Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I have got a question for y'all synthheads!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.07.2008, 04:56 AM   #1
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Okay so basically, I'm planning on buying a synth for my birthday, in October. I'm searching something on which I could play "surreal" sounds, as in the intro of The Earthquake That Frees Prisioners by Gang Gang Dance, Taste by Animal Collective, or 1969/Music Is Math by Boards Of Canada (actually a lot of BoC tracks would apply there as well). For the moment I think I'll get an Alesis Ion, it seems really great and I think I'll have enough money, but do you have other suggestions? At first I was planning on buying a Roland SH-201, cause it's cheaper, but the few demos I saw on youtube frightened me, cause it seems to mostly be able to produce plastic trance sounds, which doesn't interest me. So... if you have suggestions, please tell me
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2008, 07:13 AM   #2
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
If you want atmosphere:
Access Virus (even though you don't have the cash)
Roland Juno (probably the same story)
more soon
Old 06.07.2008, 07:29 AM   #3
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The Moog Little Phatty is great.

You can probably pick up an old Juno fairly cheaply, but it won't have midi spec. They're amazing synths nonetheless.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2008, 08:19 AM   #4
sarramkrop

Midi Synth - I find that the more surreal ways of getting ''surreal sounds'' come from abusing both the technology and your instrument to the point that you will regret it.

Tradional ways- Anything that you think is not there and should be forge an amibilvalent relationship with your instrument, therefore potentially profitable.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth