Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Are albums dead?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.12.2010, 02:55 AM   #41
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
There sure are way too many artists with sprawling discographies that are ok at times but far from essential.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 02:56 AM   #42
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I think 80 minute albums are dead. They need to start putting music on DVD's. THat way you can fill hundreds of minutes. That way drone bands can really have lots of fun. "Man, minute 636 is when it stars gettin' GOOD!"
Wow, that's a great idea... What about blu rays? Then they can have live links where you can click on individual band members, and bring up detailed histories or analyses of their musical perspectives....
Old 05.12.2010, 02:57 AM   #43
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
You mean concept albums?

If the concept album is dying, I'll fucking rejoice in the streets. Concept albums are mostly wank.

And I still don't see evidence of the end of the concept album beyond peevish message board rants from people who listen to too much Frank Zappa and Primus (which, for the record, is any).
I prefer concept albums. I don't think I could make a case for them, though. I just do.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 03:13 AM   #44
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Dnt wasn't making a point about concept albums as such, I think.
Old 05.12.2010, 03:24 AM   #45
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
Wow, that's a great idea... What about blu rays? Then they can have live links where you can click on individual band members, and bring up detailed histories or analyses of their musical perspectives....
The problem isn't the format itself but the fact that before you press the record button you had enough time to make the previous 6 minutes or so of your masterpiece a relevant part of the piece of music you thought was fit for release. I believe it comes with understanding old fashioned concepts like restraint and quality control, as well as vision and desire to catch the listener's imagination.
Old 05.12.2010, 05:18 AM   #46
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
The problem isn't the format itself but the fact that before you press the record button you had enough time to make the previous 6 minutes or so of your masterpiece a relevant part of the piece of music you thought was fit for release. I believe it comes with understanding old fashioned concepts like restraint and quality control, as well as vision and desire to catch the listener's imagination.
I understand, completely... Which is why it's such a waste... Like SY, then visionaries like Richard D. James, technology was very much a big part of the vision and voice of these people; like Kubrick's technical genius and Welles' before him...

To paraphrase something or other; never has so much benefitted so little people... It's as if... Pattern recognition is on the run; Derrick Mays once said; Singapore can never make a Beatles or a Rolling Stones; you ain't got no rebel alliance; if you're so comfortable; there is no reason to change the status quo... No one seems motivated enough; there's always reasons and justifications upon each other...

Computers can think; at the speed of atoms; but they can never feel...
Old 05.12.2010, 08:40 AM   #47
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
"Man, minute 636 is when it stars gettin' GOOD!"

YES!!!!
Old 05.12.2010, 08:41 AM   #48
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
this is not about concept albums. It is about a cohesive suite of songs, arranged in a specific, well-thought out way, that maximizes the enjoyment for the listener.
Old 05.12.2010, 08:43 AM   #49
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Mixtapes are killing albums...
Old 05.12.2010, 08:51 AM   #50
alyasa
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Mixtapes are killing albums...
Why? I bet a lot of artists who went on to make great albums started out doing mixtapes in their parents' basement or something... Do you mean people aren't buying albums coz they're too busy making mixtapes? That's like saying books will die out, coz people can make collages...
Old 05.12.2010, 09:03 AM   #51
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
Why? I bet a lot of artists who went on to make great albums started out doing mixtapes in their parents' basement or something... Do you mean people aren't buying albums coz they're too busy making mixtapes? That's like saying books will die out, coz people can make collages...

no I just mean I downloaded a ton of Gucci Mane mixtapes but never got around to BUYING his last album.
Old 05.12.2010, 09:09 AM   #52
krischanski
children of satan

krischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asseskrischanski kicks all y'all's asses
It's all about technics and machines. Today you don't need expensive studio equipment and engineers who know to run it, only to record some songs, so you don't need to spend time for it. Play around with some beeping programs and burn it on cd-r, and also the manufacturing of real cds or vinyls is cheapier as ever. Everybody can do it, it's not a professional's key. The much more work for a good Album leads to products which look like nearly the same, so why spend so much more time and money for the minimal difference?
____
krischanski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 09:17 AM   #53
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischanski
It's all about technics and machines. Today you don't need expensive studio equipment and engineers who know to run it, only to record some songs, so you don't need to spend time for it. Play around with some beeping programs and burn it on cd-r, and also the manufacturing of real cds or vinyls is cheapier as ever. Everybody can do it, it's not a professional's key. The much more work for a good Album leads to products which look like nearly the same, so why spend so much more time and money for the minimal difference?

I think yr right.

For while I've thought that it's great the ANYBODY can now record a CDR that sounds as good as an album, but at the same time it sucks because the market is flooded with so much cheapo product that it sort of devalues things.
Old 05.12.2010, 09:32 AM   #54
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
And this liberation leads to the underground scene we have today where bands release a new set of jams every few weeks, often sounding the exact same as what they've did before. I think it would benefit these type of bands if they just tried to sum everything up in a few albums. Of course this wouldn't apply to a band like Sun City Girls where it's certainly not possible to sum them up with only a couple of records.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 10:40 AM   #55
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Why put 12 killer songs on one album when you can put three on one album and fill the rest up with semi-good tunes thus creating 4 albums instead of 1.
Old 05.12.2010, 11:12 AM   #56
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

to not be a greedy hack? to create ART?
Old 05.12.2010, 11:20 AM   #57
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
why create art when you can be a greedy hack?
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 11:40 AM   #58
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
SYRFox has a good point.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 11:48 AM   #59
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Who creates art in this day and age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2010, 11:58 AM   #60
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

<---

Or at least tries to

especially when Miley Cyrus is grinding against 45 year old gay men
http://www.dlisted.com/?mediaKey=c11...sShareURL=true

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth