Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Mariah or Kim?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.09.2006, 04:10 AM   #1
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
On Sonic Nurse track number four is titled Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream. How come on line in most places it's titled Mariah Carey and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream?

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 04:11 AM   #2
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah I've asked this question too a couple of times but nobody answered...
Old 07.09.2006, 04:21 AM   #3
Toxa
100%

Toxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's asses
"Mariah Carey and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream" is original title! I think that SY didn't want to have problems ($) with real Mariah Carey and titled album track as "Kim Gordon...."

correct me if I'm wrong
Toxa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 04:23 AM   #4
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Could be, sounds quite logical.
Old 07.09.2006, 04:26 AM   #5
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxa
"Mariah Carey and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream" is original title! I think that SY didn't want to have problems ($) with real Mariah Carey and titled album track as "Kim Gordon...."

correct me if I'm wrong

Sounds right to me.

Old 07.09.2006, 05:51 AM   #6
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxa

correct me if I'm wrong

Yeah, but I think it was more like they were actually threatened with legal action.

I thought this thread was going to be about who is more attractive. I was going to say "how the hell could you find Mariah Carey attractive?"
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 06:27 AM   #7
guitarwolf
little trouble girl

guitarwolf has tongues queuing up for a rim-festguitarwolf has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
I'm pretty sure that in the interview Thurston did for Triple J on the Sonic Nurse tour he said that they were advised to change it by Geffen's legal staff. I'm pretty sure they weren't threatened but just decided to play it safe.
guitarwolf is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 06:28 AM   #8
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, probably, my memory is vague.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 07:56 AM   #9
jheii
bad moon rising

jheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, Geffen had a problem with it. At shows they continued to introduce it as Mariah Carey, not Kim Gordon and that is generally considered to be the "real" title for the song.
Old 07.09.2006, 12:08 PM   #10
lovesonicevol
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
Yeah, but I think it was more like they were actually threatened with legal action.

I thought this thread was going to be about who is more attractive. I was going to say "how the hell could you find Mariah Carey attractive?"

Mariah Carey?........................Goo! Kim Gordon anyday.

Old 07.09.2006, 02:14 PM   #11
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Let's not forget, the song was originally released on a split 7" in 2003 as "Mariah Carey & The Arthur Doyle Hand Cream". When it was included on Nurse is when they changed the title, so it was technically released with both titles (and remains 'Mariah' on set lists).
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth