Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page forming pieces from electronic manipulations
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.23.2006, 07:10 AM   #1
doctor dan
bad moon rising

doctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's asses
iv been messing around with manipulating samples of guitar and ambience for a while now, adding noise modulation, grain delay and other general tweakings (mainly using spongefork and ableton). Ive created some beautiful sounds, but at the moment thats all they are, beautiful sounds. do you guys have any ideas or experience over how to craft these into pieces. im not talking songs, obviously, but just pieces that hang cohesively and develop in an interesting way. ill try and upload some when im back home with my broadband connection, as opposed to my shitty wireless.
Old 03.23.2006, 11:47 AM   #2
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
that's interesting man, that's what I do, basically, too.

i just use different means...I abuse in Cubase and FL Studio

I can yousendit some of my ambient works to you if you wanna. maybe we can share samples and do some sort of collaboration or so.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2006, 01:28 PM   #3
saoq
bad moon rising

saoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to behold
you are asking about the form/structure of the pieces. i guess you can listen and actually pay close attention to structured electronic manip./ drone/ambient pieces- say jim o'rourke 's "1 2 3 .." . other than i think you have to come w/ something up on you're own since there aren't any standard formulas

and a tip on another level: w/ a program that allows live input - such as audiomulch, put a cable in the line in, and a cable in the line out. Touching both w/ varying pressure through the effect/modulations set up creates some crazy - and *really* loud so be careful* soundscapes.
saoq is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2006, 01:31 PM   #4
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
What my band does is usually have different feedbacks consistent throughout the song, then do cool electronic stuff over the feedback as well as add drums and other sounds using FL Studio and a Sampler
Old 03.23.2006, 02:30 PM   #5
doctor dan
bad moon rising

doctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's asses
cool thats some good tips, thanks. at the moment my main inspirations for this style work are things like fennesz and keith fullerton whitman. id be more than happy to trade samples with peeps, but im on a really slow/shite wireless connection here at uni, so itd have to be via snail mail. pm me.

ooo i should also point out that i use an apple ibook, so some programs (such as fl and audiomulch) are unavailable to me. i dont mind tho, as it means i can run spongefork, which is an intensely powerful sample modualation/theremin/sampler/filter type affair.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth