Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SYR 7
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.28.2008, 11:02 AM   #1
Sucklechimp
little trouble girl

Sucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's asses
Hello all, I am new, this is my first post. I hate this introductory shit. Sonic Youth has been my favorite band for a long time. Their most recent record left me somewhat disheartened, though. NYC Ghosts and Flowers blew me away. Murray Street was even better, an absolute classic record. Nurse was cool; especially Kim's vocals, but I was missing the experimental side of the band. Rather Ripped was great, but it's definitely been the least spun Sonic record for me! I just really couldn't get into it like I have with every other release. I've been a big fan of the Sonic Youth Recordings stuff because it's totally out there and showcases their true artistic nature. I have been listening to SYR 7 for the past couple of weeks, and it has really reinvigorated my love for SY. Not that is had ever gone away by any means, but listening to this record reminds me how groundbreaking this band is and will be until they quit. Even without Jim O'Rourke, who was awesome, and I love SYR 3... but J' Accuse Ted Hughes just makes me fucking giddy! And the fact that they explore ambient terrority in track 2 makes me even giddier. So, hello, and I love all you all.
Sucklechimp is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 11:09 AM   #2
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Well, sadly SYR 7 isn't a record to rekindle your faith in the band's current direction. Both recordings are from several years ago. J' Accuse Ted Hughes was recorded some 7 or 8 years ago. If anything, SYR 7 pissed me off one hell of alot. It's a great sounding record for sure, but it proves the band's sechedule is so packed they can only find time to record tracks for Starbuck and maybe rush a new album in a few weeks. The dedicated fans (lets face it, those that buy the SYR series are dedicated) get fobbed off with a near decade old recording. They seem to be no longer making music for the love of it, but rather because they have to. Sorry to be negative, but this is sadly what I've come to think.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 11:31 AM   #3
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
The dedicated fans get fobbed off with a near decade old recording.

fobbed off? are you kidding me? that's an amazing recording man, and "dedicated fans" already knew "j'accuse..."... It just proves that it deserved a proper release along with the agnes b---I don't think they make music "because they have to", or they're"schedule" would not be that packed at all, don't you think? but that's a long story and don't have enough time to post.

that said, welcome to the new boarder!
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 11:41 AM   #4
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
As I said, SYR 7 IS an amazing record, yes. All of the SYR series are. But thats not the issue. Is it too much to ask of a relatively recent recording for a new release. Yes, the recordings deserved a proper release, but how about soon after they recorded them. I just think its pretty cheeky giving us the old peices, especially when we're currently in the longest gap between albums for a decade.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 05.28.2008, 11:46 AM   #5
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Well, sadly SYR 7 isn't a record to rekindle your faith in the band's current direction. Both recordings are from several years ago. J' Accuse Ted Hughes was recorded some 7 or 8 years ago. If anything, SYR 7 pissed me off one hell of alot. It's a great sounding record for sure, but it proves the band's sechedule is so packed they can only find time to record tracks for Starbuck and maybe rush a new album in a few weeks. The dedicated fans (lets face it, those that buy the SYR series are dedicated) get fobbed off with a near decade old recording. They seem to be no longer making music for the love of it, but rather because they have to. Sorry to be negative, but this is sadly what I've come to think.

I have to disagree. I'm glad they're taking the time to sort through some of their archives for releases like SYR7, 8, THE DESTROYED ROOM and Delux reissues. I don't see how it's a bad thing to shed light on some of the overlooked and forgotten pieces they've worked on over the years. Especially the live tangents such as SYR7 and 8. I don't feel the least bit "fobbed off" or whatever.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 11:48 AM   #6
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

I have the same problem with My Bloody Valentine, the first of their new releases will be Loveless out-takes. But at least they're releasing NEW material in relative proximity to this. Perhaps this is what SY should have done, released SYR7 AND new material.
Anyway, my initial point was SYR 7 is no suggestion of the band's current direction, because it's from ages ago. It's like commenting on Portishead's or another band's current sound judging by unreleased material from 1994.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 05.28.2008, 11:50 AM   #7
Sucklechimp
little trouble girl

Sucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I have to disagree. I'm glad they're taking the time to sort through some of their archives for releases like SYR7, 8, THE DESTROYED ROOM and Delux reissues. I don't see how it's a bad thing to shed light on some of the overlooked and forgotten pieces they've worked on over the years. Especially the live tangents such as SYR7 and 8. I don't feel the least bit "fobbed off" or whatever.
SYR 8? Never heard of it! I just looked it up and now can't wait! Thanks for fucking my mind!!
Old 05.28.2008, 11:50 AM   #8
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i dont really like syr7 that much, one of my least dug of the syr series.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Sucklechimp
little trouble girl

Quote:
I have the same problem with My Bloody Valentine, the first of their new releases will be Loveless out-takes. But at least they're releasing NEW material in relative proximity to this. Perhaps this is what SY should have done, released SYR7 AND new material.
Anyway, my initial point was SYR 7 is no suggestion of the band's current direction, because it's from ages ago. It's like commenting on Portishead's or another band's current sound judging by unreleased material from 1994.
Well, I really don't care if they continue on with a less experimental sound. God knows it's better listening to SY than 90% of any other shit. But I know they won't, because they're not that kind of band. At all. Whatever happens, as long as they continue their SYR releases, I'll be happy, regardless of how long ago it was recorded.
Old 05.28.2008, 11:53 AM   #10
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I agree with the last bit of your last post (edit: referred to This Is Not Here last post) (this IS an old recording=not necessarily reflects the present "direction" the band is in) but as noisereductions said I'm glad they're going through their archives to release great stuff. About the gap between albums, with all the touring/side stuff they worked on lately I honestly don't feel much "abandoned" as a SY fan, but I'd like a new proper sy album too, yeah.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 12:02 PM   #11
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
i dont really like syr7 that much, one of my least dug of the syr series.

ditto
Old 05.28.2008, 12:10 PM   #12
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I think SYR7 is (for lack of a better term) dreamy. I like it more than 6.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2008, 01:02 PM   #13
koolthing78
bad moon rising

koolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asses
I understand what you mean, This Is Not Here. I'm the same way. I always got upset when an artist's "new" release was something actually very old. Like in the 90's, when it seemed like every track I loved the most off of Liz Phair's "Whipsmart" was actually a remake of something from her Girly Sounds demos. It always left me feeling torn, like it was "the beginning of the end" in terms of their artistic creativity (and in her case it was). That being said, have you checked out Free Kitten's new album? It may not be a proper SY release, but the brilliance of tracks such as "Monster Eye" has me almost wondering who the real musical visionary in Sonic Youth is.
Either I don't understand the point of "repping," or I do and it really is pointless. Fortunately I'm colorblind, so it wouldn't make sense to concern myself with being concerned about it in the first place.

www.myspace.com/koolthing78
koolthing78 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 09:51 AM   #14
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
they have just done a pretty big tour playing their most loved (is it? not by me) record from start to finish. Released a live recording with another on the way, done a solo record (thurston) and other projects (kim) too. I dont kinow how you can feel let down by them, or pissed off that you've had to wait for 'new' music.

been pretty busy if you ask me.
if you want to be pissed off, try not having a record player and haveing to guess what SYR7 sounds like
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 10:15 AM   #15
Sucklechimp
little trouble girl

Man, that's weird - I was just listening to some of Whip-Smart 30 minutes ago and thinking about how cool of a record it is. Dogs of L.A., Shane... Liz was such an amazing songwriter. I disagree with you though, I don't care how old those songs were, or whatever. They are amazing songs! Yes, she completely sucks now... But she really should properly release her Girlysounds stuff. I lost my Juvenalia CD long ago and I want to hear Animal Girl so bad.
Old 05.29.2008, 10:19 AM   #16
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
SY keep releasing stuff that new to you. Whats the big deal. I actually have been super impressed by the band in the last three years...
Old 05.29.2008, 11:39 AM   #17
tasteinmen
bad moon rising

tasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's asses
I like it when bands release older unreleased material, it gives me a sense of what else was going on at the time... You should be greatful SY are constantly releasing stuff, I can't stand it when a band goes through a quiet stage... I wish Placebo would get of their arses and put something out for the fans during this long album gap.
tasteinmen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 04:43 PM   #18
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
it's all relative. time is unreal.
Old 05.29.2008, 07:41 PM   #19
xxlouiisxx
little trouble girl

xxlouiisxx cold hard suckaxxlouiisxx cold hard suckaxxlouiisxx cold hard suckaxxlouiisxx cold hard suckaxxlouiisxx cold hard suckaxxlouiisxx cold hard suckaxxlouiisxx cold hard suckaxxlouiisxx cold hard suckaxxlouiisxx cold hard suckaxxlouiisxx cold hard suckaxxlouiisxx cold hard sucka
Will SYR7 have a CD release soon or in 5 years lol ?
xxlouiisxx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 08:59 PM   #20
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
the only SYR's i enjoy are 1, goodbye 20th century and 7.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth