Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Favorite Pop Song(s)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.04.2008, 09:08 AM   #61
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Oh, and I love old (and that doesn't include the '80s shit) Dolly Parton, especially "Here You Come Again".

I get slightly annoyed by this sort of sentiment. Her 80s stuff is patchy. Johnny Cash (who is venerated as some sort of God-head amongst rock converts to country) did about 5 years of good stuff in the 60s, and 5 good records in the 90s. The overwhelming majority of the remainder is utter, utter bilge. Dolly isn't quite venerated to the same degree in the same circles, in spite of having done less turd.

What an insipid post. Well done Glice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2008, 09:14 AM   #62
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Girls Aloud "Speak French", in spite of the lyrics being a truimph of whatthefucktheytalkinabaht-ness. Still, who pays attention the wordsmithery of pop? It's all about the "grain" of the voice, innit?
Old 05.04.2008, 02:40 PM   #63
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I get slightly annoyed by this sort of sentiment. Her 80s stuff is patchy. Johnny Cash (who is venerated as some sort of God-head amongst rock converts to country) did about 5 years of good stuff in the 60s, and 5 good records in the 90s. The overwhelming majority of the remainder is utter, utter bilge. Dolly isn't quite venerated to the same degree in the same circles, in spite of having done less turd.

What an insipid post. Well done Glice.

I'm not sure where you're coming from, but then neither were you apparently. I never said anything about Johnny Cash. I just didn't want my love of Dolly's classic early singles to be confused with the "Theme from the Body Guard" and "Islands in the Stream" which for many of the youngsters on this board is exactly what they think of as Dolly's early days.

When it comes to absolutely awful pop power ballads, Cash never went there (since you inserted this dodgy comparison), while Dolly paid all of the plastic surgery bills for decades. However, I wasn't trying to post about her shit to begin with, but to celebrate her awesome songs like "Here You Come Again" and "Coat of Many Colors".
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2008, 04:28 PM   #64
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I dunno what's happening pop-wise at the moment. I'm sure Girls Aloud are currently concocting some monolithic slice of sonic wonderment in their sequinned castle right now, so I guess I'll just wait for that. Until then, i suppose I'll just hang around to see if Mick Ronson has decided to choke on his own faeces yet. One has to live in hope, doesn't one.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2008, 01:38 AM   #65
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Until then, i suppose I'll just hang around to see if Mick Ronson has decided to choke on his own faeces yet. One has to live in hope, doesn't one.

Uh, surely you mean Mark Ronson? Mick Ronson is sadly no longer with us, and as we all know, one note from his Les Paul sounds way better than Mark Ronson's Jive Bunny updates.
Old 05.05.2008, 07:06 AM   #66
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I'm not sure where you're coming from, but then neither were you apparently. I never said anything about Johnny Cash. I just didn't want my love of Dolly's classic early singles to be confused with the "Theme from the Body Guard" and "Islands in the Stream" which for many of the youngsters on this board is exactly what they think of as Dolly's early days.

When it comes to absolutely awful pop power ballads, Cash never went there (since you inserted this dodgy comparison), while Dolly paid all of the plastic surgery bills for decades. However, I wasn't trying to post about her shit to begin with, but to celebrate her awesome songs like "Here You Come Again" and "Coat of Many Colors".

Yeah, I was just talking cack, in fairness. Dolly has done some good stuff in the 80s, but there's a fair amount of cack in there.

If you think Cash never did pop power-ballads, you really should hear some of the stuff he put out in the 80s. He's done some of the shittest music I've ever heard.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 05.05.2008, 05:51 PM   #67
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
estelle - american boy
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2008, 07:23 PM   #68
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
that first jennifer lopez single

edit: this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK0DjYE-GVA
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2008, 11:42 AM   #69
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
estelle - american boy

Yes.

Quote:
Old 05.07.2008, 11:55 PM   #71
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I almost forgot this one, it used to be my all time favourite song:
The La's - There She Goes
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 06:19 AM   #72
Destroyed
bad moon rising

Destroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's asses
Also:

The Ronettes - Be My Baby
The Shangri Las - Leader of the Pack & Remember Walkin' In the sand
T. Rex - The Whole "Electric Warrior" album
Donna Summer - I Feel Love (though more a disco song)
Nancy Sinatra - Some Velvet Morning & Up Up and Away, Oh Lonesome Me, These Boots Are Made for Walkin'
Soft Cell - Tainted Love & Bedsitter
Talk Talk- Such a Shame & Talk Talk
Destroyed is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 06:27 AM   #73
sarramkrop

Joyce Sims - Come Into My Life
Eve - You Aint Getting None

There are so many of them. Today I'm really in the mood for those two, though.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 06:52 AM   #74
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ✌➬

edit- Oh yeah I agree with Sunday Bloody Sunday.
as much as i despise bono and his cohorts and everything they stand for, i do enjoy the song i will follow. the one on the whistle test from back in the day.

60s pop rules:
the zombies - she's not there & time of the season
lee hazlewood + nancy sinatra - some velvet morning
nancy sinatra - these boots are made for walkin
and like girl group stuff from the early 60s

most of what blondie did qualifies as pop
lots of disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
I almost forgot this one, it used to be my all time favourite song:
The La's - There She Goes
oh yeah i like that one a lot
funny that they're using it in a birth control commercial i think
cause it's like about heroin
Old 05.21.2008, 07:38 AM   #75
Destroyed
bad moon rising

Destroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's asses
"Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve is also a great pop song
Destroyed is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 07:45 AM   #76
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
There's plenty of stuff by The Stone Roses - She Bangs The Drums, Waterfall.
Also:
Suede - Animal Nitrate
Pavement - Summer Babe
A lot of stuff by The Clean - Tally Ho, Anything Could Happen, Beatnik, Getting Older
The Chills - Pink Frost
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 07:47 AM   #77
sarramkrop

Some more random ones:

Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine - Dr. Beat
5 Star - Crazy
The Byrds - All I Really Want To Do
Madonna - Burning Up
Erasure - Sometimes
Alexander O' Neal - If You Were Here Tonight
Janet Jackson - When I Think Of You
Nick Kershaw - The Riddle
Pet Shop Boys & Dusty Springfield - What Have I done To Deserve This?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 08:20 AM   #78
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyed
yes it is.
Old 05.21.2008, 08:20 AM   #79
sarramkrop

Pookie reminded me on another thread of a little gem by Pet Shop Boys called ''The Truck-Driver and His Mate''. Such a cool song.

Parked inside the lay-by
their destination can wait
dancing in the moonlight
the truck-driver and his mate

Acting out of compulsion
after hours sitting in the van
taking coals to Newcastle
talking man to man

Loyal to the point of madness
solemn as an act of fate
dancing in the moonlight
the truck-driver and his mate
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 11:07 AM   #80
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyed

Another vote for this song. It is just brilliant.
✌➬ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth