Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.01.2009, 04:20 PM   #141
Kyohan
bad moon rising

Kyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
What difference does it make between 128 and 320? Next to nothing,

Again. I'm not really complaining about the stream; I understand that Matador have their reasons for making it 128kbps and I'm sure they know their business better than I do. On the other hand, arguments like this shouldn't go by without comment.
There is a whole world of difference between 128 and 320 - yes, its all digitally compressed and subject to the limitations of MP3 encoding, but if you think there's no difference in those bitrates, you really aren't listening carefully.
At 128 their is no colour in the sound whatsoever - anything outside of the midrange will be heavily clipped and most of the dynamics in the sound are gone.
A well-encoded 320kbps MP3 will be very close to CD quality on all but the very highest end audio reproduction equipment.
If you're cool with the stream being 128 kbps, great but let's keep the facts straight.
Kyohan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2009, 04:28 PM   #142
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Know the difference between PREVIEW and RELEASE?
This is perefctly listenable as a preview.
i stand by the fact that the whole "my bitrate is bigger than yours" is silly as fuck. And the people on here complaining are douchebags.
YOU for one don't want to teach me ANYTHING about LISTENING.
Because you just don't.
Right?
Old 05.01.2009, 04:32 PM   #143
Kyohan
bad moon rising

Kyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i stand by the fact that the whole "my bitrate is bigger than yours" is silly as fuck. And the people on here complaining are douchebags.
YOU for one don't want to teach me ANYTHING about LISTENING.
Because you just don't.
Right?

I do know the difference, which is why I said I'm not complaining about the preview.
Am I supposed to be intimidated because you're typing in capitals?
I have no wish to teach you anything, but there's a discussion going on about sound quality with some totally incorrect statements being thrown out.
Kyohan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2009, 04:38 PM   #144
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyohan
there's a discussion going on about sound quality.

not really. this is more a discussion about rampant self-entitlement.

I sure that just about everyone gets that 320 > 128.

what's not being understood is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedex
the difference between PREVIEW and RELEASE

and....don't mind geedex's caps. he's not shouting so much as pounding the keys really hard.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2009, 04:41 PM   #145
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyohan
I do know the difference, which is why I said I'm not complaining about the preview.
Am I supposed to be intimidated because you're typing in capitals?
I have no wish to teach you anything, but there's a discussion going on about sound quality with some totally incorrect statements being thrown out.

no i type the key words in capitals.
there is no discussion going on here at all. It's just some douchebag shitting on something that's already awesome that makes me go all red.
Objectively, and considering that 99% of the people streaming do so on a computer through a shitty to decent plus sound system. 128 or 320 doesn't mean SHIT (keyword).
+ so many people are streaming at the same time. a 320bitrate would cause the whole streaming system to collapse most of the time.

You people complaining (and it doesn't necessarily means you, i see yr point) are spoiled to death. The bitrate makes no difference to the actual sampling of the songs. Being careful to details and high/low end whatever will happen on CD/wax on a decent system.
Old 05.01.2009, 07:17 PM   #146
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Know the difference between what is listenable and not.

Funny how 128k/bit was NOT good enough when they released the single of "Sacred Trickster" but it was good enough for PAYING CUSTOMERS.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2009, 07:33 PM   #147
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei
Well, i grew up with a shity chinese copy of NES called TERMINATOR. And those times are far behind for me, but if you want to go back to NES please convert all your CDs to 8-bit, why should i care?
I haven't said i have golden ears, but if you brain can't process more than 128 Kb/s, it's not my problem... You don't have to be a "pretentious audiophile twat" to notice the difference.

Anyway, I haven't asked for your input on this subject. As i don't post in threads i don't give a fuck about, i expect you to do the same.
BYE

PS: Wanna trade some Cartridges?

My comments were made largely because I felt like being an internet dick. In reality, I understand your disappointment with the bit rate but otherwise think you're taking it too far. Matador hasn't cheated us, they've given us a lot for only slightly more money and I'm quite happy with everything they've offered. Also, as others have said, this is a preview, not an actual release (although the stream has been ripped and 'released' onto the internet.) Personally, I'm enjoying it as it is now and I'm sure I'll appreciate the songs with new fervor when I hear them at CD quality on June 9th, putting a fresh spin on the album for me.

THAT SAID, please allow me to continue in line with my original intent:

I've actually already converted the Eternal to midi files, AND IT SOUNDS WAY BETTER. The rhythm really kicks and the melodies are pure.

And you did so say you had golden ears:

Quote:
I have precious dainty ears made of gold and how dare Matador not treat each of my blessed ears as a prince in their own right, entitled to only the best and sovereign to all sound!

Just call them 'listening holes' like the rest of us 'blue collar slobs'...
Quote:
Fah! I tire of you blue collar slobs!
...and maybe we'll let you sit in on our card games.

And even though you didn't ask for my input (YER HIGHNESS), I will dish it out liberally. I'm also not a fan of your username. And Yahoo Messenger (your messenger of choice) is an inferior messenger program.

And why are your cartridges yellow? Oh, right. Chinese.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2009, 09:14 PM   #148
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I think the whole Buy Early package is good value. SY always give good value for their original music...

Not like The Eagles
Old 05.02.2009, 07:46 PM   #149
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Well... I had to download the 192k version on the internet even though I purchased an advanced stream.

SOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER. Night and day.

Thanks for nothing matador.
Old 05.02.2009, 07:48 PM   #150
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Cool, you should post a link! You'll get banned but wouldn't it be worth it.. to go down in a blaze of glory and negative-reptivity?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2009, 09:59 PM   #151
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Cool, you should post a link! You'll get banned but wouldn't it be worth it.. to go down in a blaze of glory and negative-reptivity?

Anyone under 40 should be able to find it pretty easily with a simple google search.

keywords like "sonic youth + the eternal + 192" should work nicely.

BEGN can suck a cock.
Old 05.02.2009, 10:00 PM   #152
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
No man, we all know how to find it, I just think it'd be a perfect ending to this thread. If you posted a link yourself. Heh... heh... heeeeeeeeh.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2009, 10:10 PM   #153
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
No man, we all know how to find it, I just think it'd be a perfect ending to this thread. If you posted a link yourself. Heh... heh... heeeeeeeeh.

no problem.

here is a link to the eternal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT8rTZhtgAI

probably better quality than those schmucks at Matador care to offer their PAYING CUSTOMERS.

Don't listen my ass.
Old 05.03.2009, 05:49 AM   #154
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
really guys..this is fucking stupid....
Old 05.03.2009, 05:54 AM   #155
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
GROUNDBREAKING NEWS

hevusa has just been elected "douchebag of the year"!
Congratulations hevusa!!
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2009, 11:15 AM   #156
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikangod
My comments were made largely because I felt like being an internet dick. In reality, I understand your disappointment with the bit rate but otherwise think you're taking it too far. Matador hasn't cheated us, they've given us a lot for only slightly more money and I'm quite happy with everything they've offered. Also, as others have said, this is a preview, not an actual release (although the stream has been ripped and 'released' onto the internet.) Personally, I'm enjoying it as it is now and I'm sure I'll appreciate the songs with new fervor when I hear them at CD quality on June 9th, putting a fresh spin on the album for me.

THAT SAID, please allow me to continue in line with my original intent:

I've actually already converted the Eternal to midi files, AND IT SOUNDS WAY BETTER. The rhythm really kicks and the melodies are pure.

And you did so say you had golden ears:

Just call them 'listening holes' like the rest of us 'blue collar slobs'...
...and maybe we'll let you sit in on our card games.

And even though you didn't ask for my input (YER HIGHNESS), I will dish it out liberally. I'm also not a fan of your username. And Yahoo Messenger (your messenger of choice) is an inferior messenger program.

And why are your cartridges yellow? Oh, right. Chinese.

Well, that quoting thing it is not very fair-play...

THAT SAID,
bye
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2009, 12:52 PM   #157
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
GROUNDBREAKING NEWS

Sorry SYRFox.... that is actually old news. Old on the level that 128k/bit is to 2009.
Old 05.03.2009, 01:49 PM   #158
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
Sorry SYRFox.... that is actually old news. Old on the level that 128k/bit is to 2009.
I think I'm getting it now
You're actually joking since the beginning of it all
Am I right?
Old 05.03.2009, 02:05 PM   #159
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
I think I'm getting it now
You're actually joking since the beginning of it all
Am I right?

Why would you take the eternal sounding like low bit rate garbage as a joke?? I certainly don't.

I finally had to download a 192 version to stop the bleeding from my ears. Now I hear guitar details that I couldn't before and it is actually an enjoyable listening experience. Still not CD quality by any means but at least the mids aren't destroyed along with the rest of the frequencies.

I'm still shocked that people making executive decisions could consider 128k/bit acceptable for a stream preview sent out to their most die hard fans, especially in the year 2009 when I can already find 192 and above online.

Good job understanding the new digital market Matador! Keep up the cutting edge work!
Old 05.03.2009, 02:08 PM   #160
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
Why would you take the eternal sounding like low bit rate garbage as a joke?? I certainly don't.
Hilarious.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth