Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Disco and electronic music in general
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.22.2006, 10:16 AM   #121
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
No.Spookie?

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2006, 10:16 AM   #122
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
spookie?

Old 08.22.2006, 10:17 AM   #123
porkmarras
invito al cielo

spookie?

Old 08.22.2006, 10:17 AM   #124
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
so, what was the very first electronica song?
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2006, 10:19 AM   #125
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Was it Da Da Da by Trio?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2006, 10:20 AM   #126
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Raymond Scott?

Old 08.22.2006, 10:20 AM   #127
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
jean-michel jarre
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2006, 10:20 AM   #128
porkmarras
invito al cielo

i'm probably wrong.

Old 08.22.2006, 10:21 AM   #129
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Tell me about Kaffe Matthews Porky.

I've heard this is supposed to be very good:

Old 08.22.2006, 10:22 AM   #130
Pookie
invito al cielo

Edgard Varese?
Old 08.22.2006, 10:22 AM   #131
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Kontakte by Karlheinz Stockhausen (1959)?
Old 08.22.2006, 10:23 AM   #132
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
pierre schaeffer?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2006, 10:24 AM   #133
Pookie
invito al cielo

Anybody got any of Sub Rosa Anthologies of Noise and Electronic Music?
Old 08.22.2006, 10:25 AM   #134
Pookie
invito al cielo

Porky?
Old 08.22.2006, 10:32 AM   #135
Pookie
invito al cielo

The first electronic instrument is often viewed to be the Theremin, invented by Professor Leon Theremin circa 1919 - 1920. Another early electronic instrument was the Ondes Martenot, which was used in the Turangalīla-Symphonie by Olivier Messiaen and also by other, primarily French, composers such as Andre Jolivet.

I'm boring myself now.
Old 08.22.2006, 10:40 AM   #136
sonicl
invito al cielo

You seem to have overlooked Thaddeus Cahill's Teleharmonium.

http://www.synthmuseum.com/magazine/0102jw.html
Old 08.22.2006, 10:43 AM   #137
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Porky?
Here i am(i was out for a fag).this is the first Kaffe Matthews album that i've ever bought wich i've found in a bin for 2 quid:

It is mainly made of recordings in fields(Kent if i remember right) and improvised electro acoustic music in a Stoke Newington church.This was a while before our Kaffe became the queen of the Wire magazine.I didn't know anything about her.It just kinda described the music that it contained on the back of the sleeve and i thought that it might be a good record.A few years later i was chatting to this guy in a bar and it turns out that he worked for the government in a profession that is meant to assest the motivations for creating of many artists in Britain(believe it or not,there is such a profession in this country).While we talked about music,Kaffe's name came out and he happened to be a friend of hers.He gave me the NASA record as a present as well as a Yoko Ono peace badge wich,as you can probably imagine,i never wear.

Old 08.22.2006, 10:54 AM   #138
Pookie
invito al cielo

I didn't include that because I couldn't find any record of it being used as an instrument in a piece of music. I'm very thorough you know.
Old 08.22.2006, 11:03 AM   #139
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Here i am(i was out for a fag).this is the first Kaffe Matthews album that i've ever bought wich i've found in a bin for 2 quid:

It is mainly made of recordings in fields(Kent if i remember right) and improvised electro acoustic music in a Stoke Newington church.This was a while before our Kaffe became the queen of the Wire magazine.I didn't know anything about her.It just kinda described the music that it contained on the back of the sleeve and i thought that it might be a good record.A few years later i was chatting to this guy in a bar and it turns out that he worked for the government in a profession that is meant to assest the motivations for creating of many artists in Britain(believe it or not,there is such a profession in this country).While we talked about music,Kaffe's name came out and he happened to be a friend of hers.He gave me the NASA record as a present as well as a Yoko Ono peace badge wich,as you can probably imagine,i never wear.

Good story, it was worth the wait.
Old 08.22.2006, 11:08 AM   #140
porkmarras
invito al cielo

You're watching an old horror movie, and as the creature approaches the teenagers sitting in the car, you suddenly hear from the screen a shrill, wavy sound, like a sharp, vibrating bow ... a mysterious sound that's hard to identify. Like this.

That's the sound of a theremin, and it's unlike any instrument you've ever heard or seen before. The theremin has no moving parts, and you don't touch it to play it ... you make sounds by moving your hands through a field of electromagnetism!

The theremin was the first electronic instrument ever made, and it was invented by a Russian-born cellist and engineer named Lev Termen in 1920. (His name was later anglicized to Leon Theremin). At the right you can see Termen playing his instrument, which was a large radio-like cabinet with two antennas protruding from it, one horizontally and another vertically.

Music is produced by waving your hands near the two antennas; the instrument contains no moving parts. The theremin produces electric fields surrounding each of the two antennas; these fields are affected by the proximity of some other object, like a hand. Moving your hand varies the sound, as explained below.

When a hand is brought into the sensitive electric field surrounding the vertical antenna, sounds are produced. These are amplified through a loudspeaker. As the hand approaches the antenna, the pitch of the sounds becomes higher; as the hand is with-drawn, the pitch becomes lower.

As a hand approaches the horizontal antenna, the loudness decreases; as the hand is moved away from the antenna, the power is increased, to an intensity exceeding that of the most powerful stringed instrument.

No special knowledge is needed to play it ... anyone who can hum or whistle a tune can play the theremin. But it requires practice to play well.

The theremin does not sound like any other single instrument. Vibrato, glissando and other musical effects are accomplished easily, and it can produce not merely quarter tones, but infinitesimal divisions of tone. Its range is about three octaves.
When playing low tones, it can be made to sound like a bassoon or string bass. In the mid-range of frequencies, it is very similar in sound to a cello; at higher ranges it imitates the violin and flute. At its highest frequencies, the theremin sounds very much like a soprano human voice.
By rapidly changing the tones being played, the resulting combinations of sounds can only be described as 'other-worldly' ... there is nothing else like it.

The inventor Termen produced other unusual instruments as well, including the terpsitone, the rhythmicon, an electronic cello, an electronic harmonium, and even an eye-controlled theremin. He also taught other people to play the theremin; one of his first pupils, Clara Rockmore, became 'the prime theremin virtuoso of the twentieth century'.

Inside the instrument, besides the electric field generator, there is a tone generator and an amplifier. The first theremins contained vacuum tubes to amplify the sounds, but most modern ones are use transistors.

Robert Moog, a pioneer designer and manufacturer of commercial music synthesizers, began his career by building and selling versions of the theremin in the 1960s. In the last decade, the instrument has become very popular.

But the theremin was a neglected instrument during the first half of the last century. Its unusual sound was made use of mostly by movie producers, who used it in such movies as 'Lost Weekend', 'The Day The Earth Stood Still', 'The Thing', and 'Alice in Wonderland'. By the mid 1960's, however, the music industry had discovered the instrument, and since then has been featured in the music of various artists, including 'Good Vibrations' by the Beach Boys, 'Whole Lotta Love' by Led Zeppelin, and more recently, The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Pere Ubu, Phish, and The Lothars.
Visit the website of Caroline Eyck, who performs classical music on the theremin.

In the past decade, new advances in the field of electronic music have seen the development of synthesizers, drum machines and samplers ... but Termen's theremin was the original electronic instrument, and its sound remains unique.
According to Jason Barile, of the Center for Intelligent Systems (CIS), at Vanderbilt School of Engineering, "When you play a theremin, you essentially become part of the circuit. The simplicity of the design is the most interesting technical aspect of the instrument... there are no mechanical or moving parts involved; it’s just pure electricity."

Are you intrigued? Before you rush out and buy yourself a theremin, why not try one, right here on your computer? We found a unique little program that allows you to actually play a theremin and hear what it sounds like!

When you run the program, you'll see a couple of introductory screens, and then you can start it up using the arrow (0).

The theremin is turned on using the switch labelled 'weirdness' (1).
All the other buttons (3, 4, 6) just add ordinary music and rhythm, as background.

The screen shows Termen playing a theremin; you can animate his arms using a button (2), and see a graphic display of the frequencies being generated (5).

Play the theremin, changing the tone and volume, by moving your mouse pointer up and down or left and right, across the full width of your monitor. Turn your volume way up, and you will be amazed at the sounds you can make!

Get the theremin program (705k, zipped)

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth