Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page At The Drive-In
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.31.2006, 08:39 PM   #41
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I agree, At the Drive In were pretty great. Too bad they had to break up and start Mars Volta. They're still a good band, but it's lacking the creativity of At the Drive In. Unfortunate.
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2006, 08:39 PM   #42
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Also, one of the members recently died of a heroin overdose.
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 04:30 AM   #43
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
i really like the new mars volta song that was leaked

fyi: the guy who overdosed was the sound technician and jim wards cousin, not in the actual band
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 10:37 AM   #44
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircuitBent
The Mars volta is THE BEST band i have ever seen and i saw them about a year after sonic youth(my first real concert) and i've seen built to spill iron and wine, blond redhead, dinosaur jr., Interpol>(the worst band EVER in concert soooooooooo damn boring) BUT i never got to see ATDI

you should see slayer, after that, most bands will seem boring live.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 11:00 AM   #45
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Or one of the worst depending on some people's point of view.I saw The Mars volta live once and they were so dire i left 20 minutes into the gig.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 01:30 PM   #46
ozZuB-ginK
little trouble girl

ozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
One of the greatest bands EVER.

so you hate the new sy record, but you like this band? haha give me a break, at the drive in is total trash.
Old 07.05.2006, 02:05 PM   #47
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
primus live rules
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 07:35 PM   #48
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
At the Drive-In = GREAT
The Mars Volta = great
Sparta = great
Old 07.05.2006, 07:38 PM   #49
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Or one of the worst depending on some people's point of view.I saw The Mars volta live once and they were so dire i left 20 minutes into the gig.

I saw the Mars Volta live a few years ago and they were fantastic. Totally amazing. Only other band that may supersede them live is The (International) Noise Conspiracy. Both must see bands live.
Old 07.05.2006, 07:46 PM   #50
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Mars Volta and ATDI are both great bands in their own ways. Sparta sucks though, Cedric and Omar made ATDI. "Televators" is one of the best songs to come out by a newer band in a long time.
Old 07.05.2006, 07:51 PM   #51
Norma J
invito al cielo

Jim made up a big chunk of At the Drive-In. He wrote alot of the music, without Jim, you wouldn't have had that band... well wouldn't have sounded anything like they did/do. He also made them listenable live, he was the guitarist actually playing, keeping things together, aswell as backing vocals. And not to mention Tony's drumming style is quite distinctive.
Old 07.05.2006, 07:53 PM   #52
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
i dont like at the drive in, terrible band name...
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 08:18 PM   #53
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFME1...the%20drive-in

Watch this. Cedric tells the crowd what's up.

HAHA. That was awesome. That was from the Sydney Big Day Out. The crowd kept at it after Cedric and Jim telling them quite a few times to stop crowd surfing and slam dancing. They ended up walking off 15 minutes or so into the set, not to return, because of it.
Old 07.05.2006, 08:22 PM   #54
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozZuB-ginK
so you hate the new sy record, but you like this band? haha give me a break, at the drive in is total trash.

You like the Melvins. Your taste is void.
Old 07.05.2006, 10:01 PM   #55
sandwich mulroney
little trouble girl

sandwich mulroney is a splendid one to beholdsandwich mulroney is a splendid one to beholdsandwich mulroney is a splendid one to beholdsandwich mulroney is a splendid one to beholdsandwich mulroney is a splendid one to beholdsandwich mulroney is a splendid one to beholdsandwich mulroney is a splendid one to behold
I feel like there should have been an album between the first MV and the last ADTI albums... they were cresting towards something really good on Relationship and starting to backlside on Deloused, but neither ever released an album without some heavy degree of filler/crap on it.
sandwich mulroney is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 10:13 PM   #56
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
I don't really care for them, based on what I've heard...or Mars Volta, either.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 10:25 PM   #57
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
They ended up walking off 15 minutes or so into the set, not to return, because of it.

its funny how certain bands get credit for walking off early on sets and then other bands get critisized...
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 01:40 AM   #58
Norma J
invito al cielo

Well I give them credit for it - they stood up for what they believed was right. So they wouldn't have gotten paid for that show, and they were just starting to get a good name for themselves, with the media here claiming that Relationship of Command was at that time the most important album since Nevermind by Nirvana. So to walk off that short into their set, was not a very good career plan. But they still did it, and I think thats cool.
And they did get abit of shit for walking off, then the next year at the same festival a young girl got crushed to death in the pit from a crowd surge. After that, everyoen praised them for taking a strong stance on crowd behavior.
Old 07.06.2006, 08:22 AM   #59
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Mars Volta are better that ATDI, whoever said ATDI was a shite name of a band hit the nail on the head also...

ahh fuck it, i could take or leave either band.

'cept Mars Volta.
Old 07.06.2006, 08:28 AM   #60
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFME1...the%20drive-in

Watch this. Cedric tells the crowd what's up.

i watched this, turns out Cedric is a little bit of a diva. "You're all sheep, i think its a sad day when people have to express themselves thru slamdancing"

these are the same people who paid to see you play/were bothered enough to get themselves to that little tent where you are playing and TRY enjoy your preformance...... these people are sheep in the eyes of mighty Cedric..

whatever i thought of them before, i think a whole lot less now.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth