Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.09.2022, 04:35 PM   #25321
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
I gotchu:

https://tubitv.com/movies/460618/can...ungle-of-death
Old 10.11.2022, 11:12 AM   #25322
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2022, 02:11 PM   #25323
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
True ^

People were obsessed with poetry, poetry slams, and live poetry readings [...)
haha i read the article which mentions nuyorican poets café jajaja. thanks for the link. brings back great memories. a pity that mtv eventually gave up music and turned into a cesspool of "reality" fecal matter. the article writer misunderstood beavis and butthead i think: they were meant as satire not role models.

i remember king missile's detachable penis, a very funny song. he lost it at a party i think and found it in a flea market in st marks place or something? can't remember now the exact chain of events. i will give it a listen for the lols.

cigarette butt: holy relic?

=

so anyway i ended up watching empire records the other day, after all.

it was certainly not a good movie. part of it was a bit of a refry of the breakfast club, which i hate already--the we all have something in common and the little dances and shit, with the store owner as the failed villain. thst was contrived. it had too much zellweger, who was pretty, but annoyed the fuck out of me for some reason when she was younger. and she's unconvincing as a self described "slut." the people gathering in the streets to save the store was fucking ridiculous.

but on the other hand, i found it charming. the robert palmer parody character was a hilarious idea. of course kim did it better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7TuWdHNsYY lol but it was another concept altogether. the kid who is wearing a lou reed look at the beginning was somewhat funny. the thief, warren, who would later go on to play pecker's shoplifting friend, was pretty great. the little gwar sequence was stupid funny. liv tyler in her fuzzy powder blue sweater was more than nice lol, who knew that she'd be an elf some day? the blurry patti smith poster on the wall was the best of it. the shaved head girl from the craft and her problems was... familiar, lol.

so yeah i... it was a badly made movie, but it was ok having it on the teevee while maybe doing other stuff. not quite a guilty pleasure--meaning it was fun at times but not that pleasurable, but i'm not feeling guilty about liking it somewhat either.
Old 10.12.2022, 05:58 AM   #25324
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
This weekend we watched …
Arachnophobia: Holds up, surprisingly! Good old Jeff Daniels and John Goodman!

Dawn of the Dead 2004: Simply not a good film, but also not Zack Snyder’s worst film. Still — decidedly not good, in, like, a bunch of ways. Shit acting, shit effects, dumb and super-high-contrast-early-2000s lookin’, green and orange hues all over the place. Anyway, bad but not the worst (aka shit but not diarrhea)

Hellraiser 2022: Wow, really surprisingly well done but also … I think I’m getting too old for proper *horror*-horror. Parts of it were just really upsetting and hard to watch. I imagine I’d feel the same way upon a rewatch of the original Hellraiser or Hellraiser II. It’s just not really in me anymore.

I think at this point I vastly prefer horror movies that either work as human dramas irrespective of horror elements (Let The Right One In, The VVitch), or dumb but knowingly so horror-action films that contain plenty of humor — movies that are fun and not completely disheartening, when there’s someone to root for (for example, Ready or Not was a good old time)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2022, 06:08 AM   #25325
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

^the original hellraiser was fucking terrible. in your classification system, "diarrhea."

let the right one in (the original swedish one anyway) was pretty great.
Old 10.12.2022, 08:36 AM   #25326
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Horror films are either for people who have gone through trauma and want to feel some sort of catharsis, or they are for people who have not gone through any trauma yet, and therefore do not relate to the horrors within.

Let the Right One In was amazing. (original).

on the air broadcast TV channel Movies!, they broadcast Night of the Living Dead! The OG! Brain eating, al sorts of crazy shit, without any edits! It did start at 11 PM, but damn! younger me would never have imagined.
Old 10.12.2022, 04:43 PM   #25327
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
^the original hellraiser was fucking terrible. in your classification system, "diarrhea."

let the right one in (the original swedish one anyway) was pretty great.

I kinda believe it. I haven’t seen it in forever, but I remember liking it despite a BUNCH of B-movie soap opera bullshit.

Let The Right One In is the original version.
The remake is called Let Me In, and it’s meh
Old 10.12.2022, 04:47 PM   #25328
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Horror films are either for people who have gone through trauma and want to feel some sort of catharsis, or they are for people who have not gone through any trauma yet, and therefore do not relate to the horrors within.

Let the Right One In was amazing. (original).

on the air broadcast TV channel Movies!, they broadcast Night of the Living Dead! The OG! Brain eating, al sorts of crazy shit, without any edits! It did start at 11 PM, but damn! younger me would never have imagined.

I appreciate a well-crafted tension-based horror movie. I’ve been through veritable metric shit-tons of trauma and if anything it’s made me less responsive to real upsetting horror.

I’m a renegade tho
Old 10.13.2022, 10:27 AM   #25329
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I cannot watch any film where the director chooses to hover over a rape.

You can show a person being assaulted without actually showing us 5 minutes of torture.
Old 10.13.2022, 01:00 PM   #25330
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

You can show a person being assaulted without actually showing us 5 minutes of torture.
same, that kind of thing will make me turn off the movie.

except one time, when almodóvar went to the edge of art and made a funny rape in "kika". it wasn't a "real" rape, there was no portrayal of suffering, there was a rape happening but it had a hilarious dialogue and broke all conventions, so most of the audience was laughing at the absurdity of the situation.

i went with a group, and after the movie one of the women protested earnestly that "a woman getting raped is never funny," but the woman i was with at the time said that while in real life this was true, *this* movie rape was a funny one regardless. so it was ideologically "wrong" but artistically successful i guess. i can't explain it, nor recreate the humor by narration, but i know funny when i see it, and that was very funny back then. also the fact that someone would have the gumption to try and make a rape funny was hilarious in itself. [eta: think "the aristocrats"]

unfortunately it's hard to find the movie in the usa these days, perhaps because of that scene, or because of something else, i don't know. but i've been wanting to rewatch it and see if i get the same reaction 100000 years later, because some things just age poorly, but so far no luck.
Old 10.13.2022, 07:03 PM   #25331
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Same, fuck rape movies
Old 10.13.2022, 07:32 PM   #25332
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
I delved into Ari Aster: Hereditary and Midsommer. These were fucking great! Not flawless, but very enjoyable/rewatchable.
Old 10.13.2022, 07:39 PM   #25333
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

re: kika https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...140-story.html

the comparison to john waters! hahahaha. yes.
Old 10.13.2022, 11:30 PM   #25334
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Halloween Ends...it ended...perhaps thankfully. hmm...
Old 10.15.2022, 04:44 PM   #25335
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

alien

yes, the original riddley scott/dan o'bannon heir to the john carpenter/o'bannon student film "dark star"

first time i saw it, it was on a rental vhs in a cathode ray tv no bigger than a microwave oven. every time i've seen it since it looks better and i love it more.

brilliant fucking film--dark, foreboding, mysterious, often scary quiet, a visual wonder. the editing, fuck, it's so good... great cast, great story, great everything. dare i say a masterpiece? yes, i do. masterpiece.

---

now i'm *trying* to watch the james cameron sequel, "alienS", and it comes across as a loud, stupid, ordinary piece of shit. 23m into it and i'm wondering if i can finish it...
Old 10.15.2022, 05:31 PM   #25336
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

Alien to Aliens goes from scifi/horror to action/horror
Old 10.15.2022, 05:50 PM   #25337
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Alien to Aliens goes from scifi/horror to action/horror
so far it seems more like "gold to shit" lol

like this fucking "marine" crew acts as professional as the clows from "stripes". for laughs i guess, but annoying.

-

40m in, nothing interesting whatsoever has happened yet

the best thing so far have been shots of machines operating

-

at 45m something flew by and i finally felt something. more of a reflex than an emotion. and now there's a feral kid. big yawn lol. i guess it was put there to help middle america connect with the story or something.

-

fell asleep, started again, at 59' i quit lol
Old 10.15.2022, 08:39 PM   #25338
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

The Neverending Story
The Mummy
Old 10.16.2022, 05:06 PM   #25339
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

10 Things I Hate About You
Cruel Intentions
Old 10.16.2022, 06:35 PM   #25340
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Cruel Intentions
ever read the original novel? les liaisons dangereuses? fucking brilliant. it's all told through letters. fucking evil people. man!

the guy who wrote it was a fortress designer. yes, fortresses. the novel is similar in more than one way--it's supersophisticatedly complex and designed to kill XD
767116712171257126412651266 1267 1268126912701277 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth