Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Setlist Poll
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Your preferred balance of new vs. old songs when SY tours behind a new record
All or most of the new record, filling the rest of the set with old stuff 29 42.03%
50/50 mix of new and old 23 33.33%
Mostly old material, with a few of the new songs 9 13.04%
Equal distribution of songs from their entire catalog 8 11.59%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07.03.2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
There seems to be much debate as to what fans expect from a Sonic Youth setlist. My hope is that the band always plays whatever they want to play, but I'm still curious as to what the fans think.

The question is this: When Sonic Youth tours after releasing a new record, what is your preferred mix of new material vs. old? This does not count shows or tours during "off years," when they haven't released a new record.
Old 07.03.2009, 07:38 PM   #2
jerf
children of satan

jerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's asses
ive always wanted to catch a tour on "off years" when a band isnt promoting an album. always curious to see what they would choose to play if they werent obligated (so to speak) with a new album.
jerf is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Newfoundland
bad moon rising

Newfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's asses
I want them to play what they want, but less "hits".
Newfoundland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Man, tough poll for me. Like most have said, it's great to see a band out enjoying themselves with the new material they have. But I did catch one show of theirs during kind of an "off years" tour, and it still has been one of the best SY shows of my life (around the equipment theft).

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/cc/070899.html

The setlist was right up my alley. And as much as I hated their misfortune, as a fan, it was a total blast seeing a band forced to familiarize themselves with new equipment. Just something new and unique...

As far as setlists goes, I just remember constantly saying "Oh wow, they are playing THIS?!?!?" time after time during that show. Constantly overjoyed and blown away. More-so than I have during any album tour.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
One thing to keep in mind about this poll: The respondents are all members of this board who, on average, are the more devoted of SY's fans. There are probably not as many "casual" fans reading this.
Old 07.03.2009, 11:58 PM   #6
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
I really respect SY for playing so much new material. It shows that they are not afraid to move forward as a band. That being said, it's nice to hear some of their older stuff. Especially the tunes that I would have never expected to hear them play.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2009, 12:27 AM   #7
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
i like how they're doin' it nowadays. most of the new record, a couple "hits," and a few other miscellaneous, great songs. yeah.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2009, 09:40 AM   #8
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
I would like it more if they did their sets more like the one they did last night in NY. I love that they're playing nearly all or all of The Eternal, but I don't like hearing too many songs from the same album in a row, unless of course it's one of those shows where they announce they're playing the entire thing front-to-back. I mean, when I saw Radiohead, they played 9/10 of In Rainbows, which was great, but they also threw a lot of older stuff in between. I like that kind of old/new diversity in setlists.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2009, 10:21 AM   #9
jnic
little trouble girl

jnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's assesjnic kicks all y'all's asses
I thought last night's show here in nyc was one of the best in years. The Eternal sounds GREAT live, some nice jamming, Poison Arrow was sick, and I loved hear Catholic Block and PCH.

Hopefully someone will post a recording of the show......Thx SY!
jnic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 07:39 PM   #10
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
I would die if they played catholic block, going to the Portland show tomorrow cause I got connects and I haven't heard The Eternal yet, actually didn't even know they had a knew record till a little while ago, hoping it wont disappoint
Old 07.27.2009, 10:21 PM   #11
Leetdude
little trouble girl

Leetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's asses
I voted 50/50, but I'm incredibly glad they played just about the entirety of The Eternal when I saw them. But then, The Eternal is also one of my favorite SY records already. So, when they have a great album, play the whole thing; when they have an "eh" album, play more classics.
Leetdude is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 10:42 PM   #12
matt reeder
little trouble girl

matt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden child
I would die if they played catholic block, going to the Portland show tomorrow cause I got connects and I haven't heard The Eternal yet, actually didn't even know they had a knew record till a little while ago, hoping it wont disappoint

They've played "Catholic Block" all three times I've seen them stretching back to 2003. Something tells me we're going to hear it tomorrow night too.

I'd prefer 50/50 new stuff and old stuff. There's such a thing as overdoing a new album and I think sometimes SY does that, no matter how great it is to hear the new stuff and see them enjoying themselves. It was perfect back during the Murray Street days since the new album only had 7 songs-ie, tons of room for old stuff.

This was my favorite of my shows and I think it's pretty much perfect: http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/cc/081503.html
matt reeder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 01:18 AM   #13
satirejohn
bad moon rising

satirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's asses
The most important thing is just that they keep a good rotation going. I would hate seeing "brand new album plus Kool Thing, 100%, Teenage Riot and Bull in the Heather" everytime... As long as they keep taking up surprising older songs, I don't mind that they only play about 5 of them for every gig...
satirejohn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 03:13 PM   #14
Leetdude
little trouble girl

Leetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's assesLeetdude kicks all y'all's asses
I agree with satire as well. Seeing Stereo Sanctity, Hey Joni and DV69 live was just great this tour, and I'd love to see more varied tracks like that in the future, especially if they pull them from all their records.
Leetdude is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2009, 03:42 PM   #15
satirejohn
bad moon rising

satirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's asses
I guess another solution could be to just play longer shows... If they played around 2,5 hours they could easily play the entirety of whatever was new at the time, and around 10-12 older songs. That would make it possible to play more stuff from a wider spectrum of their career. As it is now they're basically only playing new and really old stuff (which is alright by me, in a way, since my favourite period is CIS->DDN - but I'd love to hear, say, The Ineffable Me and Radical Adults as well!) plus hits. It would mean that they'd have to rehearse alot more songs though, especially if they'd want to keep the setlists changing (which they should).
Some bands do it though. On the last REM tour they must have played over a hundred different songs...

That said, I'm totally satisfied with how the sets are looking for this tour. The thought of seeing The Eternal plus gems like Stereo Sanctity, Death Valley 69 and Shadow of a Doubt is really exciting! Hope that's what we'll get at ATP!
satirejohn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth