Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page boredoms and other japanese acts.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.23.2008, 10:49 AM   #41
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
haha.
Im listening to Kiiiii right now, it's very fun.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2008, 11:59 AM   #42
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91

Atsonicpark does not know it all. How could he leave off Japanese hair metal group Loudness?

ROCK'N'ROLL CRAZY NIGHTS...
YOU ARE THE HEEEERO TONIGHT

i was going to say "loudness dooooood!!!" but i hesitated.

once, i was talking to some guy who had a fair grasp about underground music and i was talking about the boredoms and ruins and amt and melt-banana, fairly common shit in this side of the world; i mentioned something about them being obscure and cult-like by design and he replied by saying "true, the only band out of those who have really made it is loudness". i'm still wondering why i didn't burst out laughing at that same moment.

--

anyway, i myself keep a list of bands to check out and i rather appreciate a list from someone (especially in this board) who i may know their musical taste and can, to a certain extent trust. i then look for something to download and listen to myself.

with the internet, all you need is to type (or copy paste, lazy fucks!) a band name and you'll find, at least a label site and an official site and/or myspace.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2008, 01:50 PM   #43
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah Kazuki Tomokawa rules, unfortunately I don't know many Japanese acid folk singers. He is apparently THE acid folk singer, though... I found out about him through the film Izo...

My only problem with liking Japanese music is that I don't know any of the song titles. Though I rarely know song titles anyway...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Green Milk From Plant Orange. They're Japanese, right? Totally amazing epic psychadelica with prog influence, like 30 minute songs, great shit.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2008, 02:06 PM   #44
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yeah, I stopped reading musical magazines about 6 or 7 years ago, when Alternative Press started becoming terrible. I'd read the Wire, but it's a bit expensive to get it here I think.

I do download a lot of shit from blogs though, mainly mutant sounds.

Um.. I don't know if I'm that knowledgable about stuff, but I'm knowledgable on the subjects that interest me. Start a "reccomend me free jazz" thread and I won't have near as many reccomendations.. not because I don't like it, I just.. you know. Japanese music interests me more than most genres. (besides, maybe, surf rock )

yeah same here, its ridiculous how much time of my life is spent listeniing to music. at home, in my car, on my bike (i love crusing on my bike wtih my headphones), between classes, at the gym, while im reading, even when im playing my guitar or trumpet i usually have a record on, unless im recording.

the only mags i read know are wire, terrorizer, and rock a rolla. wire and terrorizer are expensive as fuck, so i just read them when im at a bookstore or something. all brit magazines too, that must be saying something. decibel is ok too, but they cover a lotta dumb-metal too.

and Fuck on the Beach is one of my favorite bands. top 30 easily.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2008, 05:08 PM   #45
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Huck
Anymore recommendation of folkier/blues-roots japanese stuff? Not psychedelica-collective kinda Ghost, more structured singer-songwriter.

Kan Mikami and Shuji Inaba are the other two big names I like. I love all three of them dearly (Mikami is one of my very favorite musicians ever), but I think Tomokawa is perhaps the easiest for non-Japanese speakers to "get". Mikami and Inaba have super fab voices - big, gruff and gritty like the best delta blues, but the music is maybe... toned down a bit compared to Tomokawa's.
Doji Morita (1970s female singer/songwhittler) is also fantastic. Some of her albums are floating around on mp3 blogs. Try this

hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2008, 05:18 PM   #46
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
yes green milk is amazing, and i bet buzzo will dig them, considering he likes dinosaur.

sigh are fucking cool too.
Old 01.23.2008, 05:24 PM   #47
ChocolateJesus
bad moon rising

ChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's assesChocolateJesus kicks all y'all's asses
I have found bigger music geeks than me. Never thought it would happen.
ChocolateJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2008, 05:53 PM   #48
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Just out of curiosity: how do you find the time for listening to this continous parade of obscure names' records and form such a precise opinion about them? I'm just curious because it generally can take me weeks, months or even years to properly get certain records, so it seems like quite the miracle that you are performing, there.

I think it's a very pop thing to be able to memorise, or remember like slews of how it works, on only one or two listens. There's a few songs I've not heard more than twice that I know most of the words to and could probably hum most of.

Not a criticism, obviously. I do think (drumroll for a prickish statement) that you need a bit of both. I'm still having problems getting to the bottom of, say, Gould's Goldberg variations - in fact, my pop fascination/ obsession of the last 2 years or so is probably because if I'm not listening to something facile, I'm listening to something that demands a lot of attention. A release if you like.

And I can't help but feel that either Atsonicpark has an exceptional musical ear (in which case he wouldn't be listening to the stuff he is, from what I've heard of it - a moderate amount) or there's something inherently simple about the music. This is still not a criticism.

Actually, this whole statement is probably my bitterness at getting burnt on spending the whole of a summer holiday listening to shit demos and finding myself unable to listen to indie music for a fair while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 12:11 AM   #49
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Boredoms Sign to Thrill Jockey; Thrill Jockey Is Fucking Awesome

Thrill Jockey smiled as Boredoms made her way down toward the shore. Her long, dark hair hung loosely over her shoulders, with her perfectly toned body gleaming in the sunlight. For a moment, Thrill thought he might stop breathing if Boredoms didn’t stop running. Dipping her toes in the water, Boredoms deemed it warm enough and made her way out to him, with a smile spread across her glossy lips.
"How are you liking the water?" Boredoms asked, as she reached Thrill.
"It’s getting kinda hot actually," he said smiling at her, as she bobbed up and down in front of him.
"Oh yeah?"
"You know, if we weren’t in public, I’d probably do you right now!" said Thrill jokingly.
"Why don’t you?" she asked, licking her lips seductively. "The sun’s going down... no one’s on the sand. It’s just me, you, and a really great idea."
"Lead the way," Thrill replied with a devilish grin.
As soon as they reached the beach, Boredoms started furiously kissing Thrill. If this was where she wanted it to happen, he sure wasn’t going to protest. Slipping his tongue into her mouth, he began to tug at her bottom. She slowly pulled away and took off her bathing suit herself, smiling wickedly as she took his hand and slipped it between her legs. "Better?" she asked before kissing him again. Nodding and caressing his tongue with hers, Thrill slipped his fingers inside Boredoms and slowly began to stroke.
...You can hear the rest of this sexy adventure on Boredoms’ Super Roots 9 (TMT Review), set for release via Thrill Jockey everywhere outside Japan. Yep, Boredoms finally have a solid U.S. label to call home! The CD will come in a custom, mini-gatefold jacket, accompanied by a "40-page perfect bound booklet with music scores and notations." It’ll even be available as a 320 bitrate, DRM-free download! Seriously, Thrill Jockey is the SHIT. Expect more sexy releases from Boredoms and Thrill Jockey in the future.
What a day at the beach:
03.15.08 - San Diego, CA - Canes 03.16.08 - Los Angeles, CA - Henry Fonda Theater 03.18.08 - San Francisco, CA - Fillmore Auditorium $ 03.20.08 - Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom 03.21.08 - Seattle, WA - Neumos 03.25.08 - Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue $ 03.26.08 - Chicago, IL - Logan Square Auditorium 03.29.08 - Boston, MA - Paradise 03.30.08 - New York, NY - Terminal 5 $ 04.02.08 - Philadelphia, PA - Starlight Ballroom 04.03.08 - Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
$ "in the round" (which means you can walk freely around Boredoms as they make some crazy noise)
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 01:06 AM   #50
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91

Atsonicpark does not know it all. How could he leave off Japanese hair metal group Loudness?

ROCK'N'ROLL CRAZY NIGHTS...
YOU ARE THE HEEEERO TONIGHT

fuck yeah loudness! i saw their one video they had on vh1 classics, but then afterward they played a manowar video (which was so much more amazing) so i forgot all about loudness until now.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 10:12 AM   #51
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Bore on.

Old 01.24.2008, 11:45 AM   #52
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
ROVO
Rovo is a Japanese instrumental psychedelic rock-jazz band founded in 1996 in Tokyo by former Boredoms guitarist Seiichi Yamamoto (山本精一), electric violinist Yuji Katsui (勝井祐二), and synthesizer/effects technician Tatsuki Masuko (益子樹), with Jin Harada (原田仁) on bass guitar, Hiroshi Nakanishi (中西宏司) on synths, and featuring two drummers/percussionists, the prolific Yasuhiro Yoshigaki (芳垣安洋) (of legendary improv noise group Ground Zero) and Yoichi Okabe (岡部洋一).
They describe themselves as "Man Drive Trance", due to their hands-on methods of creating a kind of music usually produced entirely electronically.

Listening to their Flage album right now, pretty killer.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 12:12 PM   #53
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
anyone mention the gorgeous and wonderful afrirampo and the equally gorgeous and cute kiiiiiii

Old 01.24.2008, 02:57 PM   #54
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I said, "I'm not going to mention Afrirampo because everyone knows them."

And I mentioned Rovo, right? Good band. Any band with Seiichii is good..

Old 01.24.2008, 03:37 PM   #55
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
you see adam, thats my problem. i skip over the details to see the bigger picture!!!!
Old 01.24.2008, 08:43 PM   #56
jakeonguitar
bad moon rising

jakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's asses
So, Atsonicpark, you got into the OGRE YOU ASSHOLE album?

Yeah, it's pretty good in my book.

jakeonguitar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 09:30 PM   #57
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
I just got the two Boredoms cds I said I ordered a couple days ago and am listening in bliss right now.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 04:08 PM   #58
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses
Buffalo Daughter's albums on Grand Royal are worth a mention,not too sure on their later stuff tho, and also theres also Oshiri Penpenz....
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 06:00 PM   #59
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by me.
...and also theres also Oshiri Penpenz....

yes!!!! top top band!
Old 01.25.2008, 06:21 PM   #60
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

congenital haemmoroids???????????

arent they japanese?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth