Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page bands that are blowing your mind lately
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.02.2010, 12:04 PM   #121
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
kurt vile kurt vile and kurt vile!
oh and blues control

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2010, 12:14 PM   #122
frades
children of satan

frades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's asses
the french female singer Pauline: "la vie du bon côté" (May 2010). that's what I'd call "great music" but if anybody can define it best, I'll take notes
frades is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2010, 06:56 PM   #123
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Mudhoney
Electric Eels
Warren Zevon
Crazy Dreams Band

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2010, 11:32 PM   #124
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
every surf rock band ever

have you heard The Jokers? From Belgium
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2010, 05:15 AM   #125
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Since I saw them give an absolutely shredding gig at Primavera, I've been thrown back onto a Polvo kick for the first time in a while. Mainly Today's Active Lifestyles.

Also, the whole of last few weeks I've been totally and unreasonably obsessed with Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, which I've just properly clicked with for the first time, and has made up probably around half of everything I've been listening to.

Basically those two albums are my musical life right now.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2010, 07:56 PM   #126
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Probably sounds naf on this board, but I'm loving the Sea and Cake's last record Car Alarm. such a great sound. Had it for quite sometime but only now just fell in semi-love with it.
Old 06.03.2010, 08:47 PM   #127
Better_Than_Deux
children of satan

Better_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_Deux kicks all y'all's asses
bodies of water. so sweet, so cute.

Better_Than_Deux is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2010, 10:54 PM   #128
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
mark mcguire's new joint, Vacation Days . its fantastic.
and Bow Echoes , by Damian Valles

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2010, 02:33 AM   #129
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertonic
Man I have not been able to listen to much of anything other than Ariel Pink for months...!

My fav is probably Worn Copy, then House Arrest... but I am pretty astonished at the consistent quality of the songwriting... great stuff!

I'm looking forward to getting back to Worn Copy and House Arrest! My ipod got wiped out and all my music is on my hard drive away from me for two months! I still have Grandes Exitos Greatest Hits, a mix of a lot of their best songs, so that's keeping me company for now. Have you grooved to any R. Stevie Moore?

P.S: Supercreep - AWESOME display picture
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2010, 02:40 AM   #130
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Arab on Radar is blowing my mind by getting high enough to get back together. I've been listening to them non-stop and planning my way to California to follow them down the coast.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2010, 03:35 AM   #131
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
new Nachtmystium/Twilight
Forgotten Tomb
Old 06.08.2010, 03:51 PM   #132
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
this message is going to be fucking useless since everyone knows and has an opinion about him, but anyway, burial is fucking blowing my mind lately. i used to find him fucking atrocious then he suddenly clicked on me last month, bought his cds in london, and damn is untrue stuck in my brain all the time now. Totally beautiful. Honestly I think I'd put Untrue in my top 20 records of the decade if I did such a list. I adore this record. Hyperdub is definitely an awesome label
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2010, 04:19 PM   #133
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
yeah. its a shame he seems to have stopped releasing any of his own material. apart from some rumoured collaborations he has been quiet.

i do agree that untrue and many of his other songs are some of the best of the decade. however im dissapointed that he hasnt gone any further, because it does seem like he could take his sound to new places. it certainly doesnt seem to me anyway that what he did was just a one off that couldnt be repeated. althought maybe he sees things the opposite way, and its a case of hype throttling talent in self concioussness AGAIN. thats why im so anti hype, now that everyone has google. i don't even like to shout about the albums i do think are extraordinary or set new standards, because it feels like you are doing the artist a disservice by treating them in that way. burial appears to be just playing it safe with collaborations lately, which would appear to back up my theory on fear of not living up to unrealistic expectations.

i cant think of many others who explored the atmospheric side of things that burial did so well. however i don't listen to enough electronica and could use recommendations. i don't have the knowledge to scan that side of things as well as i can other types of music and find out about new stuff. usually i'm a bit behind with it.

dubstep now needs to become an unacceptable trend. if you accept the hardcore continuum theory then its time for dubstep to transmute into something else entirely. the only stuff i'm aware of that could be seen as picking up from burial would be maybe some of the darkstep stuff, but you don't get a lot of femininity in electronica, which is sad and which is why burial was so unusual. maybe a few of the hauntology albums explore something similar to what burial did, but were else do you get find a male making music and doing those kind of gender acrobatics with his voice? unfortunately not everywhere. that aspect is definitely the most important thing about his music and what everyone else needs to pick up on.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2010, 04:26 PM   #134
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Xasthur, Thinking Fellers, Thrill Kill Kult, Sex & Candy (the song), Sonic Youth, Pig Destroyer
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2010, 04:50 PM   #135
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
new Nachtmystium/Twilight
Forgotten Tomb

I saw them recently. Not as good as the support act, Psyke Project.. I think I'd have enjoyed Nachtmystium on most other nights though. Also, might as well get the plug in for my mate's band, who also played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n'ik
dubstep now needs to become an unacceptable trend. if you accept the hardcore continuum theory then its time for dubstep to transmute into something else entirely. the only stuff i'm aware of that could be seen as picking up from burial would be maybe some of the darkstep stuff, but you don't get a lot of femininity in electronica, which is sad and which is why burial was so unusual. maybe a few of the hauntology albums explore something similar to what burial did, but were else do you get find a male making music and doing those kind of gender acrobatics with his voice? unfortunately not everywhere. that aspect is definitely the most important thing about his music and what everyone else needs to pick up on.

See, I have this problem that the 'ardkore continuum tends to miss out on the actual hardcore. I'm not saying jumpstyle is the greatest new thing (and it might not actually be new) but dubstep seems to have this austerity about it that I can't really see producing much more. I mean, it's quite a diverse genre by now (SYRFox seems pretty up on it) so there's bound to be other things happening, but I get the impression it's at a similar point as when dnb became tech-step/ breakbeat, neither of which interested me in the least (or, crucially, female audiences, in my experience).

I saw the Arditti quartet doing Birtwhistle, Dusapin and Schnittke the other week. Birtwhistle and Schnittke I've liked for a while, but that Dusapin chap is pretty exceptional. I can't think of anything else that's blown my mind lately, apart from rediscovering Low, who are a much better band than I gave them credit for (a million years ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2010, 04:59 PM   #136
Newfoundland
bad moon rising

Newfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's asses
Erkin Koray,Masshysteri,Ultralyd
Newfoundland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2010, 05:31 PM   #137
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundland
Erkin Koray,Masshysteri,Ultralyd

I'm playing with Ultralyd next week as it happens. Are they actually popular (relatively speaking), or is it going to be another poor turn-out Wednesday crowd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2010, 06:52 PM   #138
Newfoundland
bad moon rising

Newfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'm playing with Ultralyd next week as it happens. Are they actually popular (relatively speaking), or is it going to be another poor turn-out Wednesday crowd?

I dont know about popular, but a great band. Saw them live couple of weeks ago, and it was amazing.

Good luck with the turnout!
Newfoundland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2010, 08:31 PM   #139
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
apart from rediscovering Low, who are a much better band than I gave them credit for (a million years ago).

Strangely enough, same here. I've always had Low albums but I just very recently have decided that they're worth throwing on.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2010, 08:36 PM   #140
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
queen
Satan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth