Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Music documentaries?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.13.2012, 10:15 PM   #21
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Yep, Decline Part 3 isn't so much about music though. Though it does have a handful of shitty neo-hardcore pseudo political punk bands in it. It's really more about squatters and the kids in LA being homeless. Alot of the scenes are of teenagers hanging out on corners pandering for money. It's pretty depressing to be sure.

I'm not even that sure where you would find it. I watched it on google videos or whatever a few years ago. I saw it was on youtube, but it's got that copyright infringement thing on it. Oh well, its easily the worst of the three.

i wanna see it. if i track down or something i'll make sure to post the link
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2012, 10:41 PM   #22
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulva
A Bookshelf In The Sky is a neat doc on John Zorn
Also if you can find We Don't Care About Music Anyway it's a neat little performance/doc on the japanese experimental scene.

I've been wanting to watch "We Don't Care About Music Anyway" for a long time. It finally has been released in DVD format in Europe, although it only has Polish subtitles. That sort of makes me hope some other releases will follow with subtitles in other languages. The soundtrack is available for streaming, and also can be ordered, over at bandcamp, and it's truly magnificent (includes madly awesome tracks by Otomo Yoshihide, Hiromichi Sakamoto, Jaike Stambach, among others):
http://bruitblanc.bandcamp.com/album...t-music-anyway

Another documentary worth mentioning (I think) in regards to the Noise scene would be "Nornoise: 12 Portraits About Music", by Tom Hovinbøle. It puts a lot of focus on the Norwegian scene; not a bad thing for those into Maja Ratkje, Origami Republika, and Jazkammer for instance, but there are also some nice interviews with other noise-artists and legends of the genre such as Masami Akita, Toshimaru Nakamura, and Otomo Yoshihide.
Old 02.13.2012, 11:39 PM   #23
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
It's a great doc, the only version I found was subtitled in french which was fortunate for me. It's got some interesting perspectives and discussions on the sounds and everything regarding japanese music. The roundtable discussions are really neat to see but the performances are what really steal the show.
Old 02.14.2012, 12:38 AM   #24
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Two Beefheart docs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBa8b...eature=related (with John Peel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVWeRninKnA (the superior "Under Review" documentary in which many of the old band members are interviewed, though it contains a few unbearable verbose critics trying to contextualize Don's music in the lamest terms possible)

US Maple documentary for the Acre Thrills album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loni6SVagbw

Screamin' Jay Hawkins - I Put A Spell On Me doc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qecYcFZR6Mk

Although it's not fully distributed yet, here is the trailer for the recently completed film about Rowland S. Howard, Autoluminiscent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpP9iWupUo0
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.14.2012, 11:06 AM   #25
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
'Cure For Pain: The Mark Sandman Story'...the trailer is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KW3G5pb9zM

More here:

http://gatlingpictures.com/#cfp

For those that don't know, Mark Sandman was the lead singer and slide bass player of the legendary band Morphine.
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.14.2012, 05:40 PM   #26
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
The power of salad and milkshakes about Lightning bolt is really good fun,

Louder Than War about the Manic Street Preachers playing a gig in Cuba is an interesting study on what it means to be a left-leaning rock band who routinely plays stadiums in the early part of the 21st century. Many here won't be fans of them, but I dont think you need to be to find it interesting.

It skips over the obvious ethical issues with being used by the Castro regime as propoganda tools, but there is a definite love for the culture and a regret about its inevitable decline that is touching. They also meet Castro and get all giddy

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2012, 10:44 AM   #27
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Here's another one for ya...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv102hoBDUU&ob=av2n

'Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten'
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 05:36 PM   #28
Scotty
empty page

Scotty has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1136197913/

Steve Shelley appears in the Townes Van Zandt doc Be Here To Love Me
Scotty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 06:21 PM   #29
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Touch the Sound --Evelyn Glennie and Fred Frith
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 07:18 PM   #30
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Watched the Classic Albums vid about Aja a little while ago. Not bad. I was obsessed with the album at the time so it was interesting.
Old 02.16.2012, 07:31 PM   #31
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Some good (and some not so good) jazz documentaries on BBC 4 this weekend:

Friday 17th.
21:00 Sonny Rollins: Beyond the Notes
22:00 Sonny Rollins '74: Rescued!
23:00 Ronny Scott and All That Jazz
00:00 1959: The Year That Changed Jazz

Saturday 18th
22:45 The Jazz Baroness
Documentary about the British baroness who fell in love with jazz genius Thelonious Monk.

Sunday 19th
19:00 Sir John Dankworth at the BBC
20:00 Jazz Piano Gold
21:00 Barbara Thompson: Playing Against Time
22:15 Barbara Thompson in Concert
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 07:38 PM   #32
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Envious. I'd love to see the Rollins shows and the 1959 show.
Old 02.16.2012, 07:41 PM   #33
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Make a special note if they're "official" documentaries; band sanctioned or whatever.

Now that I think about it I've never actually seen a Sonic Youth doc of any kind, unless you count Punk Broke, which I don't, or corporate ghost, which I don't.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 07:49 PM   #34
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Make a special note if they're "official" documentaries; band sanctioned or whatever.

Now that I think about it I've never actually seen a Sonic Youth doc of any kind, unless you count Punk Broke, which I don't, or corporate ghost, which I don't.
Corporate Ghost is not a documentary about SY.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 07:54 PM   #35
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

That's why I said don't count it
Old 02.16.2012, 07:54 PM   #36
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

btw: When corporate ghost came out they promised an official collection of vids from the pre-Geffen years. What happened to that?
Old 02.16.2012, 07:57 PM   #37
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
There was a South Bank show Doc about SY which is probably out there somewhere.

Old 02.16.2012, 07:57 PM   #38
gmku
invito al cielo

I don't know but that would have been very cool.
Old 02.16.2012, 08:00 PM   #39
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Understood. Why do you bother worrying if some people think it is a SY documentary then? I am just trying to work out what goes through that mind of yours.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 08:02 PM   #40
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

I remember I couldnt find pre-geffen videos on youtube a while ago, thats probably the same reason the purported DVD has never come about; contractual wranglings etc.

I also got a dodgy copy of corporate Ghost, the first batch they made was faulty and didnt play all the stuff it was meant to. Basicallly the modern equivolant of a vinyl mis-press but instead of being worth ££££ its just a pain in the arse

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth