Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Literature fans?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.28.2011, 06:57 AM   #1
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe there´s already thread about this.

I have always read quite a lot, although I nowdays I haven´t got time to read as much as I want. My favourite writers are Stephen King, J.R. Tolkien, Franz Kafka, Kurt Vonnegut, Feodor Dostojevksi, Mihail Bulgakov, Nikolai Gogol and Finnish writer Marko Tapio. I have also read some books from rock musicians for example the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Wigwam, Joy Division, Hurriganes. Now I read a book about famous Finnish guitarist Albert Järvinen (he played in Hurriganes).
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2011, 11:54 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Kafka and Vonnegut are sublime. If you like those, should definitely check out a good translation of Patrick Suskind, starting with Parfum, and the Pigeon, The Death OF Mr Somner, these books are perfect in that self-reflective film noir kind of fiction that is realistic surrealism with a kind of biting sarcasm that is not quite bitter or nihilistic or even pessimistic, more like the true artistic sense of melancholy and melodrama, or even more particularly the ideal Greek comedy (which is not quite funny by modern tastes)

I have an ecclectic taste in literature, I prefer non-fiction and history and theology texts, but I do enjoy my certain flavors of fiction. I also liked Julius Caesar and Hamlet and a Midsummer Night's Dream.. I like classics like Alexander Dumas or Gabriel Garcia-Marquez or even Homer. I have ready absolutely every single thing written by Clive Barker, and I will continue to do so in the future. Ray Bradbury fascinates me but he sort of gets a bit redundant with that whole Mars thing, but a lot of it is a gem. Huxley of course, but Brave New World is perfect whereas Ape and Essence is sort of lame actually. Chuck Palahniuk would be better if he knew any adverbs or impressive dialogue, but I enjoy the kind of free-associative style it has with a bit of grit, it just could be SOOOO much better. Surprisingly I really enjoyed these two Anne Rice novels this cool homeless lady I kick it with gave me, The Violen and the Angel, and they are both really good because they are not about vampires, but vampirish musicians, but I like anything not overtly Churchy but written from a rather religious perspective so I like Anne Rice in that regard, she nails it in the less vampire novels. Arturo Perez Reverte is also the shit, it mixes my two favorite subjects, deep religious lore and drug running, absolutely pure genius!
I don't care what you say, Carlos Castaneda is remarkable. I wish I had read some Jules Verne and I just got my first collection of short stories by Rohl Daal today. ..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2011, 04:20 AM   #3
easyrazors
little trouble girl

easyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asses
I tend to reread the same book over and over, I always come back to it. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. My girlfriend is a writer and studied literature, and can't understand why, but I guess I find it difficult to invest time in a book which may not turn out to be fantastic. I can walk out of a movie, change the music or switch over the TV, but I don't have the patience to trawl 200 pages into a new book to find that it's crap.
I look forward to the day I can download books to my brain via USB, and just delete the rubbish.
easyrazors is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2011, 04:44 AM   #4
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
when burroughs murdered shakespeare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o71Gw...eature=related
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2011, 07:36 AM   #5
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I have to read a lot of non-fiction for work. As a consequence, I mostly treat fiction (when I have time to read it) primarily as an entertaining diversion. So I mostly read crime novels, especially those by Carl Hiaasen and Elmore Leonard.
In terms of more literary fiction, I like current writers such as Ian McEwan, Michel Houllebecq, Kazuo Ishiguro and Don Dellilo but don't get much time to keep up with them.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I really like The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, 1984 by George Orwell, and Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. I also appreciate the works of dudes like Arthur C. Clarke, H.G. Wells, Clive Barker, and Stephen King. Oh, and of course Poe, and Burroughs rule. I've been wanting to give Pynchon a shot... I think it's funny how popular Palahniuk got for a second, and now he's totally "uncool". He may be somewhat of a one-trick pony, but he does his trick well, and his voice is sinister. I also think David Wellington is quite the talent.

Horror/Sci-fi novels mostly.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2011, 08:16 AM   #7
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
If you like good musician books then read Miles Davis' autobiography.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2011, 05:32 PM   #8
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I'm currently reading Kafka's THe Metamorphisis.

I love Kafka. THe Castle is my favorite book ever!

however I don't read THAT much and I don't keep up with a lot authors.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2011, 08:23 PM   #9
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I'm currently reading Kafka's THe Metamorphisis.

I love Kafka. THe Castle is my favorite book ever!

however I don't read THAT much and I don't keep up with a lot authors.

Metamorphisis is pure genius, you should get some more Kafka, though his shorter stories are a bit better reads then the longer stuff like the Trial. Kafka is about as sincerely sarcastic as 1991:The Year That Punk Broke..

Old 01.30.2011, 11:37 PM   #10
Tickerwelly
little trouble girl

Tickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's asses
I like old pulp novels by people like Charles Willeford, Jim Thompson, Philip K. Dick, etc. I do like Vonnegut quite a bit and also enjoy almost anything by Martin Amis, Nicholson Baker, Jess Walter, Jonathan Lethem. I work at a bookstore where I am almost constantly reading so I try to touch on a lot of genres but I still fail.
Old 01.30.2011, 11:41 PM   #11
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
My tastes are quite predictable, perhaps... Ballard, Burroughs, Corso, Sotos, CARLTON MELLICK III, Siratori... really, I mainly like biographies.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2011, 11:54 PM   #12
Tickerwelly
little trouble girl

Tickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's assesTickerwelly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
My tastes are quite predictable, perhaps... Ballard, Burroughs, Corso, Sotos, CARLTON MELLICK III, Siratori... really, I mainly like biographies.

I read Satan Burger only because there was a blurb on it comparing it to Vonnegut. I found the satire of it pretty funny actually but his writing is awkward as hell.
Old 01.31.2011, 02:50 AM   #13
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Kafka and Vonnegut are sublime. If you like those, should definitely check out a good translation of Patrick Suskind, starting with Parfum, and the Pigeon, The Death OF Mr Somner, these books are perfect in that self-reflective film noir kind of fiction that is realistic surrealism with a kind of biting sarcasm that is not quite bitter or nihilistic or even pessimistic, more like the true artistic sense of melancholy and melodrama, or even more particularly the ideal Greek comedy (which is not quite funny by modern tastes)

I have an ecclectic taste in literature, I prefer non-fiction and history and theology texts, but I do enjoy my certain flavors of fiction. I also liked Julius Caesar and Hamlet and a Midsummer Night's Dream.. I like classics like Alexander Dumas or Gabriel Garcia-Marquez or even Homer. I have ready absolutely every single thing written by Clive Barker, and I will continue to do so in the future. Ray Bradbury fascinates me but he sort of gets a bit redundant with that whole Mars thing, but a lot of it is a gem. Huxley of course, but Brave New World is perfect whereas Ape and Essence is sort of lame actually. Chuck Palahniuk would be better if he knew any adverbs or impressive dialogue, but I enjoy the kind of free-associative style it has with a bit of grit, it just could be SOOOO much better. Surprisingly I really enjoyed these two Anne Rice novels this cool homeless lady I kick it with gave me, The Violen and the Angel, and they are both really good because they are not about vampires, but vampirish musicians, but I like anything not overtly Churchy but written from a rather religious perspective so I like Anne Rice in that regard, she nails it in the less vampire novels. Arturo Perez Reverte is also the shit, it mixes my two favorite subjects, deep religious lore and drug running, absolutely pure genius!
I don't care what you say, Carlos Castaneda is remarkable. I wish I had read some Jules Verne and I just got my first collection of short stories by Rohl Daal today. ..

Thanx, I will check out Suskind, hope there is Finnish translations available (i´m not very fast reader and in english I could read maybe a book in a year!). I read also a many years a ago some of the Shakepears´s plays and liked them quite a lot. From the classics I liked also Rabellais. I have thought I read Cervantes Don Quiote sometime in the future. I have read some Marquez books, he´s ok but not my favourite. If I remembered correct, I have also read Bradbyry and Parker´s book and Bradbury was ok, but Parker wasn´t. Huxley´s Brand new world is great! Somebody mentioned also Poe, he´s also one of my favourite!!! If I understand correct, you haven´t read any Russian literature. I think you will like Dostoevsky: the Brothers Karamazov or Bulgakov: Master and Margarita.
Old 01.31.2011, 06:38 AM   #14
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
If you like good musician books then read Miles Davis' autobiography.

I´m not a big Miles-fan (I have something on c-cassette) but maybe I read that someday. Hope it is translated to Finnish.
Old 01.31.2011, 06:41 AM   #15
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickerwelly
Charles Willeford

I love his Hoke Mosely stuff. Miami Blues and Sideswipe are fantastic.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2011, 07:00 AM   #16
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Metamorphisis is pure genius, you should get some more Kafka, though his shorter stories are a bit better reads then the longer stuff like the Trial. Kafka is about as sincerely sarcastic as 1991:The Year That Punk Broke..

lol whioops....I meant the Trial....that's my favorite book. I don't know why I wrote the Castle.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2011, 07:28 AM   #17
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
lol whioops....I meant the Trial....that's my favorite book. I don't know why I wrote the Castle.

It´s not a long time when I read both Castle and the Trial again. I think there was over ten years since I read them before. I remembered that they were more difficult to read than I now experienced. Altough the both books are quite desperated, I still found them very attractive! When I first time read Kafka, I read all the books I found in my homevillage library and what I remembered, I then thought the short stories were much easy to read than novels. I will read them again someday, also have to read America. Damn I haven´t got enough time to read!
Old 01.31.2011, 09:31 AM   #18
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Good thread.
I'm a fan of Kafka, Paul Bowles, Vonnegut, Oscar Wilde, Henry Miller, James Joyce, Tolstoy, Thoreau, Gogol, Dostoevsky etc...

Right now I'm revisitng Peoples History by Zinn and Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell.....
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2011, 08:20 PM   #19
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I am refreshing my delight in Roald Dahl.. his work is such a fantastically original blend of vivid descriptions, clever insights, and biting humor. One of the best of the 20th century for sure..

Old 01.31.2011, 10:08 PM   #20
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
my friend just found this

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth