Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Copy Control - help...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.31.2007, 06:45 PM   #1
Jt
children of satan

Jt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard sucka
As you Americans do indeed say, "So I got last year's Liars record today..."

The PROBLEM is this copy protection supposedly needs me to get a LICENCE before I can rip my OWN CD on to my OWN iPod!

YES I'm eating humble pie after that CD v vinyl thread. Shut up.

Now, how do I rip this to iTunes? I am a loser and can't figure it out...
Old 03.31.2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Jt
children of satan

Jt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard sucka
C'mon y'wankers. This is vital.
Old 03.31.2007, 07:43 PM   #3
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
rip using iTunes?

put the CD in, when it appears in the columns to the left, click on it.

if you are using a newer version of iTunes the "import cd" button will be on the bottom right.

SHAZAAAAM!
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2007, 08:11 PM   #4
Jt
children of satan

Alright, I'm not *that* much of a luddite. It doesn't appear in the sources list. I've ripped several CDs tonight but this one just won't show up. Arrrgh... Any ideas? Anyone? SOMEONE bought Drum's Not Dead on this board, surely?
Old 03.31.2007, 08:24 PM   #5
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
try using winamp or something else to encode to mp3 then.

iPods will play mp3 as well as the iTunes mp4.

sounds easier than whatever it is that's causing your problem.

if rebooting your comp didn't fix the problem, iTunes just must not like it.

and sorry you SAID "how do I rip this?", you didn't say it just wasn't showing up.
Old 03.31.2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Jt
children of satan

Yeah I understand that could have been misleading. Rep. Given. Etc.

I might try another ripper. iTunes obviously isn't as robust as I thought.
Old 04.01.2007, 06:54 AM   #7
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Are you sure it's copy controlled? Does it have this logo on it?

I don't see my copy laying around at the moment, but I don't think it's copy protected. I'm not in the US though, so it could be different, but I thought that technology was pretty much abandoned everywhere before Drum's not Dead came out.

Anyway, the easiest would just be to download it I guess. Or else google comes up with this:
http://www.dsg.cs.tcd.ie/~haahrm/copying-protected-cds/
(but that's not useful if you're on a Mac)
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 11:39 AM   #8
Jt
children of satan

It has that EXACT logo on the back, I'm afraid. If I download it'll be shnidey 128kb dog shit.

I'm still investigating how to sort this. Thanks for the link.

EDIT: I've tried that piece of software and Audiograbber...

They rip the audio tracks off the CD but they constantly stutter and jerk - it's weird. The music isn't continuous at all, it just sounds totally cut up. Jesus, this CD must be one of the last to have included this protection but it's a total bitch.
Old 04.01.2007, 04:37 PM   #9
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt
They rip the audio tracks off the CD but they constantly stutter and jerk - it's weird. The music isn't continuous at all, it just sounds totally cut up. Jesus, this CD must be one of the last to have included this protection but it's a total bitch.

that could be your drive having problems with overwrite. try getting into the options and slow the rip down if you can.

best thing would be to just use the software that came with your computer / drive and rip the files to .wav. after that, converting them to mp3 is a lot smoother. that way, the encoding software doesn't have to work with whatever speed your drive is putting out.
Old 04.01.2007, 08:57 PM   #10
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
my favorite piece of software for ripping CDs is EAC.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

german geeks have to be some of the finest people on this planet. i'm sure they smell terribly, but between this, adaware, and nero, they have done much for my happiness and well-being.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2007, 05:35 AM   #11
Jt
children of satan

Intriguing; thanks, I'll investigate post-haste.

And floating? I ripped them to wave files no problem. It was just when I played them that they were sounding like "shards" of music. I'll try this EAC stuff and get back.
Old 04.02.2007, 10:16 AM   #12
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
if all else fails rip in real time from your cd player to your computer
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2007, 10:35 AM   #13
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt
It has that EXACT logo on the back, I'm afraid. If I download it'll be shnidey 128kb dog shit.

I'm still investigating how to sort this. Thanks for the link.

Well I just checked my own copy and mine's not copy controled... so if you tell me a bitrate you prefer then I can just rip it, convert it to mp3 and send you a link to download. I usually use the VBR V0 or VBR V2 settings for mp3 (see link below).

I use EAC too. Take note that configuring EAC in order for it to work properly takes quite some time, but is necessary if you want to be 100% sure about accurate results. But once you've done that then it's way better than just about any ohter ripping software.

There's a really useful tutorial for that here:
http://users.pandora.be/satcp/eac-qs-en.htm
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2007, 12:15 PM   #14
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
if all else fails rip in real time from your cd player to your computer

that should fix the problem. it will take forever...but you shouldn't have clipping issues.

Jt, it really sounds like the problem is your drive and not the software.

the slower you rip, the less likely it is that this will happen.
Old 04.02.2007, 09:36 PM   #15
Jt
children of satan

Holy... mother... of Christ.

EAC is THE business. It did take a while to figure out but it wound up working flawlessly. I'd tried three others before-hand to no avail.

MUCH obliged !@#$%! - duly rep'd. I tried to do the honours for you too pokkeherrie but apparently I've kissed your ass too recently.

I've ripped in real-time as a last resort before and thanks for the suggestion floating but it seems the situation is under control. Now to actually listen to this fucker... I've heard good things...
Old 04.02.2007, 09:42 PM   #16
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
"So there's this program that I learned about a few weeks back called EAC"
Old 04.02.2007, 09:47 PM   #17
Jt
children of satan

Lol, poll forthcoming. Or something.
Old 04.03.2007, 12:38 PM   #18
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
oh, i saw that, excellent.

so now about compressing your cd into more portable formats:

shn - lossless compression, preserves audio quality
flac - same thing
razor lame - make mp3's

i don't know about ogg files, but some people swear by them. however, any cd player these days will play mp3.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2007, 12:55 PM   #19
Jt
children of satan

Ahhh I set up the LAME encoder, although I just used bog-standard 3.97b. The rest of my collection is ripped to VBR 320kb/s MP3. Lossy, yeah, but I don't have a spare 500GB hard drive knocking around to store my 700+ album collection on losslessly.

Apparently they're getting cheaper, though. eBuyer looks good for a reasonably-priced 8mb cache WD effort.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth