Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Making noise music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.30.2011, 11:55 PM   #21
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69

If you aren't trying to innovate new sounds, why the fuck are you bothering?

im not too crazy about this pressure that if something isnt new than it isnt worth a damn. not everything has to be innovative to be good. sometimes people should focus a lot more of their efforts in doing something thats good rather than just something that is innovative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
My advice is ... JUST MAKE NOISE. Jesus Christ, how hard can it be. NO need to intellectualize it. Just make noize, record it, and exploit the best parts that you feel are special to you. Eventually something idiosyncratic will develope from the mess. The more unrecognizable, the better.

First thing I did when I got a guitar was make noise/feedback. Remeber, Sonic Youth didn't use effect pedals until ...what.. like Goo or something, So keep that in mind.

You can always get a sampler, record shit, and mix it into one sprawling mess.

i also disagree with you. even if the music you are making is simple, you should still work for it. i dont think that the point of noise is to just make noise, but to rather achieve certain sounds that sound noisy, if that makes any sense.
i would say that getting to know your instrument and its capabilities is a good way to start rather than just bashing it. that is not to say that you should be technically good, but i do think that it is worth it to practice different things, get to know what creates certain sounds. for instance, that playing a minor second (or major seventh) or a tritone will give you the most dissonant sounds on guitar. or finding out where on your guitar the overtones are the most sustained and create feedback the quickest.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2011, 12:00 AM   #22
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Bach and Beethoven composed symphonies by notation without even having to play the instruments out.

dont want to be a douche, but i will be one anyways. that is not true about beethoven, and i dont think about bach either. beethoven would use an entire notebook in order to figure out just one theme. he would constantly change rewrite and edit his themes. mozart, on the other hand, would compose more or less straight from head to paper.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2011, 01:47 AM   #23
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.dangerousminds.net/commen...ic_documentary

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2011, 02:59 AM   #24
littlepriest
little trouble girl

littlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asseslittlepriest kicks all y'all's asses
Cool thread, here's a few tracks from a tape I'm self-releasing soon:

http://www.mediafire.com/?eb324gabubihtcc

Tell me what you think
littlepriest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2011, 02:11 PM   #25
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
im not too crazy about this pressure that if something isnt new than it isnt worth a damn. not everything has to be innovative to be good. sometimes people should focus a lot more of their efforts in doing something thats good rather than just something that is innovative.

then you're just rehashing someone else's ideas, no? It is my understanding we're talking about experimental music here, not rocknroll or other structured music.

Ultimately, though, one should do what they like and fuck what anyone else thinks. IN 50 years after you're dead someone will recognize it and make a cottage industry out of it, e.g. Angus MacLise.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2011, 02:22 PM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Everyone rehashes someone else's ideas. Very, very few people innovate. That doesn't make their 'experiments' bad, it just usually means they're not experiments in the broadest sense. The people I know who make the best music are also the people who've given up on making 'crazy new sounds' or 'experimental' things. I picked up Xenakis' Formalized Music again today, and I was struck by how little interest he has in experimentation for the sake of it, and it just interested in reflecting his non-musical interests in his music (though he seems to have a notion of a gestalt art).

Whether Xenakis was or wasn't the most innovative composer of the 20th-century is less important than the success of his work, and the work he put into developing an aesthetic - the real iconoclasts, if there are any, are working on a singular aesthetic rather than trying to break with convention.

Also, Herr fugazifan is cock on about the Beethoven/ Bach thing. Beethoven wasn't 'deaf' until the 9th, and even then there's a big debate over the extent of his deafness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2011, 03:43 PM   #27
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
IN 50 years after you're dead someone will recognize it and make a cottage industry out of it, e.g. Angus MacLise.

Sigue Sigue Sputnik used to say the same thing in interviews at the time they put out ''Flaunt It. That's how most people are deluded and that's also how old I am. Cliches Cliches.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2011, 03:45 PM   #28
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Also, how someone did make make a cottage industry out of Angus MacLise?
Old 12.06.2011, 03:56 PM   #29
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

This thread may as well lead us into wondering why people assume VU thought they were making avantgarde music. Read, pay attention and do listen. They were into mixing different musical backgrounds and spread equality amongst people. Not necessarily in a muscial way either, just relaxing attitudes towards one another. That's what it should be like to be young and enthusiastic. Not overemphasizing this jaded bullshit all the time.
Old 12.06.2011, 04:53 PM   #30
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, just make music, less talk more action
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2011, 07:35 AM   #31
gast30
invito al cielo

gast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepriest
Cool thread, here's a few tracks from a tape I'm self-releasing soon:

http://www.mediafire.com/?eb324gabubihtcc

Tell me what you think

good stuff like it
gast30 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2011, 09:26 AM   #32
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Also, how someone did make make a cottage industry out of Angus MacLise?

The past few years have seen a bunch of limited releases and publications sold at high prices as well as art shows recently, etc. $30 or $40 for a single record. That's what I mean.

I can't think of anything more useless than being in a noise cover band. Anyway, noise is oldies. in 1975 when I was a kid, they referred to the 50's music as oldies, and since noise has been around since at least the 70's, i would assert the same thing.

Noise is oldies music.

I don't think there can be a new radical form of music until we get new neural interfaces, a la John Shirley's 'bone music'.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2011, 10:28 AM   #33
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
My advice is to not make noise.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2011, 04:11 PM   #34
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
My advice is to shit in a cup.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2011, 03:23 PM   #35
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
The past few years have seen a bunch of limited releases and publications sold at high prices as well as art shows recently, etc. $30 or $40 for a single record. That's what I mean.

I can't think of anything more useless than being in a noise cover band. Anyway, noise is oldies. in 1975 when I was a kid, they referred to the 50's music as oldies, and since noise has been around since at least the 70's, i would assert the same thing.

Noise is oldies music.

I don't think there can be as new radical form of music until we get new neural interfaces, a la John Shirley's 'bone music'.

Don't get me wong, and you may a well drop the antagonistic music forum attitude for the time being, but you seem to confuse noise with avant-garde. Personally, I don't perceive the two as being the same thing because noise as your sole style of choice gives you way too much of an opportunity to let things happen by chance outside of your own control, without much of a planned strategy or command on making a challenging point you can use over and over to prove how valid it is. Effective avant-garde forms of music are pre-meditated with the precision of a blood-thirsty army, and when noise is used, it's used as a tool, not a genre of music as such. I think Sonic Youth are the perfect example. To me they used the ''uneasy element'' in their music to filter uncommon ideas and ways of making music through fairly straightforward playing. That's quite the achievement, as far as I am concerned. And they aren't an avant-garde band AT ALL.
Old 12.09.2011, 07:17 PM   #36
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
My advice is to shit in a cup.

this.
listen to this.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth