will make me like her more, or because she's figured out that no, I am not the only one who likes the band, and yes, some people do think they are "cool." She does this with the Stooges and the Clash t-shirts too. It's kind of repulsive.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 08:07 PM   #29
Pablitzen
the destroyed room

Pablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to behold
wow...there's lot of stories about stupid comments...i don't want to think that we have a "strange" music preference...
Pablitzen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 08:57 PM   #30
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Me: "Nice, what album are you getting next?"
Friend: "The new atreyu CD"
Me: *snickers a little*
Friend: "Well you have no right to say Atreyu is untalented if you think Thurston Moore is a genuis"

Me: "I really dislike people who say that noise music isn't even music and it's just feedback"
Girlfriend: "Well that's all it really is, just random feedback"
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 06:03 AM   #31
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
I've gotten that before...
Here's my favorite:

Some dude: Hey, what is your favorite band?
Me: Sonic Youth
Dude: Oh... I like the Black Eyed Peas!
Me: They suck.
Dude: They're better than Sonic The Hedgehog.

A more than fair comment I think. People are probably going to say something stupid if you say something that's insulting a band they like. And besides which BEP are fucking ace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 06:14 AM   #32
Sn@ke
bad moon rising

Sn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's asses
ahm...

"Jim O'rourke ruined Sonic Youth!"

Sn@ke

Sn@ke is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 06:19 AM   #33
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
someone on the old board posted an event that occured to him

(dude walks in elavator with a goo sticker on his helmet)
guy in the elavator- what's goo?
guy with helmet- it's a classic album by sonic youth
guy in elavator- oh never heard of them
guy with helmet- that's suprising, theyve been around forever
guy in elavator-then theyre not so youthful anymore eh?
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 06:51 AM   #34
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
some metal dude after listening to Murray St.
"Are they afraid of distortion pedals?"

my favourite quote
a dude after Black Dice gig
"haha...these guys don´t know how to plug in their amps
it just goes Beeeep all the time"
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 07:07 AM   #35
Radioactive Poltergeist
bad moon rising

Radioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's assesRadioactive Poltergeist kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
my favourite quote
a dude after Black Dice gig
"haha...these guys don´t know how to plug in their amps
it just goes Beeeep all the time"

This, sir, is pure gold.
Radioactive Poltergeist is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 07:09 AM   #36
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn@ke
ahm...

"Jim O'rourke ruined Sonic Youth!"

Word. Dumbest comment yet.
Old 04.18.2006, 09:36 AM   #37
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
My 7year old nephew once told me when I was listening to Washing Machine CD: "Hey, why is the music broken?"

Awesome line, "Broken music"...I will remember that.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 09:43 AM   #38
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
some metalhead guy : "they're not heavy enough..."

some one i forgot gladfully : "that guy (thurston) looks like beck.."
candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 09:52 AM   #39
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
my sister once (we were watching an interview with thurston)
"well, that thurston-guy, he´s pretty ugly, isn´t he"
that was funny
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 11:05 AM   #40
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
You wouldn't believe the number of people at my school who, to try and get on my "good side", pretend to like sonic youth (or any random thing that I enjoy) despite not knowing any of their songs.

One friend of mine had a pet squirrell once, and kept it in a cage inside her house. It would just screech and rattle its cage all day. She told me about this, and then said, "Come to think of it, it's sounds like a Sonic Youth song." I don't file this under "stupid comments about sonic youth" because she does enjoy them sometimes, and I have heard the squirrell and it is a justifiable comparison, depending on the song.

The summer before my sophomore year of high school, I went to my first SY concert. When school started, I was telling one of my friends about the concert in homeroom one day. She then made what has become my most hated comment of all time: "I think you're lying. If 'Sonic Youth' were a real band, I would have heard about them. I haven't heard of anything that you listen to, and I know you're making it all up." When I finally made a mix for her to listen to (to prove that Sonic Youth were not a fabrication of my mind), she said, "It's too repetitive. It's the same thing over and over and over again. The songs were too long." And I'm thinking, you know, as far as length goes, I didn't even put The Diamond Sea on there.....what the heck is she talking about....

Just today I was playing Sonic Youth in the car while taking my brother through the Taco Bell drive-thru when he told me that all of their songs sounded the same. He also does this thing where he likes to sing a Sinatra-style version of Kool Thing, which is just him singing his own lyrics "It's a Kool Thing, yeah yeah, a Kool Thing, yeah yeah" to a tune that is not present in the actual song, while snapping his fingers.

Another friend of mine (who has not already been mentioned) went to see the band with me that first time, and I could tell she didn't enjoy herself, and afterward she complained that there were too many noise breaks, etc. Nevertheless, she bought one of the shirts they were selling, and wears it all the time even though she doesn't actually like the band. She pretends to--either because she thinks it will make me like her more, or because she's figured out that no, I am not the only one who likes the band, and yes, some people do think they are "cool." She does this with the Stooges and the Clash t-shirts too. It's kind of repulsive.

Jeez, you got it bad.

I can honestly say I've never really had a stupid comment made to me about Sonic Youth. Sure their are people who say they suck etc. without actually having heard them. That pisses me off.

"Sonic Youth Suck"
"Do they? Name a song"
"I dont know any... they're always on MTV2"

Bloody hell have I been watching it at the wrong time.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth