Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page disappointing bands
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.20.2008, 08:20 AM   #101
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I can take it
Old 05.20.2008, 08:36 AM   #102
sarramkrop

Guided By Voices have put a lot of records out. Sometimes they are half brilliant and sometimes half not. Dooooo do do do doooo dooo.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 08:45 AM   #103
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I know they make the angry/sad girls cry
Old 05.20.2008, 08:46 AM   #104
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Archers of Loaf are AWFUL.
Like unlistenable.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 09:21 AM   #105
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

you so crazy savage.

the Loaf is fabulous.

Old 05.20.2008, 09:21 AM   #106
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
archers of loaf sound like pearl jam covering pavement

GBV aren't a band for girls to cry over at all! they sound like the post-punk version of the who or the beatles.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 01:08 PM   #107
koolthing78
bad moon rising

koolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
A few recent dissapointments...

Joanna Newsom
Animal Collective
Vampire Weekend
Deerhoof

I realize that these acts are popular with some of the members of this board. I am NOT listing them to be controversial or anything silly like that. I actually checked them out because of mentions/praise on this board. After downloading a couple of albums, I honestly did not find anything to like about any of them. Vampire Weekend are dull, Deerhoof are too silly for words and both Newsom and Animal Collective are simply unbearable.

Maybe I just don't "get it" like some people "don't get" Sonic Youth. Actually, I can completely sympathize with people who hate Sonic Youth. I just happen to like SY's brand of weirdness/uniqueness... these other artists, not so much.

Bravo for a well-put "don't take it personally" band diss! Still, I feel compelled to say that part of the reason I love Deerhoof is that underneath their silly exterior, they actually appear to be saying something meaningful (when you can understand her, at least). "Plus 44" is about out of control urbanization, "Choco Fight"...well, I'm not really sure. The best I could come up with is a critique of the type of depraved person who would buy a mail order bride. But the best one is "Matchbook Seeks Maniac," which seems to be about power hungry world leaders, like Bush or Kim Jong Il:
"How does no one know what I want? Oh no!
I am not a boy, I got a lot a power
All the power!
Matchbook seeks, matchbook seeks maniac
I would sell my soul to the devil
if I can be the top of the world"
etc.

But to be fair, the first few times I tried to like them (after hearing all the praise), I was equally underwhelmed. I just happened to give them a third try out of boredom (I don't follow that many bands, so exciting new music doesn't come along that often for me).

I saw the "Black Angels" mentioned, and they were kind of the same deal for me. I heard "Black Grease," bought the 4-song ep, then was completely underwhelmed by them. Until much later, when I was bored, and gave it another spin (and smoked a joint, which I'm sure helped). I then realized (dumb that I hadn't sooner--it's not *that* big of a stretch) that "The First Vietnamese War" is a totally awesome critique of "this" Vietnam war (Iraq), and the rest of the songs were good too (especially "Manipulation"--I *love* the "scene change" chimes they throw in between chorus and next verse).

Still, that's not to say a person couldn't listen to these albums a THOUSAND times and still not be keen on them. That's the beauty of opinions!
Either I don't understand the point of "repping," or I do and it really is pointless. Fortunately I'm colorblind, so it wouldn't make sense to concern myself with being concerned about it in the first place.

www.myspace.com/koolthing78
koolthing78 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 01:20 PM   #108
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
archers of loaf sound like pearl jam covering pavement

GBV aren't a band for girls to cry over at all! they sound like the post-punk version of the who or the beatles.

The Loaf RULES

pearl jam covering pavement? what are you listenting to?

it definitely is not Icky mettle, Speed of CAttle, Vee Vee, or All The Nations Airports man. either that or you do not know what pavement nor pearl jam sound like!

harnessed in slums
http://youtube.com/watch?v=25ymumzyWMU

Web In Front
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3oFSvbY6Itg&feature=related

What Did YOu Expect?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=z7dvtkplRBE&feature=related

Lowest part Is Free
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MB6Xh1fZ1wY&feature=related

Might
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KrfpNboPj-I&feature=related
Old 05.20.2008, 02:34 PM   #109
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Icky Mettle is really fucking good.

Archers of Loaf and Guided by Voices sound nothing alike, unless someone's just going to throw every band together that has every released something that could be considered "lo-fi".

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 02:41 PM   #110
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
I've never met a girl who cries over GBV and infact hardly know any that listen to them.

& Im from Ohio.

I'd say half of their music is low fi pop and the other half is low fi classic rock all with underlying post punk.

I dig their low fi pop stuff personally alittle better, it seems more creative then when they just tried to 'rawk out'
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 02:43 PM   #111
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
also i've never heard archers of loaf but I bet they're just 'hard' baby shit

its all dried up baby shit if you're looking throught he right lense
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 02:48 PM   #112
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
hahahah! archers of loaf is noise anthemic wall of searing sound rock!

guided by voices is soft baby shit!

Like I said, don't ask me why.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 02:58 PM   #113
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I've been disappointed by just about everything Jon Spencer's done since Pussy Galore. And that's a lot of disappointment; that mofos proLIFic.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 05:20 PM   #114
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
all of wileys albums & mixtapes, infact most grime albums & mixtapes are disappointing compared to the pirate radio stuff
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 05:23 PM   #115
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Another band : Bloc Party.
I 've listened to a b-side of one of their firt ep's, and I liked the song ( "The Marshalls are dead"). When the album came out, I bought it without reading any music critic, and as soon as I 've listened to the first songs, I said "what's that shit ?!!!"
Fucking lame band...

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 07:49 PM   #116
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
lou reed has dissapointed a few times over his career

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 11:25 PM   #117
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
yes, the cramps are like rocky horror-billy

boring.

I do not "hate" the animal collective. I just find their albums to be very hit or miss. some songs are just straight up filler BS.

i love the first two cramps albums. anything else is very very hit and miss (mostly miss). i, also, love the gun club.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2008, 11:45 PM   #118
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
lou reed has dissapointed a few times over his career

HAH YES!
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 03:09 AM   #119
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Bloc Party just reminds me of a band who listened to Les Savy Fav a few times and went, "Hey, let's make this sound even more commercial and little-sister-friendly." Lame as hell.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2008, 04:26 AM   #120
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I agree with Adam

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth