Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page A fresh Hits Are For Squares thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.21.2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003806843

Sonic Youth Sets Track List For Starbucks Compilation

Sonic Youth

May 21, 2008, 4:40 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Sonic Youth has finalized the track list for its compilation "Hits Are for Squares," due June 10 exclusively in Starbucks stores in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., as well as online.

In addition to the exclusive Sonic Youth track "Slow Revolution," the limited-edition CD features Sonic Youth songs, handpicked by Radiohead, Chloe Sevigny, Dave Eggers, Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder, Beck, Flea, David Cross and other enthusiasts. Participants have also written about their selections for the liner notes.

"I guess, for some, Sonic Youth represents something that they don't really equate with Starbucks," Moore told Billboard last year. "But I kind of like the absurdity of it. Sonic Youth has always, in a way, made itself available to the super mainstream."

"In a way, Sonic Youth has a branded name," he continued. "People know the name, but not necessarily our music, which might be a little too outsider for some. And when they do hear a little something, it doesn't tell the whole story. I thought it would be interesting to have a CD available in a store like Starbucks where the casual consumer can sort of have access to [our music] more readily."

"From my experience nothing gets you going like putting on 'Teenage Riot' at full volume ... 0 to 60, standing still," Vedder writes of his choice. "Play it twice and you will have cleaned the house and shoveled the walk. In a car you'll find yourself doing 95 and getting pulled over before the first chorus."

Sonic Youth has a few shows lined up this summer, including a July 4 gig with the reunited Feelies at New York's Battery Park.

Here is the track list for "Hits Are for Squares:"

"Bull in the Heather," selected by Catherine Keener
"Sugar Kane," selected by Beck
"100%," selected by Mike D
"Kool Thing," selected by Radiohead
"Disappearer," selected by Portia De Rossi
"Superstar," selected by Diablo Cody
"Stones," selected by Allison Anders
"Tuff Gnarl," selected by Dave Eggers and Mike Watt
"Teenage Riot," selected by Eddie Vedder
"Shadow of a Doubt," selected by Michelle Williams
"Rain on Tin," selected by Flea
"Tom Violence," selected by Gus Van Zant
"Mary-Christ," selected by David Cross
"World Looks Red," selected by Chloe Sevigny
"Expressway to Yr Skull," selected by Flaming Lips
"Slow Revolution," exclusive new Sonic Youth recording
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 04:45 PM   #2
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I remember Eddie Vedder Playing "Teenage riot" back on the piarte radio days...Monkeywrench...

You could hear him drop the needle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003806843

Sonic Youth Sets Track List For Starbucks Compilation

Sonic Youth

May 21, 2008, 4:40 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Sonic Youth has finalized the track list for its compilation "Hits Are for Squares," due June 10 exclusively in Starbucks stores in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., as well as online.

In addition to the exclusive Sonic Youth track "Slow Revolution," the limited-edition CD features Sonic Youth songs, handpicked by Radiohead, Chloe Sevigny, Dave Eggers, Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder, Beck, Flea, David Cross and other enthusiasts. Participants have also written about their selections for the liner notes.

"I guess, for some, Sonic Youth represents something that they don't really equate with Starbucks," Moore told Billboard last year. "But I kind of like the absurdity of it. Sonic Youth has always, in a way, made itself available to the super mainstream."

"In a way, Sonic Youth has a branded name," he continued. "People know the name, but not necessarily our music, which might be a little too outsider for some. And when they do hear a little something, it doesn't tell the whole story. I thought it would be interesting to have a CD available in a store like Starbucks where the casual consumer can sort of have access to [our music] more readily."

"From my experience nothing gets you going like putting on 'Teenage Riot' at full volume ... 0 to 60, standing still," Vedder writes of his choice. "Play it twice and you will have cleaned the house and shoveled the walk. In a car you'll find yourself doing 95 and getting pulled over before the first chorus."

Sonic Youth has a few shows lined up this summer, including a July 4 gig with the reunited Feelies at New York's Battery Park.

Here is the track list for "Hits Are for Squares:"

Old 05.21.2008, 04:59 PM   #3
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Ha, Radiohead are there are chose Kool Thing? I guess that makes sense in a similar way to The Bends like Just or something.

And I'm glad Flaming Lips are doing an EVOL song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReNnBNetlsY
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 05:42 PM   #4
hiland
children of satan

hiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asses
oooh diablo picked superstar....way to go out on a limb there.
hiland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 06:14 PM   #5
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
You always do it up so right...thanks for the freshie, freshy fresh (Moshe).
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 06:56 PM   #6
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Me and Beck have the same favourite SY song.

TALK ABOUT ON THE SAME PAGE
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 07:27 PM   #7
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses

????????????

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 07:31 PM   #8
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HECKLER SPRAY

????????????

He's into musical wanking, isn't he? Rain On Tin comes close to it.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 07:44 PM   #9
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, you must be right, Danny. I'm also surprised he knows this song/this band...

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 08:25 PM   #10
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Heh, I remember seeing Flea at the side of the stage for the Mike Watt,
Stereolab and SY performances at ATP LA 6 years ago. Why wouldn't he
know about them? They've only been making music for several hundred
years.
Old 05.21.2008, 08:32 PM   #11
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Heh, I remember seeing Flea at the side of the stage for the Mike Watt,
Stereolab and SY performances at ATP LA 6 years ago. Why wouldn't he
know about them? They've only been making music for several hundred
years.

hell yeah, i was talking to flea outside right before the secondmen came on!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 09:18 PM   #12
skipvacuum
stalker

skipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's asses
happy to see some confirmation on whats up with this,after moshe had posted that starbucks cut back their music thingee considerably i didn't think this might make it..thanks again moshe,i had asked about it on the other "HITS" thread but it went kooky...i wrote starbucks this morning and got an almost instant reply with this
Thank you for your interest in Starbucks Entertainment.
The Sonic Youth Compilation will be available in certain markets on
6/10.
You may purchase the release through our website on the morning of
release.
http://www.hearmusic.com groovey
Old 05.21.2008, 09:59 PM   #13
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Hurray! Thanks for the info (and new thread), Moshe! There are some surprising choices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe

Four great, but challenging songs picked by 4 actresses. Interesting!

Quote:

While it's also interesting that this group basically selected the band's biggest singles. (I guess yes, "Bull" and "Disappearer" were singles, but not on the scale as these 3) Really? Radiohead chose "Kool Thing"? I mean.. I don't actually listen to Radiohead but I would've pegged them for a more adventurous pick, no? Alright... I love "Sugar Kane", but surprised it was Beck's pick.

Quote:

Right on, these are great songs that give a fine recorded representation of the band's many sounds.

Quote:

Ha! "World Looks Red" is still weirder though.

Quote:

These are just bizarre. But okay! Can't wait to see who picked a Lee song...

Quote:

Hurray! What we're all anticipating the most. And it's right around the corner!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 10:14 PM   #14
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by o'connor
hell yeah, i was talking to flea outside right before the secondmen came on!

Blood Sugar Sex Magic is dedicated to Mike Watt. It says so in the liner notes. And Good Time Boys (another Chili Peppers song) mentions fIREHOSE by name.
Old 05.21.2008, 11:04 PM   #15
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
Moshe. Whoa, yeah!

Oh. Excellent. Interesting that Kim, T-M, LR, and Mr. Shelley couldn't get any professionals, African-American names, professors, technicians, designers into the new thing at STARBUCKS
COFFEE.

Kim
Lee
Steve
Thurston
Professional
European
Baby
Easter
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 11:30 PM   #16
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Okay, I might have taken this a bit far...but the new track is 10 minutes or less. Which is okay. I'm interested to hear how it sounds.
Old 05.21.2008, 11:49 PM   #17
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
did I mention that Slow Revolution has Kim vox?
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 11:53 PM   #18
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
This "Celebrety selection" thing is so fake.

Yeah, sure, they honestly asked each of these artists to pick their favorite SY song, and amazingly it came out with a list of their most popular singles (yeah, with "Tuff Gnarl" in place of "Schizophrenia", but that's the only exception!) Hmm, could it be that the A&R team who put this together spoke to the managers of these acts and asked if their names could be associated with these particular songs? I believe the write-ups came from the real artists (after their songs were assigned to them), and maybe Watt even demanded to at least get to pick another song from Sister besides the single, but overall the whole thing is obviously completely put together.

Good songs? Sure. The ones the label always got most behind like every other greatest hits album ever.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2008, 01:26 AM   #19
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
That song selection is kinda... meh...

I'll pick it up for the new track though.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2008, 01:56 AM   #20
sarramkrop

Thanks Moshe.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth