Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Turkey and the US in the Syrian Civil War
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.26.2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Robert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's asses
The way I see it:

The Turks and Iranians are terrified of the Kurds (i.e., the "moderate rebels") gaining their own state whose policy might be to assist Kurdish separatists in Turkey and Iran. (They already have a de facto state in northern Iraq.) The Wahhabist Salafist Sunni Islamists are the only non-Kurdish force-in-being in the region who oppose Assad, whom the Turks adjudged, at the onset of the conflict in 2011, to be too weak to effectively prevent the establishment of a Kurdish state in northen Syria.

In my opinion, a comprehensive permanent regional settlement absolutely requires an independent Kurdistan, but all of the states in which Kurds live vehemently oppose the idea.

By the way, under the US Constitution, the current US involvement in the war against Assad (i.e., the current Syrian state) requires a Congressional declaration of war against Syria. None has been requested by Obama nor offered sua sponte by Congress, so the war would appear to me to be illegal under US law.
Robert Schunk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2015, 03:50 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
US has been arming the Kurdish militias. True there is no legal frameworks for the airstrikes but there has been more or less tactical approval. Indeed most Americans got a hard on about Putin even while US has actually been doing MORE airstrikes than Russia

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Robert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
US has been arming the Kurdish militias. True there is no legal frameworks for the airstrikes but there has been more or less tactical approval. Indeed most Americans got a hard on about Putin even while US has actually been doing MORE airstrikes than Russia

I realize that the US has been arming the Kurds (thus the de facto Kurdish state in northern Iraq), but now US special forces are on the ground in Syria. That does require a declaration of war, as the stated purpose of overthrowing the Assad regime clearly lies beyond the scope of protecting the forces authorized for Iraq against ISIS.
Robert Schunk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2015, 04:43 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not saying i agree with it, just saying US has been operating with more or less tactical approval and indeed its clear there is popular support. And the legal support for US operations is the decade old approval for war in Iraq and the current Iraqi "government" approval. Those in Syria are indeed "illegal" which is why for most of past five years the majority of operations against IS have been in Iraq

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth