Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Your five favourite thrash/speed metal albums.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.02.2008, 02:17 PM   #1
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

lechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asses
!@#$%
lechaoscestmoi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2008, 02:49 PM   #2
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
sadus - a vision of misery
coroner - grin
kreator - cause for a conflict
sepultura - arise
megadeth - countdown to extinction
Old 12.02.2008, 03:12 PM   #3
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
megadeth - peace sells
metallica - master of puppets
slayer - seasons in the abyss
tankard - the morning after
kreator - coma of souls
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2008, 06:00 PM   #4
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
good one:

1. Metallica-Kill em All
2. Slayer-Reign in Blood
3. Metallica-Master of Puppets
4. Slayer-Haunting the Chapel EP
5. Celtic Frost-De Mysteriees Dom Santhanas
6. Voivod-Killing Technology

Yknow what I realized? If there is any contemporary music I HATE today is stupid lame party thrash and overly technical and formulaic grindcore, im talking bands like municipal waste and cephalic carnage and shit like that. also, i realized i hate all metalcore, whether it be integrity or converge, or even the artier stuff like botch. why you ask? because it takes the punk out of hardcore and the fun and/or meaning out of music. thing is, i liked this music, or i thought i did, untill 6 months ago. since then ive made a point of selling off all this shit.

fact of the matter is, hardcore, grindcore, thrash metal, death metal, and grindcore were all once in a lifetime movements of unbelievable creativity and innovation that can not be created. punk rock has survived because it splintered off and became more experimental, but then the bands that just copied hardcore did it more lame and unoriginal. like, as hard as pig destroyer tries to make thier "scum". it just wont happen. thrash peaked with "reign in blood". real hardcore as far as we care died shit in the us in 86, and prolly worldwide around 89. the whole point of grindcore was to make this ultra lo fi agressive hardcore music that was still oddly technical and progressive, but now all these bands just try and throw in as many blast beats into a song as possible.

the only genre of metal that still seems to be doing ok is black metal, as the old bands like gorgoroth have no problem totally sticking to thier already perfected, and new bands have no problem playing around with experimental sounds, and pyha's "haunted house" is twistedly brilliant. looks like for now, extreme music will be mostly noise and no wave. not that i have a problem with that, id rather listen to cock esp than (insert goofy grindcore name here) for however long the screeeching noise makes me go deaf.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2008, 11:23 PM   #5
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
1. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
2. Motorhead - Ace of Spades
3. Sepultura - Roots
4. Accept - Restless & Wild
5. Voivod - Nothingface
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2008, 11:59 PM   #6
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=batreleaser]
Yknow what I realized? If there is any contemporary music I HATE today is stupid lame party thrash and overly technical and formulaic grindcore, im talking bands like municipal waste and cephalic carnage and shit like that. also, i realized i hate all metalcore, whether it be integrity or converge, or even the artier stuff like botch. why you ask? because it takes the punk out of hardcore and the fun and/or meaning out of music. thing is, i liked this music, or i thought i did, untill 6 months ago. since then ive made a point of selling off all this shit.
quote]

i agree. but i came to realize how much metalcore sucked 6 years ago. i've always hated all that dumb thrash shit that only crust punks or 15 year old kids like. the only 90's hardcore records i have left are "firestorm" (cause it's cheesy as hell) and reversal of man's "revolution summer". i still have a few cds from that era. i talk to friends about those times as great and fun times, because they were, but i try to listen to the music now and i can only get through one song, if that.

hardcore died in america around 1983 and then got woken up for a little bit around 88 and then died again.

hardcore and metalcore in the mid to late 90's was fun for 17 year old straight edge kids who liked to mosh and wear new balances and hoodies. that basically described me.

back to the question. i don't really like much thrash, so i'll just say old metallica and slayer.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 12:11 AM   #7
luckynumber9
bad moon rising

luckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard sucka
I don't listen to much thrash either, but from what I've heard:

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains

and we looked
and we passed
through the hallway of shatterproof glass
luckynumber9 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 03:10 AM   #8
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
in my opinion threash peaked with SADUS, who developed death in a way. SWALLOWED IN BLACK is a turning point in structures and lyrics.
Old 12.03.2008, 03:25 AM   #9
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
For once a thread I can participate in! Thrash/speed metal is MY main root for music. For awhile, it was all together my favourite genre.

1. Kreator - Coma Of Souls
2. Megadeth - So Far... So Good... So What!
3. Sodom - Tapping The Vein
4. Coroner - RIP
5. Destruction - The Antichrist
6. Possessed - Seven Churches
7. Mortal Sin - Face Of Despair
8. Voivod - War & Pain
9. Slaughter - Strappado
10. Torture Squad - Pandemonium
vulva is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 08:59 AM   #10
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

lechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
5. Celtic Frost-De Mysteriees Dom Santhanas
ain't that a mayhem album?
Old 12.03.2008, 09:06 AM   #11
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=uhler]
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
quote]

i agree. but i came to realize how much metalcore sucked 6 years ago. i've always hated all that dumb thrash shit that only crust punks or 15 year old kids like. the only 90's hardcore records i have left are "firestorm" (cause it's cheesy as hell) and reversal of man's "revolution summer". i still have a few cds from that era. i talk to friends about those times as great and fun times, because they were, but i try to listen to the music now and i can only get through one song, if that.

hardcore died in america around 1983 and then got woken up for a little bit around 88 and then died again.

hardcore and metalcore in the mid to late 90's was fun for 17 year old straight edge kids who liked to mosh and wear new balances and hoodies. that basically described me.

back to the question. i don't really like much thrash, so i'll just say old metallica and slayer.

metalcore is terrible, just the sound of it yknow its gonna be pure macho sleaze bullshit. these bands think they can throw in as many chug riffs and blast beats in a song as possible and get artistic cred, fuck that. these dudes just dont get it, you know?
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 09:23 AM   #12
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

yeah, i can't stand that music. even stuff like converge which i used to kinda like, simply don't do a thing for me anymore.
Old 12.03.2008, 09:30 AM   #13
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Converge are actually the only metalcore band I like.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 09:32 AM   #14
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

jane doe is pretty much superior to any other album in that genre.
Old 12.03.2008, 04:19 PM   #15
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=batreleaser]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler

metalcore is terrible, just the sound of it yknow its gonna be pure macho sleaze bullshit. these bands think they can throw in as many chug riffs and blast beats in a song as possible and get artistic cred, fuck that. these dudes just dont get it, you know?

or you get the really macho meathead bands that only care about the breakdown. i remember when i was younger i would always wait for the breakdown and until it came i was like, "this song sucks." then the breakdown came and i was all about it.
Old 12.03.2008, 04:22 PM   #16
uhler
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechaoscestmoi
jane doe is pretty much superior to any other album in that genre.

i think they peaked with "petitioning the empty sky". with "jane doe" i thought they threw too much shit in one blender just to see how it would sound when it came out.
Old 12.03.2008, 04:54 PM   #17
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Anthrax - Among The Living
Stormtroopers Of Death - Speak English Or Die
Various (Stupids / Electro Hippies / Extreme Noise Terror / Bolt Thrower / Intense Degree / Unseen Terror / Napalm Death / Doctor and the Crippens / Doom) - Hardcore Holocaust (87-88 Peel Sessions)
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 06:28 PM   #18
el duderino
bad moon rising

el duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's asses
Thrash ended when Dave Mustaine turned Christian.
el duderino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 07:20 PM   #19
max
expwy. to yr skull

here's your sorry pathetic ass showing up for more displays of ignorance. mustaine knew his shit, but there's always been a shitload of bands that brought thrash forward.
you just lose, dude.
Old 12.03.2008, 07:25 PM   #20
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth