Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page No Fun Fest 2009
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.15.2009, 01:39 PM   #41
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
this will be sonic-youth gig # 11 for me.
EDIT: 12th actually, I miscounted
Old 03.06.2009, 08:37 AM   #42
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
A couple of new limited LP No Fun Productions releases, A very exciting announcement about an event we will be curating at the New Museum around the time of No Fun Fest and an update on no fun fest 2009 tickets.

Now Available on nofunproductions.com :

NFP-38 Carlos Giffoni / THE RITA 'Two on a Match' 2xLP
NFP-43 ONEOHTRIX POINT NEVER 'Betrayed in the Octagon' LP

NFP-38 Carlos Giffoni / THE RITA 'Two on a Match' 2xLP collaboration.
The ongoing study and execution of harsh noise by driven artists
constantly reinstates the medium via different techniques, concepts,
and different artist amalgamations for a collaborative work. For
myself, working with the different 'warbling' and generative moving
lines of modular synth from Carlos Giffoni offered me a chance to
investigate many different 'spaces' of tone and line manipulation.
Manipulating and playing with escalating and dying tones that all the
while keep a throbbing pace was something that I always wanted to work
with being a fan of the jutting and tremolo-like rough 'wave' tones of
harsh noise artists from Aaron Dilloway/Spine Scavenger to Atrax
Morgue. The opportunity of working with the sources of Carlos Giffoni
was exciting as I got to manipulate 'dirty' and constantly moving
cutting modular synth electronics, the challenge being making the
lines articulate with something of THE RITA's hiss and pedal driven
nature. The examination and crossing of the different LINES slowly
become their own parallel entity as the adjoined and wavy synth lines
are further dirtied, cut repeatedly, and joined with the knife of
'gated' and cutting HN pedal work. Not unlike the manipulation of the
textural, rough, and linear landscape pieces of Richard Longs mixed
with the 'chopping', yet smooth lines of Donald Judd's installations.
Both exude the same amount of power, but via very different textural
'lines' of installation. To further manipulate and display the
different lines and HN stylizations, Giffoni had the opportunity to
heavily edit the textural work of THE RITA to exude the constantly
moving and jutting sense of Giffoni's own pulsing and driving synth
decay via the dirtied analog source material of THE RITA. Modular
snyth and pedal work have been long standing tools in the world of
harsh noise, but not often are they crossed over with such
investigative and crackling tendencies – a virtual criss-crossing of
the different technical lines. - Sam McKinlay(THE RITA) - Limited to
300 copies

NFP-43 ONEOHTRIX POINT NEVER 'Betrayed in the Octagon' LP
Oneohtrix Point Never is Daniel Lopatin's project of polysynth epic
electronic sound. Cascading melodies, holistic drones, and folding
tones combine to create a dichotomy of sound that reflects on the
organic discovery of our nature and the infinity possibilities within
our enclosed human systems. Betrayed in the Octagon is a frozen
fantasy, a liminal record that brings to mind caves and other hidden
places where life started billions of years ago. OPN is a lost soul
from the poysynth epoch giving a nod to the old masters while moving
trough the systems of 21st century life and reflecting them in the
pure beauty of total electronic moving sound. Originally released as a
cassette on Deception Island in 2007, Octagon was the first OPN
release. NFP is proud to bring it back re-sequenced and re-mastered
for vinyl as the first OPN LP, limited to 300 copies. Artwork by Chris
Madak.
----------------------------------------------------------
No Fun 2009: Infinite Sound and Image

Saturday, May 16th, 3pm at
the New Museum
235 Bowery
New York, NY
$6 Members, $8 General Public

In its sixth year, the No Fun Festival has emerged as one of the most unique and vital festivals for experimental music worldwide. Curated by No Fun organizer and label head Carlos Giffoni, this special screening will present moving image work by a selection of artists performing in the 2009 festival.

Jim O'Rourke and filmmaker Makino Takashi collaborate on The Seasons, a dense abstract film that fluctuates in tandem with O'Rourke's dramatic and resonant score. Robert Beatty (of Hair Police and Three Legged Race) will provide a live soundtrack to artist Takeshi Murata's hypnotic videos and animations. Experimental filmmaker and sound artist Sarah Lipstate (of Noveller) presents Interior Variations, a collage of 16mm hand-painted film, black and white super 8mm, and found footage, which will be accompanied by a new Noveller composition titled "Telecine". Dominick Fernow/Prurient will screen spins the worlds wheel again a short film inspired by his 180 page hardcover book of collages Rose Pillar on Heartworm Press which deals directly with mortality within the family structure. Sound artist/composer
C. Spencer Yeh (of Burning Star Core), known for his arrangements that draw on both aural and physical experience, will premiere a new work using voice as its central component. Megan Ellis and Carlos Giffoni will also showcase a new piece, created specifically for this show, which will pair minimalist visuals with an evolving electronic sound score.

This event is part of Rhizome's New Silent Series at the New Museum
http://rhizome.org
http://www.newmuseum.org/event_series/new_silent
----------------------------------------------------------

Tickets for saturday and the 3 day pass for No Fun Fest are completely sold out. less than 40 tickets remain for Sunday and less than 100 for Friday. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR SUPPORT!

If you don't have a ticket this is the time to get them. There will not be any more tickets released. A handful of people might be able to get in on the day of the show depending on how many people leave early/don't make it to the event, but there is no guarantee of any tickets being available at the door at all.

again thanks. and looking forward to seeing everyone in May.

C.G. / No Fun
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2009, 04:35 PM   #43
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
im going on saturday and sunday. friday is subsequtnyl my last day of finals so i am to fly into JFK friday night, stay at my uncle's studio (hes a photographer, joshua lehrer, also the boyfriend of one of the producers of RENT, jeffrey sellers, ellos tienen mucho dinero) where I am to meet my brother. Well then take the train into Brooklyn.

Anyone want to meet up at the show, get drunk and high with my brother and I, can contact me at alehrer1@email.arizona.edu prior to the show.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2009, 10:29 PM   #44
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Last minute changes for No Fun Fest, specifically for the Sunday May 17 night:

CON-DOM is canceling due to a serious health problem. Its really something beyond everyones control and we just want to wish Mike the best and a speedy recovery.

We have added an act in the open spot we feel is very exciting for us and we are very much looking forward to seeing this. We think anyone's that's already bought tickets will have something special to look forward to with this set:

Prurient / Kevin Drumm

www.nofunfest.com/2009.html for a look at the updated lineup.

all tickets except a few single tickets for Friday are now gone. Hurry up and buy those if you want to catch some of the fest.

see you in a few months.

C.G. / No Fun
Old 03.24.2009, 07:02 PM   #45
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
i dont know why i bought two saturday tickets but i did awhile ago. i figured i'd have someone to take but as of right now, i don't. so maybe i'll give the other ticket away to anyone here
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2009, 09:22 PM   #46
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Shit, I'd be ever so grateful for for that ticket. I managed to get a friday and sunday ticket, and I've gone to all previous No Fun's and haven't missed a day yet... Also if "sucking up" or "trying to impress" helps, know that Untitled #12 is my favorite song, haha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
i dont know why i bought two saturday tickets but i did awhile ago. i figured i'd have someone to take but as of right now, i don't. so maybe i'll give the other ticket away to anyone here
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2009, 12:20 PM   #47
Jerry Garcia
little trouble girl

Jerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's asses
Hey ... I'm coming to this show from out-of-town ...

Is there anywhere to stay in the $100 / night ballpark??
Jerry Garcia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2009, 01:25 AM   #48
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
you can def find something in Queens for around 100 bucks, theres couple of hotels near queens plaza/ long island city for around that price. Pan American on Queens Blvd too. Do a search on expedia.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2009, 05:49 AM   #49
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
there are a few cheap youth hostels in Brooklyn, me and my pal are staying in one of those
Old 04.24.2009, 09:23 AM   #50
Jerry Garcia
little trouble girl

Jerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's assesJerry Garcia kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks ... Mapquest is showing me that the East Village hotels may actaully be closer than the Brooklyn ones.

Sorry to derail!
Jerry Garcia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2009, 10:39 AM   #51
hooligan37
little trouble girl

hooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asseshooligan37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgekrz
you can def find something in Queens for around 100 bucks, theres couple of hotels near queens plaza/ long island city for around that price. Pan American on Queens Blvd too. Do a search on expedia.

Ya Hotel 17 in the village is around $120 after the taxes. I stay there a lot.
hooligan37 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2009, 01:17 PM   #52
Moshe
Super Moderator

Sonic Youth minus Lee will perform May 16 at the 2009 No Fun Festival which will run May 15,16,17 at Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn, New York. Speculation abounds about who could fill in on Lee’d guitar.
Old 04.27.2009, 01:42 PM   #53
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
Sonic Youth minus Lee will perform May 16 at the 2009 No Fun Festival which will run May 15,16,17 at Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn, New York. Speculation abounds about who could fill in on Lee’d guitar.

So...Sonic Youth are NOT playing at No Fun.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2009, 02:08 PM   #54
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Interesting.
Old 04.27.2009, 02:18 PM   #55
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
So...Sonic Youth are NOT playing at No Fun.

not necessarily, i recall in late 05 Kim, T and Steve playing as a trio in Northampton then new RR songs, they were billed as SY i believe
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2009, 02:22 PM   #56
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
So long as they are billed as SY, I shall count it as show 40.
Old 04.27.2009, 02:46 PM   #57
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
not necessarily, i recall in late 05 Kim, T and Steve playing as a trio in Northampton then new RR songs, they were billed as SY i believe

oh yeah wide and extensive publicity for that one.

all thats left is for Bardo Pond to drop off the bill.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2009, 03:44 PM   #58
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia

"Sonic Mirror"
http://ecstaticpeace.com/multimedia/sonic_mirror.mov

For now they're still billed as SY at No Fun though.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 06:02 AM   #59
whorefrost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe

whoa.. that's sort of.. bogus..
Old 04.30.2009, 05:27 PM   #60
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
anyone have an extra ticket for sale?
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth