Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston to play Psychic Hearts at ATP New York
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.07.2008, 01:29 AM   #21
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
That's an amazing lineup. Man, I wish I lived in NY.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 11:05 AM   #22
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
incredible lineup, i was talking to an old friend who does to SUNY delhi, a little bumb fuck farm town in upstate new york so ill drive up there to pick him up then go to the show from there.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2008, 02:56 PM   #23
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://blog.wired.com:80/music/2008/...s-at-work.html

Masters at Work: An Interview With All Tomorrow's Parties Founder Barry Hogan

By Scott Thill

It started out in 1966 as a Velvet Underground song about Andy Warhol's Factory clique. Then technocultural visionary William Gibson swiped it in 1999 for the title of the last installment of his Bridge trilogy. Shortly after that, it became the coolest concert event on the planet for fans of alternatives to the alternatives.
Since then, Barry Hogan's avant-garde brainchild All Tomorrow's Parties has overtaken country clubs and holiday camps with astounding sets curated by a pantheon of greats, from cranky engineer Steve Albini and Simpsons guru Matt Groening to Sonic Youth, Sleater-Kinney, Mogwai, Modest Mouse and many more.
The latest addition to Hogan's curator collection? My Bloody Valentine's notorious, reclusive genius Kevin Shields. Oh yeah, and his band's first U.S. show in over 15 years. Not bad, dude. Not bad at all.
Listening Post caught up with Hogan to discuss what it took to get Shields back in the U.S.A., and why his sonic influence has only grown exponentially larger in the decades since My Bloody Valentine first started destroying eardrums back in the mid-'80s.
Hogan also holds forth on why Tortoise is playing Millions Now Living Will Never Die instead of TNT, and why the American musical event of the year is taking place in the Catskills.

Wired.com: My. Bloody. Valentine. Nice score. How did it come about?
Barry Hogan: Kevin Shields has been coming to ATP gigs and festivals for years. I've always let him know that I was interested in putting My Bloody Valentine on, should the band ever reunite. We share a similar interest in music, and I think Kevin likes the fact we are independent and don’t try and play the game that calls itself the music industry.
Wired.com Personally speaking, what are your thoughts on the band, especially Shields' sonic innovations?
BH: My Bloody Valentine defines the word "sonic." Its live sound is like nothing else. It's harsh but beautiful. For years, we have seen or worked with various noise acts, but after seeing the band live, everyone will reevaluate what they are doing. Everything else is like Diet Coke to My Bloody Valentine's real thing. To say it has raised the bar is an understatement.
Wired.com: Where you rank this ATP among those that came before it? And what's Kevin like in his role of curator?
BH: People will not be disappointed. It can't be compared to anything else; it's the most unique show I have seen in years. Kevin Shields is great to work with. He is super-focused and knows exactly what he wants. We're really honored that we are presenting their first US show in 16 years.
Wired.com: A music fest in a country club is a trip. Who clinched the location, and what was the plan?
BH: Brian Schwartz, who manages Dinosaur Jr, mentioned it to us. He used to go there as kid. After he came to our UK edition, he told us about a place in the Catskills that would be perfect. I had looked at it online a few years ago, but Brian is the man that put it on the map, so he deserves all the credit for sourcing this location.
Wired.com: Who are some of the acts in this ATP who might be lost in My Bloody Valentine's prodigious shadow? I'm thinking Autolux.
BH: I think Silver Mount Zion deserve more light. Whether they are seeking that or not is another question, but they are one of our favorite bands and constantly underrated, in my opinion. I am also excited by The Drones and Fuck Buttons. ATP releases their records. I'm also excited about Les Savvy Fav and, of course, the mighty Shellac, who on a bad day are 100 times better than most bands.
Wired.com: Who curated the full-album show? I'm digging them, but I wish Tortoise would playTNT.
BH: I did. Yes, TNT is great, but Millions Now Living Will Never Die has a special meaning to me. Tortoise was the first band I promoted at ATP. And I love that so many people who bought the record thought it was damaged, because of the fucked-up part of "Djed." I know Rough Trade in London had various people trying to return their copies because they thought it was ruined. When you see them recreate it live, you will see true masters at work.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2008, 04:07 PM   #24
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
MY BLOODY VALENTINE - 1st show in 16 years in US... oh yeah
BUILT TO SPILL performing PERFECT FROM NOW ON... worthy of watching
MEAT PUPPETS performing MEAT PUPPETS II...ok, id go to it
THURSTON MOORE performing PSYCHIC HEARTS..... oh fuck yeah
TORTOISE performing MILLIONS NOW LIVING WILL NEVER DIE.. oh for fuck sakke yeah
SHELLAC.....oh good lord jeesus yeah
MOGWAI...it gets better
POLVO...holy fucking helll
FUCK BUTTONS.....good lordy god and jeebus....heaven
AUTOLUX..... fag break
THE DRONES....curious
LOW....erm, ok but possibly wouldnt last the set
WOODEN SHJIPS....ditto
EDAN with guest DAGHA...???????????????????????????
THEE SILVER MOUNT ZION ORCHESTRA... damn yeah

that is possibly the finest line up for a fest ive seem in a long long time....
Old 07.14.2008, 04:00 PM   #25
agoston
little trouble girl

agoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's assesagoston kicks all y'all's asses
Edan will be very memorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
MY BLOODY VALENTINE - 1st show in 16 years in US... oh yeah
BUILT TO SPILL performing PERFECT FROM NOW ON... worthy of watching
MEAT PUPPETS performing MEAT PUPPETS II...ok, id go to it
THURSTON MOORE performing PSYCHIC HEARTS..... oh fuck yeah
TORTOISE performing MILLIONS NOW LIVING WILL NEVER DIE.. oh for fuck sakke yeah
SHELLAC.....oh good lord jeesus yeah
MOGWAI...it gets better
POLVO...holy fucking helll
FUCK BUTTONS.....good lordy god and jeebus....heaven
AUTOLUX..... fag break
THE DRONES....curious
LOW....erm, ok but possibly wouldnt last the set
WOODEN SHJIPS....ditto
EDAN with guest DAGHA...???????????????????????????
THEE SILVER MOUNT ZION ORCHESTRA... damn yeah

that is possibly the finest line up for a fest ive seem in a long long time....
agoston is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2008, 04:53 PM   #26
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
AUTOLUX..... fag break

hahahahahahahaha
you must be joking
what's wrong with Autolux, they're a really great band
was listening to Future perfect yesterday
it's good, no?

say it's good

i luv it
Old 07.17.2008, 02:43 PM   #27
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
I got some great Psychic Hearts bootlegs but it be cool as shit to see T do the entire album live.
guitarpro is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2008, 12:30 AM   #28
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
PSYCHIC HEARTS AT NEW YORK ATP - NORTHAMPTON SHOW ADDED Thurston and band will perform the entire 'Psychic Hearts' album at the All Tomorrow's Parties Festival in Monticello, NY September 19. Details. Two nights earlier, the groop will do the same at Pearl Street in Northampton with Little Claw and Eat Skull.
Old 07.22.2008, 05:19 AM   #29
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex

i luv it

hehe, r u from Ireland?

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2008, 09:40 PM   #30
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
latest

Patton Oswalt who will be both performing and curating an evening of other comedians on Friday September 19th.
Curated by My Bloody Valentine – Brian Jonestown Massacre and Robin Guthrie plus more acts to be announced.
Curated by ATP – Lightning Bolt
We are also pleased to announce that the Criterion Collection will be working in conjunction with ATP to host the cinema at the event. (Also, look out for the games room where you’ll find Steve Albini at the card table…)

as it stands now

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 19TH - DON'T LOOK BACK
THURSTON MOORE PERFORMING PSYCHIC HEARTS »
TORTOISE PERFORMING MILLIONS NOW LIVING WILL NEVER DIE »
MEAT PUPPETS PERFORMING MEAT PUPPETS II »
BUILT TO SPILL PERFORMING PERFECT FROM NOW ON »
BARDO POND PERFORMING LAPSED »
PATTON OSWALT »

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 20TH - CHOSEN BY ATP
FUCK BUTTONS »
LOW »
GROWING »
EDAN WITH GUEST DAGHA »
SHELLAC »
THEE SILVER MOUNT ZION ORCHESTRA »
THE DRONES »
POLVO »
WOODEN SHJIPS »
HARMONIA »
OM »
AUTOLUX »
APSE »
ALEXANDER TUCKER »
LES SAVY FAV »
LIGHTNING BOLT »

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 21ST - CHOSEN BY MY BLOODY VALENTINE
MY BLOODY VALENTINE
DINOSAUR JR. »
LILYS »
YO LA TENGO »
MERCURY REV »
MOGWAI »
LE VOLUME COURBE »
BOB MOULD »
SPECTRUM »
GEMMA HAYES »
THE WOUNDED KNEES »
BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE »
ROBIN GUTHRIE »
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2008, 08:54 PM   #31
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
so who shall be attending? shall be there with Jennthebenn, Naomi, and Shaka Moloch

also Autolux pulled out for whatever reason
Old 09.16.2008, 08:59 PM   #32
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
upstate NY in the fall is the best...fond memories of Saratoga Springs/Glens Falls/Colonie/Albany daze here...

i think i'm going to try and put in an appearance if at all possible...how can i miss this?
damn, it's gotten to be only a few days away though...now i feel wretched.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2008, 12:59 PM   #33
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

WFMU broadcasting and streaming sets from New York ATP Festival

September 17, 2008 10:23 a.m. by Nick Neyland

Were the ticket prices for the New York incarnation of the ATP Festival a little too steep for you? If so, help is at hand. WFMU has announced that it will be broadcasting many of the sets from this weekend’s ATP, which begins on Friday with a number of performances in the “Don’t Look Back” series. Those sets won’t be broadcast, but WFMU has secured the rights to transmit numerous sets from Saturday and Sunday’s lineups.

My Bloody Valentine are yet to agree to the broadcast, so don’t hold your breath waiting to hear their set. But the good news is that Mercury Rev, Polvo, Yo La Tengo, Dinosaur Jr., and Lightning Bolt are among the bands who will be playing live on WFMU. The WFMU website promises that further additions will be made to their lineup, so if you’re homebound this weekend then keep checking their blog. Tickets for ATP are still on sale, and can be purchased here. The initial lineup of artists set to be broadcast live from ATP are listed below. [The Daily Swarm]

Yo La Tengo
Polvo
Dinosaur Jr.
Growing
Harmonia
Om
Mercury Rev
Lightning Bolt
Bob Mould
Low
Wooden Shjips
Silver Mt. Zion
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Spectrum
Old 09.17.2008, 11:55 PM   #34
Moshe
Super Moderator

What old songs shall the rock stars play at All Tomorrow’s Parties

By Matthew Kantor

All Tomorrow’s Parties
Sept. 19 through 21, Kutshers Country Club, Monticello, NY; for more information visit www.atpfestival.com.

In a scene where the hottest bands are generally the newest and least known—if you’ve got an unpronounceable name and play 3 a.m. shows in Bushwick, you’ve got it made!—suddenly, everything old is new again.
At this weekend’s All Tomorrow’s Parties festival, a three-day, 20-plus-band orgy of sound, bands like Meat Puppets and Built to Spill will take the stage to play decades-old records, and shoegazer icon My Bloody Valentine will play its first U.S. show in 16 years.

For fans, these shows provide an opportunity to hear landmark records and see live what they’ve been listening to for years. For the musicians, however, this wave of nostalgia doesn’t hold the same appeal.

“It’s not just us recapturing something from our youth,” says Meat Puppets bassist Cris Kirkwood. “We’re still able to find new vitality in the songs and we’re getting more hellish about it as we age.”

Sonic Youth frontman Thurston Moore, who will be playing his 1995 solo album Psychic Hearts at the fest, has a drier take on performing vintage material. Having performed Sonic Youth’s groundbreaking album, Daydream Nation, in its entirety last year, Moore is well acquainted with the pitfalls of revisiting past achievements.

“I had no interest in doing it. It’s the same thing as Daydream Nation,” says Moore. “I wanted to move forward. I didn’t want to spend a year touring and rehashing Daydream Nation even though it turned out to be something really rewarding for me. I was asked to do Psychic Hearts by Barry Hogan who curates ATP, and I said I would do it kinda because I wanted to see My Bloody Valentine.”

Wry MBV incentive aside, Moore maintains that he’s still having fun playing Psychic Hearts’ material because of its straightforward, barn-burning nature. The ideas that formed the album also remain clear and accessible, and the music that inspired his bid at rock transcendence stays relevant.

“Psychic Hearts was a conceptual record for me,” he says. “I wanted to make a record utilizing these song riffs that I didn’t wanna elaborate on. I was really into the idea of repetition. A lot of it was wanting to take little lyrical ideas I had in notebooks and set them to simplistic patterns. It was influenced a lot by the first Nirvana record. It intrigued me how they had simplistic note patterns. I related it to what I liked about bands like The Fall who even had a song called “Repetition.” To express it was very explicit, too—it has a rock ‘n’ roll aesthetic. Those are the ideas that were at play. It certainly wasn’t a grand gesture.”

“I don’t really think of [record albums] as nostalgia,” he adds. “I think of them as these signifiers that everybody has personally that people then share, especially people around the same age. There were a few records that were extremely potent for me at a time that was really crucial. I was nineteen in ‘77 so there’s the first Patti Smith record, the first Ramones album, The Sex Pistols’ album, Television, Richard Hell and The Voidoids. That whole first generation of punk records was extremely important for me and still is. I can put those on and they still inspire me to write music.”

No stranger to blazing punk trails, Meat Puppets first New York show, in 1982, included Sonic Youth on the bill. As part of the SST label’s family, the bands shared a home with The Minutemen as well; in fact, the tragic loss of Minutemen frontman D. Boon affected some Meat Puppets II music well before All Tomorrow’s Parties.
“Certain songs took on a certain flavor years ago,” says Kirkwood. “The Minutemen covered the song “Lost” [“Lost on the freeway again/ Lookin’ for means to an end”] and then D. Boon got killed right on the highway here in Arizona. He was a special person and ever since then “Lost” has always had this certain flavor to it, this certain essence to it. It’s touching in that way that speaks to all of us that have been playing music for such a long time.”

After a recent recovery from some harrowing experiences that included drug abuse, the death of his wife, a bullet in his back and a prison stint, Kirkwood is not immune to the emotions evoked by still being alive and playing with his guitar-slinging brother Chris, decades removed from their origins in the Phoenix desert.

“I put myself through years of hell,” he says, “and to actually be back and healthy and playing with my brother again is touching. Some of those things will come up, like damn, it’s my brother and we don’t have a lot of family and it’s touching in that way. That occasionally can surface but still it’s always about the same shit it’s been about.”

Moore has a more pragmatic take on the idea. “We’re able to sort of not have day jobs, that’s the most important thing,” he says. “I don’t know how long that will last now that the industry is kind of in this situation where people aren’t buying the documents. It’s sort of frightening. I’ll have to start mowing lawns pretty soon. That’s what I used to do when I was fifteen, now I’m fifty, so I’ll have come full circle”.
Old 09.19.2008, 06:28 PM   #35
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
WFMU will be broadcasting and streaming live from the now sold out All Tomorrow's Parties festival (curated by My Bloody Valentine) this weekend, up at Kutsher's Resort near Monticello, New York. Gaylord Fields, Pseu Braun, Liz Berg, Mike Lupica, and Marty McSorley will be your hosts, DJing and interviewing between sets. As promised earlier, here's a breakdown of what you can hear live on WFMU's airwaves and streams. Things are still in flux, so don't give up hope if your favorite act doesn't appear below! (Read more)

Saturday, September 20th
3:00 PM - 3:45 PM Growing
4:15 PM - 5:00 PM Wooden Shjips
5:30 PM - 6:00 PM Harmonia
6:45 PM - 7:30 PM Om
8:00 PM - 8:30 PM Low
8:30 PM - 9:15 PM Polvo (in progress, cutting away from Low)
9:45 PM - 11:15 PM Thee Silver Mt. Zion Orchestra
12:45 AM - 1:30 AM Lightning Bolt

Sunday, September 21st
3:30 PM - 4:15 PM The Lilys
5:30 PM - 6:15 PM Mercury Rev
6:15 PM - 6:45 PM Spectrum (joining in progress)
6:45 PM - 7:30 PM Yo La Tengo
9:15 PM - 10:00 PM Bob Mould
10:00 PM - 11:00 PM Dinosaur Jr.
11:00 PM - 11:45 PM Brian Jonestown Massacre

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2008, 02:26 PM   #36
Moshe
Super Moderator

Saturday, September 20, 2008

All Tomorrow's Parties, Day One: Thurston Moore Dusts Off A Mid-Nineties Fan Favorite

“I have Thurston-itis!” screamed one fan during Thurston Moore’s set Friday night at All Tomorrow’s Parties. The cure, apparently: Really loud guitars. Moore, the longtime Sonic Youth guitarist, played all of his 1995 solo album, Psychic Hearts. (Friday featured several artists playing entire records, with Meat Puppets performing Meat Puppets II and Built to Spill doing Perfect From Now On). Moore’s performance was more than solid, even though he apparently only know the words to two songs – he was reading lyrics off a music stand for much of the set. Though it felt like a niche set, the venue was packed, and both My Bloody Valentine mastermind Kevin Shields and Moore’s wife (and Sonic Youth bassist) Kim Gordon were looking on. Moore seemed playful as he ran through the album -- which features a load of excellent fuzz jams, dissonant guitar spills, and some of his punkiest songs ever -- bantering with the audience before “Cindy (Rotten Tanx)” about how “this next song is not about Cindy McCain – at least I didn’t think it was,” and self-deprecatingly (and inaccurately) describing Psychic Hearts as “written in one day, recorded later that day and mixed that evening.”
Old 09.20.2008, 11:30 PM   #37
Moshe
Super Moderator

http://stereogum.com/archives/concer...rt_022831.html
Old 09.22.2008, 09:03 AM   #38
Moshe
Super Moderator

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/22/ar...ts&oref=slogin
Old 09.22.2008, 08:28 PM   #39
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

just got back after 10 hours sitting in one form of a moving vehicle or other

great festival, lots of good drinks, rowboating, bocce ball and drinks

my favs of the whole things would have to be Bardo Pond, Tortoise, Thurston, Polvo, Shellac, Yo La Tengo and Dinosaur

My Bloody Valentine was late to the stage and teased the crowd a little too long, and were rather underwhelming, and certainly use their volume to compensate for their lack of stage presense

on the sonic front, Thurston didn't play Psychic Hearts in order as was expected, he started with a truncated rendition of Elegy for Dead Rock Stars and proceeded to play in what order he saw best fit

also the Year Punk Broke screening was very memorable, Blues Scale was hilarious, and at the beginning Dave had special give away: his own very personal one of a kind YPB promo poster with screencaps he cut and pasted onto it, made back when the film was released, and he gave it to the person who could guess the working title of the film "tooth or hair" (play on madonna's truth or dare) but no one had the sightest clue, so he asked if anyone knew what his first band was, I blurt out "Painted Willy" and he said "close enough" and gave it to me, after the screening got him to sign it while a gaggle of photogs were taking pics of that (pics later)

so i had a nice drink.... umm i mean time.... ok i am intentionally hinting at how shitfaced i got on friday night and stumbling around and hitting my head in the old ass elevator
Old 09.22.2008, 09:24 PM   #40
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Spectrum blew my freaking mind wide open. great set.

Mercury Rev was far better than i was expecting as well. for the DLB stuff, Tortoise took that one going away.

god i'm tired.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth