Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Unsane- story about playing w/ SY in 90 or 91
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.05.2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
Is there a show that stands out in your mind?
Spencer: This is one of the greatest, weird stories. We were kids and very excited to play with Sonic Youth at CBGB in '90 or '91. Me, Charlie and [original bassist] Pete Shore were the graveyard band coming on after SY! We waited through four or five opening bands. Then SY came on and could do anything they wanted so they invited up Don Fleming [of Gumball and Velvet Monkeys fame]. I knew it was the beginning of the end. He did multiple songs with them. It went on forever--and ever and ever! We were standing there with our jaws down to our stomachs thinking, Everyone will leave because it's getting so late. At 3am we go up and just attack! I wouldn't say we were angry but generally our music reflects that. But the coolest thing was that among the five people who actually stayed after SY was Gerard Cosloy from Matador. And that's how we got a deal with them.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/..._interview.php
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Coooll. thanks for the linkage. LOVE UNSANe

Ondras had the beat down.
Old 08.07.2010, 08:24 PM   #3
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
A nice story from a band I used to absolutely love. Reading the rest of that article, It's a shame to see them going down the route of playing gigs dedicated to a single album. I'll just stick to my memories of early shows when they were capable of blowing almost any band off stage with songs that, until then, I'd never heard before.

And totally agree with Rob. Charlie Ondras was a fucking GREAT drummer.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
hum just looking at the chronology, that show must have been in 1988, SY didn't play CB's in 90 or 91, and Unsane 1st album came out in 91. Or maybe there's a gig missing from the chronology, would have to scour Village Voice archive from those years, the club adds...

Hopefully they get added to Matador 21...
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2010, 10:09 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
interesting read

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2010, 10:13 AM   #6
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
great link. always loved unsane for their no-prisoners-sound

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2010, 10:17 AM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
mme too, love unsane, though I like cutthroats 9 even more.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth