Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.07.2017, 11:01 AM   #4581
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
you missed the point of the story and spoiled the ending. it was i think the first detective story ever.

sherlock holmes, etc, all came after.

i'm sorry about your dad's unfortunate timing lololololol

how old were you?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2017, 11:11 AM   #4582
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Not sure. 10? Anyway, props to a story for giving me nightmares. This is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure it's happened since.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2017, 11:19 AM   #4583
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Anthologies are aight. I have a great Borges short story anthology that I swiped from my stepdad so I could talk to Symbols about stuff.

Often, though, I find that anthologies are best for either introductory or mega-fan/completist purposes. I am a big fan of literary SF mindblower Gene Wolfe. After I read all of his novels, I felt like a part of mylife had ended, but my girlfriend bought me a copy of his "Book of Days," a collection of letters, essays, rare or out of print short stories, and poems, and it was like getting a big old dose of methadone in the middle of a heroin withdrawal. Not quite the right medicine, but it helped the symptoms quite a bit. I've been cherry-picking segments from that book and reading one every week or so to extend the "halflife" of the book, as I try to adjust to life without new Gene Wolfe. (He's still writing new stuff every once in a while, but it's been gradually decreasing in quality since the early '00s.)

The Borges anthology served as an excellent introduction though. So, yeah... beginners and experts are best served by the anthology.

Weren't we talking about Hemingway though? I would not start on Hemingway an anthology.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2017, 11:21 AM   #4584
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Not sure. 10? Anyway, props to a story for giving me nightmares. This is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure it's happened since.

poe gave nightmares to generations to come.

the mask of the red death! the black cat! the pit and the pendulum!

ha ha you know roger corman made these into movies? and the french loved him for it ha ha ha.

poe was an extraordinary writer, was there at the founding of the modern short story genre, introduced america to a bunch of dark shit, got a million kids into cryptography, invented the detective story, was a great poet and critic and literary theorist.

the guy had brains, and more imagination than the whole XX century put together. all we do is refry his shit now and ignore the source.

except for nabokov who did pay homage.

i need to look up poe again. he's become some sort of cultural cartoon figure at this point, only because he was so good this is how people had to exorcise him.
Old 03.07.2017, 11:44 AM   #4585
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
poe gave nightmares to generations to come.

i need to look up poe again. he's become some sort of cultural cartoon figure at this point, only because he was so good this is how people had to exorcise him.

Yeah. Ever seen that movie with John Cusak playing Poe? Portrayed him as a real goon. Also did some pretty wild speculation about his death. Yay Hollywood.
Old 03.07.2017, 11:52 AM   #4586
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah. Ever seen that movie with John Cusak playing Poe? Portrayed him as a real goon. Also did some pretty wild speculation about his death. Yay Hollywood.
no i didn't. are you joking or "for serious"?

holy shit you're serious! (i just googled)

no idea about that movie.

i don't wanna see it lol

===

as for borges anthologies which ones did you read? and did you know that there's a weird story about the rights to borges translations?

his widow, apparently... oooofff! i'd better not say.

but i'm curious about what you wrote.

i wouldn't recommend borges in an anthology. rather, i'm the anthology, and would say: this book, that book, etc.
Old 03.07.2017, 12:10 PM   #4587
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
The Library where I work gets all the good shit. I am reading Grant Morrison's INVISIBLES Omnibus.

Old 03.07.2017, 01:23 PM   #4588
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
well, an anthology of one author is often OK, but the ones with the editors choice I'm usually appalled at their choices.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2017, 01:37 PM   #4589
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
well, an anthology of one author is often OK, but the ones with the editors choice I'm usually appalled at their choices.
same here
Old 03.07.2017, 02:26 PM   #4590
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Lee K. Abbott
One of Star Wars, One of Doom

Conrad Aiken
Silent Snow, Secret Snow
Dorothy Allison
Jason Who Will Be Famou
Sherwood Anderson
Want to Know Why

Margaret Atwood
Death by Landscape
James Baldwin
Sonny’s Blues
Toni Cade Bambara
Gorilla, My Love
Andrea Barrett
The Littoral Zone
Donald Barthelme
Me and Miss Mandible
Richard Bausch
Letter to the Lady of the House
Charles Baxter
The Disappeared
Ann Beattie
Snow

Madison Smart Bell
Witness
Wendall Berry
A Burden
Ambrose Bierce
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
Jorge Luis Borges
Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote

Ray Bradbury
The Veldt
Frederick Busch
Bread

Truman Capote
Miriam
Raymond Carver
The Student’s Wife
Cathedral

R. V. Cassill
The Rationing of Love
Willa Cather
A Wagner Matinee
Paul’s Case
John Cheever
The Enormous Radio
The Death of Justina
Anton Chekhov
Gusev
Anna on the Neck

Kate Chopin
The Story of an Hour
Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)
The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County
The Invalid’s Story
Joseph Conrad
Heart of Darkness
Julio Cortázar
Letter to a Young Woman in Paris
Stephen Crane
The Open Boat
The Blue Hotel
Edwidge Danticat
A Wall of Fire Rising
Anita Desai
Royalt
James Dickey
There Was an Old Man Over at Choestoe
Isak Dinesen
Sorrow-Acre
Andre Dubus
The Intruder
Stuart Dybek
We Didn’t
Ralph Ellison
King of the Bingo Game
Louise Erdrich
Matchimanito
Percival Everett
The Fix**
William Faulkner
Barn Burning
A Rose for Emily

F. Scott Fitzgerald
Babylon Revisited
Richard Ford
Privacy
Great Falls

Mary E. Wilkins Freeman
A New England Nun
Mavis Gallant
The Ice Wagon Coming Down the Street
George Garrett
Feeling Good, Feeling Fine
Charlotte Perkins Gilman
The Yellow Wallpaper
Nadine Gordimer
A Soldier’s Embrace

Allan Gurganus
Nativity, Caucasian
Barry Hannah
Sick Soldier at Your Door
Nathaniel Hawthorne
Young Goodman Brown
The Birthmark
Ernest Hemingway
Hills Like White Elephants
Amy Hempel
In the Cemetery Where Al Jolson is Buried

Alice Hoffman
The Wedding and Snow and Ice
Zora Neale Hurston
The Conscience of the Court
Shirley Jackson
The Lottery
Henry James
The Real Thing
Ruth Prawer Jhabvala
Passion
Charles Johnson
Moving Pictures
Edward P. Jones
A New Man
James Joyce
Araby
The Dead
Franz Kafka
The Metamorphosis
A Hunger Artist
Yasunari Kawabata
The White Horse
A.L. Kennedy
Not Anything To Do With Love
Jamaica Kincaid
Girl
Jhumpa Lahiri
Hell-Heaven
Ring Lardner
Ex Parte
D. H. Lawrence
The Horse Dealer’s Daughter
The Rocking Horse Winner

Ursula K. Le Guin
The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas
Doris Lessing
To Room Nineteen
John L’Heureux
Brief Lives in California
Sandra Tsing Loh
My Father’s Chinese Wives
Bernard Malamud
Angel Levine
Katherine Mansfield
The Garden Party
Bobbie Ann Mason
Shiloh
Guy de Maupassant
Boule de Suif
An Adventure in Paris
William Maxwell
The Thistles in Sweden
Jill McCorkle
Intervention
Thomas McGuane
Cowboy
T.M. McNally
Bastogne
James Alan McPherson
Why I Like Country Music
Herman Melville
Bartleby, the Scrivener
Bharati Mukherjee
The Management of Grief
Alice Munro
Royal Beatings
Miles City, Montana
Sabina Murray
Position
Vladimir Nabokov
Signs and Symbols
Joyce Carol Oates
How I Contemplated the World...

Convalescing
Tim O’Brien
The Things They Carried
How to Tell a True War Story
Flannery O’Connor
A Good Man Is Hard to Find
Good Country People
Frank O’Connor
Guests of the Nation
Tillie Olsen
O Yes
Grace Paley
The Used-Boy Raisers

Jayne Anne Phillips
El Paso
Luigi Pirandello
War
Edgar Allan Poe
The Fall of the House of Usher
The Purloined Letter
Katherine Anne Porter
The Jilting of Granny Weatherall
Flowering Judas
V. S. Pritchett
The Fall
Annie Proulx
What Kind of Furniture Would Jesus Pick?
Ron Rash
Their Ancient, Glittering Eyes
Agnes Rossi
Morpheus
Philip Roth
The Conversion of the Jews
George Saunders
Victory Lap

James Salter
Give
Danzy Senna
Admission
Irwin Shaw
The Girls in Their Summer Dresses
Jean Shepherd
Lost at C
Isaac Bashevis Singer
Gimpel the Fool

Jane Smiley
The Life of the Body
Lee Smith
Intensive Care
Elizabeth Spencer
Wisteria
Jean Stafford
In the Zoo

John Steinbeck
The Chrysanthemums
Robert Stone
Under the Pitons
Elizabeth Strout
Pharmacy
Linda Svendsen
Marine Life
Amy Tan
Rules of the Game
Peter Taylor
A Spinster’s Tale
Leo Tolstoy
The Death of Ivan Ilych
William Trevor
Events at Drimaghleen
John Updike
A&P
Brother Grasshopper
Helena María Viramontes
The Moths
Alice Walker
Everyday Use
Robert Penn Warren
Blackberry Winter
Brad Watson
Visitation
Stephanie Powell Watts
Unassigned Territory
Eudora Welty
Why I Live at the P.
O.
A Worn Path
Edith Wharton
Xingu
Thomas Williams
Goose Pond
William Carlos Williams
The Use of Force

Tobias Wolff
In the Garden of the North American Martyrs
Bullet in the Brain
Virginia Woolf
Kew Gardens
Richard Wright
The Man Who Was Almost a Man
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2017, 02:32 PM   #4591
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

^^ is dat a copypaste of your norton anthology toc?

see instead of araby and the dead i'd say read all of dubliners

FO SHO

also pierre menard as the choice borges story? lollercoaster

fuck anthologies. they're like a reastaurant with too many dishes.

all you can eat buffet. no.

explore a great author then move on to the next

love, not serial fucking

maybe he should read more hemingway instead of looking for short stories in the arms of another

ha!
Old 03.10.2017, 09:18 AM   #4592
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I got to meet Area X author Jeff Vandermeer yesterday. He had a talk and reading at the UH Honors college, one of the cool perks to working at a University. He spoke at length about the themes he has been exploring since the writing of area X.

He also showed still images from the upcoming Annhihilation film.
Old 03.10.2017, 09:23 AM   #4593
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

BTW, when I walked up to Vandermeer to intgroduce myself he looked at me and said "Hi! I've seen you on the internet!" and it BLEW MY MIND

here are my reviews of his area x books http://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/search...f%20Vandermeer
Old 03.10.2017, 10:31 AM   #4594
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ha ha ha-- awesome, rob!
Old 03.10.2017, 12:41 PM   #4595
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I got to meet Area X author Jeff Vandermeer yesterday. He had a talk and reading at the UH Honors college, one of the cool perks to working at a University. He spoke at length about the themes he has been exploring since the writing of area X.

He also showed still images from the upcoming Annhihilation film.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT ROB!

How could you not have told me?!

(I got Rob into Jeff Vandermeer )...

Thanks awesome man. Just awesome! What did he say about the film? Based on everything I've heard about the cast (Natalie Portman as Biologist; Jennifer Jason Leigh as Psychologist), the director (dude who did Ex-Machina) -- not to mention the fucking MUSIC by Geoff Barrow of Portishead!! -- it's going to be fucking incredible.

Are they going to do all three, or just ANNIHILATION?

Did you tell him you got into his books through this awesome SY and Kanye fan names Severian who also does journalism-y stuff and should maybe work in publishing?

Seriously.
Answer my question.
Old 03.10.2017, 12:52 PM   #4596
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

he said so on his blog! didn't you see your name there?

"thank you to severino severales" etc etc
Old 03.10.2017, 02:01 PM   #4597
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT ROB!

How could you not have told me?!

Thanks awesome man. Just awesome! What did he say about the film? He said the film was cool yet weird for him. He stated that having a $50 million budget freaked him out while the movie people kept telling him that was a "small" film budget. He stated they shared a soundstage with the Star Wars films and that Star Wars filming was behind a massive giant metal door, and at the end of shooting they wold dump our a ton of set decorations used that day and the Anhihilation crew would steal the refuse and use it in the anhihilation movie. hahahahah.

Based on everything I've heard about the cast (Natalie Portman as Biologist; Jennifer Jason Leigh as Psychologist), the director (dude who did Ex-Machina) -- not to mention the fucking MUSIC by Geoff Barrow of Portishead!! -- it's going to be fucking incredible. - He said that he was shocked to see that the all-female cast is tiny people. He said that he was on set when the ladies first wore all their costuming and they walked towards him from about 20 feet away but they did not get any bigger, since they are all TINY, and it warped his visual spatial sense for a minute. He said that several of the actors read all three books before filming which was awesome for him as he expected none of them to read anything other than the script.

Are they going to do all three, or just ANNIHILATION? All Three, if the first one is good.

Did you tell him you got into his books through this awesome SY and Kanye fan names Severian who also does journalism-y stuff and should maybe work in publishing? Yes I did. First thing I said to him, besides hello, was that you introduced me to his work and that I read all three area x novels becuse of it. I handed him my card and asked him if he could to go read my reviews of his books, and let me know what his thoughts were. I did n't mention Kanye because I did not want Jeff Vandermeer to get the wrong impression of you. hahahahahhahah!

Seriously.
Answer my question.

quoted
Old 03.10.2017, 02:02 PM   #4598
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

he stated that every woman in the film is 5'2" tall.
Old 03.10.2017, 07:07 PM   #4599
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
he said so on his blog! didn't you see your name there?

"thank you to severino severales" etc etc

Yeah, I did. Hah. I read it. I was just giving him grief. He's repped me a few times on "RXTT's" ... just having a larf.

*larf, larf! Larfened he!*
Old 03.10.2017, 07:12 PM   #4600
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
quoted

Hahahaha!!!

Thanks man!! You're the best!

Super cool. I'm happy for you!

I feel like three films would be a challenge based on the way the books play out. They go against the heroe's journey that is so big in trilogies, what with shifting narratives and perspectives and getting weird as all fuck.

But since he first page of ANNIHILATION, I thought it could make an excellent bizarro speculative, philosophical horror piece. That's the best of the books, as I think you agreed back when we were reading them.

I'm so glad something I recommended actually made this big of an impression on you. That just makes me feel useful.

Nice Rob. Nice.
180220227228229 230 231232233240280 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth